PDA

View Full Version : Hi Neebie needing camping spots in the Swell

Mountaincin
04-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie to this site. We are headed for San Rafael Swell on Monday. We are coming from Colorado and my brother and wife are coming from California. Looking for suggestions for camping ( pop-up and small trailer) in the swell. Planning on staying for 5 days to hike and bike.
Any and all suggestions would be most welcomed!
We would like to set up a remote type camp with great view and seclusion!
Any suggestions for day hikes or biking trails or sites not to miss would be appreciated.
Since cell phones have spotty reception in the area , we need to decide where to camp and meet before hand.
Thanks,
Cindy

Reedus
04-27-2006, 03:45 PM
The Baptist Draw trailhead has some awesome views of Chute Canyon gorge. The road out there is a little rough but doable in two wheel drive provided there is no mud. Also, Hidden Splendor mine has some good campsites to that have a great view of the muddy river gorge. Where exactly are you planning on biking? The Swell is a big place.

Reed

Iceaxe
04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
If I were planning to hike and bike for 5 days I would set up at the old Hidden Splendor Mine. Here are the driving instructions and a fun hike

Muddy River Gorge
http://climb-utah.com/SRS/mcgorge.htm

Other fun places to camp might be "Tomsich Butte" and the "The Wedge"

Here are driving instructions to Tomsich and anther fun hike

The Chute
http://climb-utah.com/SRS/thechute.htm

Sorry but I don't have driving instructions for The Wedge. One thing to keep in mind is great views can translate into massive wind storms.

:rockon:

Mountaincin
04-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas. Yesterday I decided to limit out time to south of I-70. Since out arrival times could vary alot and cell phones might not work, I decided we would spend the first night in the campground at Goblin Valley. This way we'll find one another! Then will find other spots to stay.
Hoping to hike The Chute and Muddy Creek for starters.
Could use suggestions for easier bike rides in the area , my brother and his wife have just started biking.
Also would like to hike the Wild Horse and Bell Canyon loop. How hard is this hike?
What 's over near Torrey? Trail or camping....
Thanks!!!

DirkHammergate
05-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas. Yesterday I decided to limit out time to south of I-70. Since out arrival times could vary alot and cell phones might not work, I decided we would spend the first night in the campground at Goblin Valley. This way we'll find one another! Then will find other spots to stay.
Hoping to hike The Chute and Muddy Creek for starters.
Could use suggestions for easier bike rides in the area , my brother and his wife have just started biking.
Also would like to hike the Wild Horse and Bell Canyon loop. How hard is this hike?
What 's over near Torrey? Trail or camping....
Thanks!!!

I just got back from the Temple Mtn area with the family, it was so nice down there, went as far as I could take my 6 and 3 year old down Crack canyon. I love this place... Next year Little Wild Horse with them.

Torrey has been my wife and I's place to cool down after hitting Coyote Gluch or anything that side of Hwy 24 and 12. I keep telling my wife that's where we're going to retire in 30 years, I've gotten her to agree to late spring through early fall. I've got 30 years to work on the year round route.

Did you enjoy your trip?