PDA

View Full Version : Newby here and I'm in Iraq

Don
04-15-2006, 05:38 AM
I

rockgremlin
04-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Well, even though it does suck, at least you're not having to duck bullets.

:doorpeak: :rifle:

Glad to have you on board. We'll do our best to keep your daydreams vivid. :haha:

RugerShooter
04-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for serving our country and God Bless You
:hail2thechief:

stefan
04-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Welcome. The internet can be a great thing, in ways that most of us don't realize .

I have to ask, knowing that you're relatively safe. Do you ever get the chance to get out and see the areas surrounding the base? Or are you essentially confined always? It's nice that you have some areas to bike in and get your energy out.

Hope you make it home asap. :thumb:

DaveOU812
04-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Hey, I feel ya brother. I just got back a couple of days ago. Just keep busy. Ride the bike and time will go by.

Don
10-15-2006, 03:25 PM
6 months since I first posted this! I've been lurking but not posting due to still being stuck in Iraq and not having much to say about Utah outdoor topics. I hope to have more to post soon as we are very near the end of our Iraq tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I'm sure someone out there hates excessive use of punctuation, but if you were in Iraq for a year and soon would leave you might over exclaim as well.
Things have gone well for us; well and safe (knock on wood as we still have a couple weeks here). I have not enjoyed my time here but I have had some fun times (note that I said fun times and not fun days as the fun never lasted a whole day: haha: )
Our satellite internet will be turned off soon so I may not have the chance to reply quickly.
Anyway, it's late here and I have an early morning. Thanks for reading.
Don

accadacca
10-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks for your service Don. Wishing you a safe trip back to Utah and the great outdoors. :flag:

tanya
10-15-2006, 05:46 PM
[quote=Don]I

Don
10-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Have you done a lot of hiking and canyoneering in Utah before or is this just something you want to do?
Plenty of Utah hiking; I grew up on the Wasatch front (also lived in Price for awhile and before that, while still quite young, in Colorado) so with the scouts and 4 brothers there was plenty of hiking to do.
I have done some (non-technical) canyon hiking, I have the Kelsey Non-technical Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau and the Steve Allen Canyoneering Guide books with me and loads of time to read, re-read, add notes and highlight parts. I have also had access to the internet and I doubt I have to tell you how much time you could kill just surfing through trail guides and trip reports and forums and pictures and gear swap boards and gear retailers and on and on.
I also read Desert Solitaire by Edward Abby again while out here. I thought I was pretty funny reading that in the middle of this ugly place.
So I think I'll take the ACA Technical Canyoneering course next spring as I lack the technical skills and then I'll try to tag along with some experienced canyoneers through this site or Toms Canyon Fests or whatever. The end goal being to forget I was ever in Iraq. :haha:

tanya
10-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Have you done a lot of hiking and canyoneering in Utah before or is this just something you want to do?
Plenty of Utah hiking; I grew up on the Wasatch front (also lived in Price for awhile and before that, while still quite young, in Colorado) so with the scouts and 4 brothers there was plenty of hiking to do.
I have done some (non-technical) canyon hiking, I have the Kelsey Non-technical Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau and the Steve Allen Canyoneering Guide books with me and loads of time to read, re-read, add notes and highlight parts. I have also had access to the internet and I doubt I have to tell you how much time you could kill just surfing through trail guides and trip reports and forums and pictures and gear swap boards and gear retailers and on and on.
I also read Desert Solitaire by Edward Abby again while out here. I thought I was pretty funny reading that in the middle of this ugly place.
So I think I'll take the ACA Technical Canyoneering course next spring as I lack the technical skills and then I'll try to tag along with some experienced canyoneers through this site or Toms Canyon Fests or whatever. The end goal being to forget I was ever in Iraq. :haha:

I met Kelsey a couple of weeks ago. He was kind, humble and sweet. Nothing like I thought he would be. I really like him!

There must be some sports than can be done in the sandy desert of Iraq? What do people do there for recreation? I know life is hard there, but they still must do something? What are some of the best canyons/hikes you have done in Utah?

Scott P
10-19-2006, 09:02 AM
There must be some sports than can be done in the sandy desert of Iraq?

Iraq and more so Iran, have mountains and an active mountaineering community. I haven't been to those two countries, but have met several people from them on other mountains and ranges.

stefan
10-29-2006, 11:14 AM
and, speaking of mike kelsey, he's spent some time hiking in iran and has written up some of his stuff. recently (few years back) he tried to get a visa to go to iran, but they denied him.

nefarious
02-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Thank you for your service, Don. :2thumbs: