PDA

View Full Version : Product Review Freeze dried meals

Mtnman1830
04-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Just so I didn't get in up in them hills and get stuck with a meal that tases like, well you know what, I bought some Mountain House dinners to try out.

The only one I have tried is the Teriyaki Chicken, and it wasn't too bad (had a taste like a tv dinner) I will include it in my 'menu'

The pic is kinda bad, but oh well.

live2ride
04-17-2006, 07:59 PM
great post, I was just getting ready to try some, what are some other flavors that I should try? Are any brands better tasting than the others? Thanks

Mtnman1830
04-17-2006, 09:00 PM
live2ride Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:59 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

great post, I was just getting ready to try some, what are some other flavors that I should try? Are any brands better tasting than the others? Thanks

That's what I am finding out.

Let me know if you try any so I am not the only guniea pig.

crazy horse
04-18-2006, 05:04 PM
My personal favorites are the mountain house lasagna and cheesy mashed potatoes. Both are pretty delicious, especially after a long day on the trail.

Mtnman1830
04-20-2006, 05:52 AM
Just sampled the Pasta Primavera I liked it better than the Teryaki Chicken...

live2ride
04-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Tonight I am going to try a flavor? haven't decied what, but I will post a taste test on it once I have eaten it!

Mtnman1830
04-23-2006, 07:19 PM
two thumbs up for the raspberry crumble...

:2thumbs:

accadacca
04-23-2006, 07:55 PM
This is a great topic....but you poor guinea pigs taking one for the team. :lol8:

Thanks.....REALLY!!! :2thumbs:

Sombeech
04-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I agree, great topic mtnman!

I tried some stuff, I think it's Bear River? :ne_nau: The problem was, it served 8! I didn't try the stuff out before I went. I just went to Sportsman's and threw it in the cart.

It tasted like crap.

Anyways, I really try to look for the foods that I won't have to break out the mess kit for. I hate cleaning. I'll let the campfire do that for me.

Do any of these products let you eat right out of the bag? You know, "just add water", but you won't have to poor it in your bowl for later cleaning?

live2ride
04-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Tried the Mtn House Mac and cheese, it passes and is pretty tasty. :2thumbs:

Mtnman1830
04-25-2006, 05:50 AM
had the Lasanga (sic) with meat sauce, and it reminded me of baby food. I wasn't too impressed with the taste or the texture, but I would make a good filler.

One thing I have noticed is these are two serving meals. After a day on the trail, I would suggest a meal and a side of something else. There is a quite a bit of food in the bags, but I could eat more,.

Yes, you just dump your hot water into the pouches and zip them shut. The bag gets a little hot, but not much... then in about five minutes you have a hot meal. You will probably need to trim the top of the bag as you eat to make it easier. (I have been dumping it on a plate) So when you are up in the hills, the only dirty items you'll have is a spork.
[/quote]

Mtnman1830
04-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Don't even bother with the Potatoes & Beef with Onions. I couldn't even finish it.

Mtnman1830
05-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Chicken al a King with noodles will be a must have on any trip I take :2thumbs:

goofball
05-01-2006, 09:11 PM
i was always a ramen guy on the trail. and granola bars. that stuff is so light it's like carrying air. makes 2 weeks worth of meals easy to manage weight wise. mass is another matter... all of the mt. house and backpackers pantry i have tried have been decent. after 6-12 miles of exertion, even an mre would taste good. maybe...

live2ride
05-17-2006, 07:22 PM
The other day for lunch I fired up the new Jet Boil heated my water and had a lunch of Mtn Hous Chili with mac and beef. All it needed was a little salt. This is a must take for me it was very tasty and filling.