PDA

View Full Version : Leap of Faith

Iceaxe
04-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Here are a couple of interesting pictures of a little "Leap of Faith".

The first picture is of the Emperor jumping over the top of what looks like a very small crack in the earth's crust. Note the arm's flapping for maximum elevation gain :haha:

The second picture is standing at the bottom of the very small crack and looking up. While the leap is short the 150' depth provides the ultimate pucker factor.

Do not try this at home, these are trained professionals. :roflol:

rock_ski_cowboy
04-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah! :2thumbs: I love "slot jumping". 150 feet? :ahhh:

Here's a few pictures of jumping a shallow slot above middle Neon. Its not 150 feet, but 20 feet above a rocky-bottomed pothole 6 miles from the car definitely requires a leap of something :cripple:

rock_ski_cowboy
04-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Can't forget the original and most famous "slot jump" ever...
Anyone have a picture from the bottom looking up?

Iceaxe
04-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Swasey's Leap from the bottom.

Iceaxe
04-24-2006, 12:30 PM
The original Heaps route might be the ultimate "slot leap". The original route went up the left side (LDC) and jumped the slot to get on what is now the standard route. Don't ask me why the original Heaps route include the slot leap with 450' of air underneath, but it did.

:popcorn:

rockgremlin
04-24-2006, 01:32 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm.......Swazey's Leap........ :slobber:

It's been a while since I did the lower Black Box. I need to get back there!!

BTW, how wide is that gap that Mr. Jones is airborne over?

Iceaxe
04-24-2006, 01:40 PM
BTW, how wide is that gap that Mr. Jones is airborne over?

About 4' plus or minus.....

For some reason it looks much wider when you know how deep it is :haha:

The bad part is the take-off sucks and would be easy to screw up. We actually jump the slot at the wrong place and my 20' navigational error cost us an extra hour.

The correct place to jump is actually a little wider, but the take-off is better and the landing is 3' lower if you "Jump to the Island".

:popcorn:

Scott Card
04-24-2006, 03:11 PM
You people are just nutz. 4 feet seems like the Olympic long jump when there is 150 feet of air below. Give me a Depends and a rope and I may, I say may, just consider it.

Iceaxe
04-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Give me a Depends and a rope and I may, I say may, just consider it.

Yup, If you tie the rope around your neck before your jump there is no need to worry about hitting the canyon bottom. :roflol:

Scott Card
04-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Yup, If you tie the rope around your neck before your jump there is no need to worry about hitting the canyon bottom. :roflol:

If that was lawyer joke, I resemble.... wait, I resent that statement. :fakelaugh:

Ryebrye
04-24-2006, 10:49 PM
That pansy little jump in Behunin canyon that you have to make if you don't go down the watercourse is my achilles heel... I guess it's because it is sooo easy to downclimb and upclimb it that I can't convince my brain to jump it... but I get picked on by my group every time we do that canyon...

Of course, if I were somewhere that there is no other option but to jump... I can jump pretty darn far...

Just that one pansy jump gets me every time...

(The worst thing is, I brough my girlfriend [now my wife] through Behunin and she jumped it with no hesitation... and then watched me stand there for 10 minutes before downclimbing and upclimbing it...)