PDA

View Full Version : Uutah Moab trip

derstuka
04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Ok, just for kicks, who would be up for a Uutah Moab trip sometime? Who know when that means, maybe a month, or maybe 4 months away.

cachehiker
04-21-2006, 03:43 PM
first weekend in may?

a poseur friend and i were debating this agenda a few weeks ago:

leave home
camp: Trail Canyon
hike: Trail Canyon
hotel: Central Moab
bike: Top of The World
hotel: Central Moab
hike: Hidden Valley
bike: Hidden Canyon
camp: Goblin Valley
bike: The Swell
return home

unfortunately, he doesn't actually ride. he just stands next to his bike, talks trash, and tries his best to look good doing it. :nod:

derstuka
04-21-2006, 06:25 PM
first weekend in may?

a poseur friend and i were debating this agenda a few weeks ago:

unfortunately, he doesn't actually ride. he just stands next to his bike, talks trash, and tries his best to look good doing it. :nod:

HEY...I am a poseur...I just usually hang out in the parking lot and polish my bike up, telling everybody how good I am...can I come???

You two are pretty gung-ho. I am too lazy, I would probably just get one hotel for the whole time. Since I am so feminine, I need a shower after each ride. Do the campsites that you camp at have showers?

mtnbiker62
04-21-2006, 08:36 PM
...but the first weekend in May isn't possible for me. If it ends up being some other weekend, I'm all for it!

live2ride
04-21-2006, 09:35 PM
i will stay in hotels, no doubt, I have a free hotel and I can hook us up. I will go anytime and I will go when ever. Hotel for free. I am drinking right now and am a little confused. I will go whenever and will get us a few rooms free in Moab. Archway inn is the free hotel I can get. Tell me when and I will arrange it. I am not the camper type.

Sombeech
04-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Archway inn is the free hotel I can get.

That's a pretty nice place. I've stayed there 3 times. Man, we should really get this thing going. How's June? May "may" be a little early for me.

derstuka
04-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Archway Inn huh? I thought that I stayed there but I actually stayed at the Adventure Inn across from Poison Spider Bikes.

I am down for a trip soon, as long as it doesn't fall on a test day for me. Only thing is, a June trip would mean a really early rise because of the heat. I would still be down, but getting up early to beat the heat would be a necessity to me, otherwise, we will shrivel and die. :naughty:

accadacca
04-22-2006, 08:23 AM
:popcorn:

derstuka
04-22-2006, 04:57 PM
:popcorn:

Think you can get a permission slip signed for this Acca?

live2ride
04-22-2006, 08:35 PM
I am down for a Moab trip soon. One week that I wouldn't be available is the week of May 17th. Considering that there isn't a huge function in Moab, the hotel should be good to go. The heat would be crazy in June, but hey I am down for some night rides.

eddy1911
04-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Just out of curiousity, how do you guys plan on affording the cost of gas to drive down there? Gas will easily be over $3 a gallon probably within the next month. Thats a real bummer because it makes me and my wife really have to think twice before planning a road trip for mtn bike rides. What are your thoughts?

Eddy

derstuka
04-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Just out of curiousity, how do you guys plan on affording the cost of gas to drive down there? Gas will easily be over $3 a gallon probably within the next month. Thats a real bummer because it makes me and my wife really have to think twice before planning a road trip for mtn bike rides. What are your thoughts?

Eddy

DAMMIT, did you have to remind me of these crazy gas prices?? I am hearing rumors of $4 dollars a gallon in the summer. YIKES!

derstuka
04-22-2006, 11:02 PM
I am down for a Moab trip soon. One week that I wouldn't be available is the week of May 17th. Considering that there isn't a huge function in Moab, the hotel should be good to go. The heat would be crazy in June, but hey I am down for some night rides.

Can you do early rides? I mean, the temp is cool, and the trails are barren. That's what I did when I was there, and the whole week was 100+ in May.

accadacca
04-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Think you can get a permission slip signed for this Acca?
Oh yeah. :nod:
I will be in Vegas on business May 12-13. Everything else is looking open at the moment May and June. We should get a date on the Calendar. :popcorn:

live2ride
04-23-2006, 12:43 PM

Eddy

That is why I have a job that pays for all of my gas!!!

Sombeech
04-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Are we talkin' just a weekend thing, like Friday thru Sunday?

If so, that will probably be easy for everyone, even if we only meet up for Saturday and go riding, and save the other two days for travel.

derstuka
04-23-2006, 06:29 PM

If so, that will probably be easy for everyone, even if we only meet up for Saturday and go riding, and save the other two days for travel.

Personally, since I have to travel so far, I would be taking Friday and Monday off as well (or Thursday and Friday off). And, to further justify the journey, I would probably try and fit in 2 rides each day, probably Saturday, and Sunday. One of my buddy's is expressing interest, so that would be a good thing as far as splitting the travel costs.

Can you roost yourself out of bed for an early ride, or do you need your beauty sleep? :haha:

live2ride
04-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Early rides are great and that is when it will be cool enough to go.

accadacca
04-23-2006, 07:49 PM
I am easy.... :popcorn: Just ask my wife.... :naughty: :lol8:

derstuka
04-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Early rides are great and that is when it will be cool enough to go.

Not to mention uncrowded. For two morning rides I did not see anybody during my rides. For some crazy reason, all of those shuttle buses were taking off at like 9 to 11am to shuttle people to the trail head. It was already like 98 degrees by 11am. I just could not understand it.

Check out Amassa Back parking lot at 6:30am. I don't even know where the people from that truck were at.

live2ride
04-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Amasa back kicks ass at night, it was one of the funnest trails to ride during the night.

Sombeech
04-23-2006, 08:43 PM
That's a great shot, man. one for the image bar!

derstuka
04-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Amasa back kicks ass at night, it was one of the funnest trails to ride during the night.

Never rode it during the night. Only at 6:30am, but it had a "nice" cool breeze and was so desolate that it was quite a ride. I loved that ride.

cachehiker
04-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Didn't expect to be away from the net for the entire weekend but my parents were in town Sunday. Ended up at an estate auction with a GF all day Saturday too. Bought yet another bike, a barely used Specialized Crossroads for just $35. I was dumbfounded when nobody else was willing to bid on it. Does anybody out there need a cheap commuter?

Since I am so feminine, I need a shower after each ride. Do the campsites that you camp at have showers?

What a pantywaist. Unless one pays for a spot in Goblin Valley, neither of the sites I proposed even has water. Two large jugs is enough to last a few people for a couple of nights and you only need one gallon heated on an old fashioned Coleman 424 to take a bath.

how do you guys plan on affording the cost of gas to drive down there?

My little 4 hamster Toyota pickup makes it on just 10 gallons. Of course I can barely climb half of the hills over Soldiers Summit in 4th gear. The aerodynamics go to pot above 55 and the engine timing joins in at around 70 so it takes me almost 6 hours.

Living an extra 100 miles away means I usually need a 4 plus day weekend to justify the trip. Leave Thursday around lunchtime and return Monday evening. Ride or hike or whatever all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Camping in Goblin Valley, Kane Creek, Trail Canyon, Sand Flats, or elsewhere is cool when the other half won't arrive until the next day. Good for the soul and much cheaper than a hotel room to yourself.

Seriously, I'm dying to get the h*ll out of town. The dating scene, tacoed Ksyriums on the ULCER ride, a cracked radius, losing toenails to frostbite, a separated shoulder, and ten days of colds/allergies/asthma early this month have all been killing me! I have got to work out some frustrations before I start kicking little puppies and stomping cute kittens! :frustrated:

My committed weekends are May 13-14th (club ride leader), June 24-25th (MS150 captain), and July 21-24th (Lava Hot Springs loaded touring). I'll use a sizeable chunk of vacation time for backpacking in the Tetons if nothing happens between now and the end of July. Beyond that, my summer is still open.

REDFOX
04-24-2006, 02:31 PM
I just came back from Moab. I rode Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It was plenty warm for me. I prefer riding Moab from October through March. Hiking may be a better option this late in the year.

live2ride
04-24-2006, 02:49 PM
I just came back from Moab. I rode Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It was plenty warm for me. I prefer riding Moab from October through March. Hiking may be a better option this late in the year.

I guess we will count you out for this one. :nono:

Sombeech
04-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I just came back from Moab. I rode Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It was plenty warm for me.

Bastard! Get any pictures? What trails did you ride?

stjunkie
04-25-2006, 12:56 AM
I buddy and I are panning a two week trip through Utah and and maybe Colorado. Our main destination being Moab. This will be his first time so we'll probably hit the popular routes. Thinking of riding Red Canyon on the way there. Right now the plan is for the last two weeks in May. I was hoping on going this month but my buddy wanted some time to get into riding shape. Sounds like the temps will be pretty high so morning and late afternoon rides will be the norm. Hopefully we'll be there when some of you guys are in town and we can hook up with a group ride. I've heard of some XC type stuff in the mountains around Moab that may be cooler. Anybody have info on the trails/conditions there?

derstuka
04-25-2006, 06:02 AM
I buddy and I are panning a two week trip through Utah and and maybe Colorado. Our main destination being Moab. This will be his first time so we'll probably hit the popular routes. Thinking of riding Red Canyon on the way there. Right now the plan is for the last two weeks in May. I was hoping on going this month but my buddy wanted some time to get into riding shape. Sounds like the temps will be pretty high so morning and late afternoon rides will be the norm. Hopefully we'll be there when some of you guys are in town and we can hook up with a group ride. I've heard of some XC type stuff in the mountains around Moab that may be cooler. Anybody have info on the trails/conditions there?

I have only done Slickrock, Amassa Back, and Sovereign Trail (loved them all), but I have heard that there is some XC riding around La Salle Mtn and such. Not sure if the snow will be melted away enough for you to ride it by then though.

Make sure to check out Arches National Park (for hiking, no off-road biking allowed). That place is pretty cool. Canyonlands is cool as well. Arches is only like 1 mile from Moab, very close. You have to pass by it coming in from the freeway.

derstuka
04-25-2006, 08:12 AM
What a pantywaist.

Hey, who told you that I wear panties??? That was supposed to be a secret! Ya can't trust anybody these days! :haha:

Btw, what size is the frame on the bike you bought?

cachehiker
04-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Btw, what size is the frame on the bike you bought?

It's a hybrid frame with a 16.5 inch c-t seat tube, an effective top tube of about 21.5 inches, and a pretty relaxed geometry. Someone had taken an ancient steel seatpost and reversed the clamp to allow someone the size of a 12 year old to ride it. I just ordered a decent $14 Kalloy to replace it. Once I get it into rideable condition, I just might decide to keep it. It's been a long time since I've had a bike that I can lock up practically anywhere without worrying about someone swiping my front wheel, seatpost, saddle, pump, etc.

greyhair biker
04-27-2006, 10:35 AM
YES! I am SO there! I don't care about the heat so I'll go anytime ...as least I'm smart enough not to ride from noon to 5 down there. I am on a road trip the end of May/ first week in June to Carlsbad NM but I am up for any other time, just don't plan it around me 'cause with my schedule I have to plan around everyone elses...no big deal. I am sure Fourtycal will go too, although he's down there all the time anyway. If he doesn't see this I'll let him know - :ride:

Sombeech
04-27-2006, 11:47 AM
YES! I am SO there! I don't care about the heat so I'll go anytime ...as least I'm smart enough not to ride from noon to 5 down there.

I don't care about the temp either. Moab riding at 100 degrees is more fun than Ogden riding at 90 degrees.

greyhair biker
04-27-2006, 11:59 AM
RIGHT ON - someone who thinks like me! I LIVE for the heat...people think I'm crazy but hey, I work in 80 to 100 degree & 80 to 100 percent humidity every day - fully clothed, steeltoes, hardhat & 40# utility belt on in it but I digress...me likeum hot bike ridin'
.......oh yes...I ALMOST forgot, the heat brings out the 'scenery' :naughty:
Forutycal & I have made it sort of a habit to either or both hit Jeep Safari and Memorial Day week but this year I lost on both so I'll fit in the time if I can. Maybe I'll bore you all with my work schedule for that time frame :sleeping:

greyhair biker
04-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Ok, I couldn't resist...here's my schedule:
May 6,7,8,9,10 - off
May 11,12,13,14,15 - dayshift 6am to 6 pm
May 16,17,18,19 - off
May 20,21,22,23,24 - graves 6pm to 6am
May 25,26,27,28 - off
May 29,30,31 vac - NewMex
June 1,2 vac - NM
June 3,4,5,6,7 - off (I know, sucks to be me)
June 8,9,10,11,12 -graves
June 13,14,15,16 -off
June 17,18,19,20,21 - dayshift
June 22,23,24,25,26 - off
June 27,28,29,30 - graves
I can fit in a few more weeks of vacation that I HAVE to take so like I said, I can shuffle a few things.
.....anyone want to trade schedules? :kicknuts:

fourtycal
04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm down :thumb: , I was there on Easter, back down this coming weekend(rodbenders car show) and back down on may 12th(classic bronco safari) and anytime else I can. Memorial is on the Blue mountains(70 miles south of moab) this year.

Greyhair's schedule, 5 on 4 off :ne_nau: not so bad, I'm M-F and live for weekends! :lol:

greyhair biker
04-27-2006, 02:15 PM
:hail2thechief: You Dog! Have fun down there & say hi to the family.
I was checking out paintball equipment just the other day - thinking about the army down there. :rifle: Anyway, I gotta head for SLC tomorrow for a few days & my back hasn't healed up quite yet for hardcore biking so I guess I'll catch up with ya :defend:

LJ
04-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey Guys -

Can a girl with a 15 year old Specialized come? It's not pretty anymore but it gets me there!

Lynn

TreeHugger
04-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey Lynn,

If you go, you might consider renting a bike. I'm assuming, for one thing, if your bike is 15 years old, it's probably rigid, or least ways a hardtail - you will be very uncomfortable riding Moab with that (have you been there before?) A lot of the terrain is very rocky, droppy, bumpy, etc. You'll have much more fun on a more Moab-friendly bike.

Karen

LJ
04-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey Karen -

I actually bought the bike for a trip to Moab and it's been there close to 20 times over the years but yes it is quite the teeth chatterer even with a few improvements. It's just a matter of being cheap, attached to the thing and being old school. I remember each and every table I had to beg/lie/cheat for tips to buy the thing.

You are right though - rent a bike or suck it up and retire the old thing and get a new one!

Lynn

Sombeech
04-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Hey Guys -

Can a girl with a 15 year old Specialized come? It's not pretty anymore but it gets me there!

Lynn

You bet! No matter how nice my bike is, you're probably still a better rider than me. :nod:

You just can't make fun of an older bike when it's passing you on the trail.

greyhair biker
04-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Right On! Ability is 90 percent of the ride. I used to ride a hardtail down there simply because it could climb like a goat. Take what you're comfortable with and show everyone who's boss is what I like to say. Go down State St. in Sandy & hit some pawn shops - bikes everywhere! Then what are you really out of. I take several bikes with me everywhere I ride now simply because depending on how I feel when I get there. The important thing is to go and RIDE!!

cachehiker
05-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Can a girl with a 15 year old Specialized come?

If you happen to be 5'7" or a little shorter, I have decent LX hardtail with a Duke fork to lend. I own three mountain bikes and I'm not talented enough to ride more than one at a time.

I'm seriously looking at the first weekend in June. Do you think a hotel will be hard to find?

LJ
05-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Can a girl with a 15 year old Specialized come?

If you happen to be 5'7" or a little shorter, I have decent LX hardtail with a Duke fork to lend. I own three mountain bikes and I'm not talented enough to ride more than one at a time.

I'm seriously looking at the first weekend in June. Do you think a hotel will be hard to find?

I really wish I was 5'7" or a little shorter but I have a few inches on that. Thanks a bunch for the offer though - I'm thinkin' I need to start watching for a decent used bike but then I've been branching out in outdoors interests (bought a horse and have started hiking with ropes) and not getting out on the trails as much so I might just suck it up with the old bike for now. Ah the age old problem - too much needed gear not enough $. Which means I probably will need to rent a bike on the Moab trip so I can have a chance of keeping up with you guys!

Lynn

accadacca
05-01-2006, 12:28 PM
That's my trouble. Too many hobbies, too much gear, too much sweet talkin' to get it. :naughty:

greyhair biker
05-01-2006, 07:38 PM
I turned my hobby into a business so I can get most 'upgrades' but I still have to sweet talk to get it :haha: