PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Newbie

stjunkie
04-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Been lurking on the site for a couple weeks and thought I'd sign up. Although I live in SoCal, Utah is one of my favorite places to mountainbike. Over the last ten years I've taken a bunch of road trips there (here?). Usually we go to St. George/Hurricane because it's the closest place for some real slickrock. Did a weekend trip there last week and had a blast. I got some info on the Guacamole trail from this site. Always fun to ride new dirt (rock). You guys have a good site here and I hope I can add to it once and awhile.

accadacca
04-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the group stjunkie. :2thumbs:

St. George is a great area for riding. What trails did you ride last week?

stjunkie
04-23-2006, 12:37 PM
We did a short ride near Vegas on Friday. On Sat we rode the north side of Little Creek. It had rained the night before so we were keeping away from the soft sections. On the way back to town we decided to do an out and back on JEM. On Sunday we rode Guacamole for the first time. Here's a link on our local club site of the trip report:http://www.ermtb.com/index.php?name=MDForum&file=viewtopic&t=307

rockgremlin
04-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the site. You're in good company. Derstuka lives in So. Cal (San Diego?), and he makes the roadie up to St. George to mtn. bike too.

Sombeech
04-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the site, man. We heard that weekend was pretty crappy weather in St George. We'll all have to meet up there this year.

derstuka
04-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Welcome man. Where you at in SoCal? As Rock mentioned, I am in San Diego. Funny, I was in St George/Hurricane last weekend with a buddy, same as you. We cut it short and went to Vegas after it was still raining Saturday morning. See my trail report(s) in the mtn biking section.

live2ride
04-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Welcome man, you guys from So Cal seem pretty cool, glad to have you.

Sombeech
04-23-2006, 08:41 PM
You guys have a good site here and I hope I can add to it once and awhile.

We're glad to have out-of-state trip reports as well. Derstuka here has posted a few trails from SoCal. In the mtn biking section, you may have seen the trail report index up top. We'd love to add any trails to it.

Just have decent directions, details, and most of all take lots of pictures! We love em here.

stjunkie
04-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. derstuka: I did see your trip report and thought it was funny that you went to Hurricane and then Vegas and we did the opposite. On Sat we started riding after the rain but it looked like it would hit us all morning. I live near Torrance which is just south of Lost Angeles. Little by little I'm checking out all of the trip reports and will add some also along the way. I read the thread about the Moab trip and funny thing is a buddy and I are planning a two week trip there towards the end of May. I'll write something up there to fill you in on the details. Thanks again guys for the welcome. If anyone here ever needs a tourguide for some LA mountainbiking just let me know. We actually do have mountains here and I've got an extra bike too.

derstuka
04-25-2006, 06:06 AM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. derstuka: I did see your trip report and thought it was funny that you went to Hurricane and then Vegas and we did the opposite. On Sat we started riding after the rain but it looked like it would hit us all morning. I live near Torrance which is just south of Lost Angeles. Little by little I'm checking out all of the trip reports and will add some also along the way. I read the thread about the Moab trip and funny thing is a buddy and I are planning a two week trip there towards the end of May. I'll write something up there to fill you in on the details. Thanks again guys for the welcome. If anyone here ever needs a tourguide for some LA mountainbiking just let me know. We actually do have mountains here and I've got an extra bike too.

I might have to take you up on the offer to ride LA trails sometime. I wanted to try SART (Santa Ana River Trail) sometime. If you have not checked them out yet, San Diego County has some nice rides. I could show you around them as well. You ever done San Juan Trail in OC? One of my favorite rides.

stjunkie
04-25-2006, 01:47 PM
SART is probably my favorite trail within 100 miles. I know of some off the map stuff also which is the best section there.. I have done San Juan many times and is always a good ride. A long time ago I rode Rose Cyn in San Diego but that is about it. I've always wanted to do Noble cyn so maybe we can trade off guide services. Noble is a long way to go for a one day trip so I was thinking of camping.

derstuka
04-25-2006, 03:31 PM
SART is probably my favorite trail within 100 miles. I know of some off the map stuff also which is the best section there.. I have done San Juan many times and is always a good ride. A long time ago I rode Rose Cyn in San Diego but that is about it. I've always wanted to do Noble cyn so maybe we can trade off guide services. Noble is a long way to go for a one day trip so I was thinking of camping.

Rose Canyon is "right" next to my place. The trail sucks pretty much. Good if nothing else is available. I call it poison oakville. Plus, don't leave your tailgate down (or back in) if you park there, trust me!

It would probably take you about 2 hours (on a good day) to get to the Pine Valley trailhead for Noble. It is an even better ride (I think) when you ride it the way that I wrote it up in my trail report. Hell, it is about 1.5 hours for us to get all situated at the San Juan Trailhead from San Diego. If you did camp, you could hit Lake Morena as well. It has some nice downhill as well. Fun trail.