PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Ideas

crazy horse
04-13-2006, 07:16 PM
My brother and I are planning a short overnight or two night backpacking trip for this weekend, and we're still trying to decide on a final destination. We're looking for something preferably not more than 2 to 3 hours drive from Salt Lake, and I'd like something with reliable water sources and temperatures that aren't too extreme, so probably something down south. Any suggestions?

live2ride
04-13-2006, 08:18 PM
What about thunder canyon down south by brianhead?

shaggy125
04-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Northern San Rafael Swell is probably your best option if you want a less than 3 hour drive. Depending on how fast you drive and how far down the dirt roads you go it could take slightly more than 3. Now is a good time for water, springs should be flowing. I'd look at Steve Allen's Canyoneering 1 book, he has a lot of overnight options in the Northern Swell. You can either buy the book or check it out from the Salt Lake County libraries.

Eric.

Udink
04-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Northern San Rafael Swell
Just be warned, that place is a ZOO this weekend. I was down there yesterday, and there were camp trailers and ATVs everywhere, and it was only Wednesday. I can't imagine what it'll be like this weekend.