PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Splendor History

Iceaxe
04-25-2006, 08:32 AM
I have a small amount of history on the Hidden Splendor Mine located on my Knotted Rope webpage.

http://climb-utah.com/SRS/knotted.htm

Anyhoo..... I recieved this email and thought I would share it with you. It's pretty interesting if you enjoy knowing the history of this stuff. Sorry about the all caps. This is how it was sent to me.

WE LIVED IN THE MUDDY RIVER FOR 3 YEARS, OUR DAD BUD CAIRNS WORKED THE HIDDEN SPLENDOR MINES AS A MECHANIC, AND MY SISTERS HUSBAND ELMER WILLIAMS(SPARKY) THE MINES ELECTRICIAN FOR PECK /PICK? THERE WAS EIGHT OF US KIDS AND THEY USED TO FLY IN A SCHOOL TEACHER EVERY MONDAY FOR US KID AND FLY HER BACK TO LOA, UTAH ON FRI. HER NAKE WAS BERYL OKERLUND AND THERE WAS A COOK AT THE MAIN CAMP BY THE NAME OF ANGIE. THIS WAS 1952/53/54. THERE WAS AN OLD INDIAN THERE WHO WORE LOTS OF TURQUOISE AND SILVER JEWELERY. AND CAUGHT WILD HORSES IN SNARES. I WAS 13 AND MY BROTHER 12, AND WE HAD SOME WILD EXPERIENCES THERE. RIDING 12 BY 4 PLANKS DOWN THE RIVER WHEN EVER THERE WAS A FLASH FLOOD. I WILL NEVER FORGET MY YEARS AT THE MUDDY RIVER

THANKS FOR THIS SITE
TERRY PUCCINI

:popcorn:

stefan
04-25-2006, 08:38 AM
RIDING 12 BY 4 PLANKS DOWN THE RIVER WHEN EVER THERE WAS A FLASH FLOOD. I WILL NEVER FORGET MY YEARS AT THE MUDDY RIVER

Where do i sign up?! :popcorn:

btw thanks for the info

Reedus
04-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Hmmm... I guess this stunt classifies me as a Candy Ass

Iceaxe
04-25-2006, 09:46 AM
I've asked for some old pictures or any other info..... If anything else shows up worth while I'll post it here.

Iceaxe
04-25-2006, 03:03 PM
This info is golden........

[color=darkblue]HELLO SHANE

WELL, I DON

James_B_Wads2000
04-25-2006, 04:25 PM
That's an awesome email, thanks for sharing Shane. I couldn't think of a cooler place to grow up as a kid, I am jealous. Did she say where she lives now? You should take her back there and show her around and have her tell you more stories.

James :2thumbs:

Scott Card
04-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Shane, that is great stuff. If you do as James suggests and line something up to get her out here I would be happy to come cook up a feast so long as you color clothing on all your nudie pics. :lol8: seriously, I would love to here more and I would cook. My uncle was a big prospector and made good money on the uranium boom but I never heard many stories about it cause he passed away several years ago from cancer.... I wonder if there was a link... uranium....cancer hummmmm. Ya think?

Sombeech
04-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Wow, those are some great stories. :popcorn:

Iceaxe
04-30-2006, 02:30 PM
For those who have asked.... If I understand this correctly Terry Puccini was the daughter of Bud Cairns who worked at the Hidden Splendor in the early 50's.

I have also invited Elmer Williams who was the camp electrician to join this thread. apparently he was known as Kilowatt's around the camp.

Here is hoping that Elmer will join us and that Terry will continue to entertain us with tales of the old mine and San Rafael Swell.

Ryebrye
04-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Some film student should do a documentary on these guys. A few interviews + lots of background work (photos... etc) and a trip with those guys down to the swell to get some amera time on the actual area would be quite interesting.

Maybe you could even get into sundance if you had the right spin on it... but I guess that spin would probably involve lots of strange sex acts.

Iceaxe
05-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I agree it would be nice to have some type of Hidden Splendor record, which is kind of why I have been posting this stuff here. At least it is somewhere. I have looked for Hidden Splendor history in the past and it is pretty thin.

Anyhoo.... here is some more info for your reading pleasure....

Shane; I was the mine elect from 1955 till the Mine closed then was transfered to the Far West mine at Moab"La Sall" for a few more years. When you go down from the old river cabins there is a fresh water spring that comes into the muddy from the south side. it is the only good water in the area that I know of. The spring runs year round. Hope some day to come back and see a rainstorm form a waterfall over the windgate again.

Regards Elmer" Kilowatts" Williams

ibenick
09-30-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm not usually one for resurrecting 4 year old threads but this is bad ass. Wish there was more.

jhillock
10-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks for resurrecting. Great thread!

ststephen
10-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Yes, thanks for pulling that out. Wow, what a great read!

Jaxx
10-01-2010, 12:01 PM
That is awesome. Thanks for bringing it back.

Don
10-05-2010, 06:30 AM
What a cool thread. Wish there was more...

accadacca
10-13-2010, 04:31 PM