PDA

View Full Version : custom topo source

Dean Myerson
04-18-2006, 06:06 AM
I found this new source for custom topos that I wanted to pass on. It's at adventurestation.com.

You can choose the area you want, the quad resolution (i.e. 7.5 or 15 minutes), the map size (18 x 24, 26 x 36, etc), paper or water proof, etc. The web interface is very user friendly for refining what area to include or going back to change a decision. And the prices are reasonable. I designed my own hi-res map of Buckskin Gulch for $9.95, and a lower-res but larger map of a part of the Staircase for $18.95, as well as a hi-res map to cover a week-long trip in the FC RONR wilderness in Idaho (Indian Creek/Baldy Ridge loop). That last map includes portions of 4 quads. And they don't ream you for shipping either. It's like being able to tell Trails Illustrated what maps to make. I received my maps 3 days after I ordered them. The waterproof teslin is heavier than what TI uses, but it can't add up to more than a few ounces.

And no, I don't work for them. :nono:

Dean

mroy
05-16-2006, 02:04 PM
I just tried them out, for a Paria trip I have coming up. They've got a pretty cool utility for making them. You can overlay the topos with your own GPS waypoints & routes, which was cool. You need a code to get in if you go straight to adventurestation.com I googled & found this one: 4bp0113 I'm guessing they'd rather partner with businesses to get more exposure and sell their product rather than going on their own, which isn't a bad idea.

FlyfishermanMike
05-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Sounds cool but I can do it for free. Go to NASA's site and find their WorldWind program. It taps into a bunch of different sat photos including topos. It's great and free.

^^ike

moabfool
06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
You can print custom, waterproof topos right in the SLC REI store (3300 South). Don't know the cost, but there's no waiting for them in the mail.

mroy
06-14-2006, 11:24 AM
After getting them, well, they're just okay. The map was pixelated and the contrast of the print was hazy. It did the job, but it wasn't easy on the eyes.

moabfool
06-14-2006, 12:34 PM
After getting them, well, they're just okay. The map was pixelated and the contrast of the print was hazy. It did the job, but it wasn't easy on the eyes.

I just download the USGS toppo and print it at work (shhh). Part of it goes on 11x17 or the whole thing on 24x36. I print them on the back of people's screw-ups.

http://nrwrt1.nr.state.ut.us/cgi-bin/quadview.exe?Startup

mroy
06-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Have you seen the topo pdf's where the topo lines are vector so they're infinitely scalable?

Here's an ex: http://superstition-sar.org/downloads/weavers_needle.pdf

I like them for the quality, but adobe really needs to work it out so that it doesn't redraw everything whenever you scroll around cause it's a slow process with that much data.

I've been looking for a source for these.

And as for you having large format printers at work: lucky.