PDA

View Full Version : Help me find this spot!

firewater
04-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I saw a picture of this place at a art gallery and the artist played hard to get and wouldn't tell us where he took it. Does anyone recognize this place because I couldn't find it in any of my books?
http://www.fatali.com/gallery/StoneTemples/TheCrossingL.jpg
http://www.fatali.com/gallery/StoneTemples/BackofBeyondL.jpg

Thank you!
Matt

tanya
04-12-2006, 05:14 PM
That photo is hanging at the Grand Staircase-Escalante Visitor Center in Kanab. I bet you can call there and they would know. It must have been taken in the Staircase. :popcorn:

accadacca
04-12-2006, 08:18 PM
That is really cool! I would like to know as well. Welcome to the site firewater and good to hear from you tanya. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
04-12-2006, 08:39 PM
If Tanya don't know where it is you might be in trouble..... she is the photo queen of Southern Utah.

Sombeech
04-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the site firewater and good to hear from you tanya. :2thumbs:

Ditto. Welcome, and good to hear from you tanya. :nod:

Good luck finding them. Those are pretty cool shots.

goofball
04-13-2006, 06:53 PM
that reminds me of the tufa formations at mono lake. i know i have seen that image before and it is bugging hell out of me i can't place it exactly.

stefan
04-13-2006, 07:42 PM
OOOOO OOOO OOOO

I KNOW I KNOW

and guess WHAT??!

it's not southern utah.........

should i say

dare i say

dare i reveal?

stefan
04-13-2006, 07:44 PM
This is known as the teapot....

it's out in the oil fields near vernal......

the place is callled.......

:2thumbs: FANTASY CANYON :2thumbs:

But you got to promise to keep it a secret :naughty:

Iceaxe
04-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Dang..... Now I have to add anther entry in my "places to visit" journal :thumb:

Iceaxe
04-13-2006, 09:00 PM
I think I got it.

Fantasy Canyon
N 40

firewater
04-14-2006, 06:18 PM
well I will be heading there sometime soon to check it out. The notes next to these photo's list the location as Four Corners, but this place is soo cool looking I have got to get out and play around there.
Thanks for the help guys!

Iceaxe
04-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Three cheers for Stefan :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

You da man on this one.....

stefan
02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
sad news ... this feature is now lost

BLM press release (http://www.ut.blm.gov/NewsReleases/sep28c.html)

steffen synnatschke link to the aftermath

http://www.synnatschke.de/fc/teapot.html

before
http://www.synnatschke.de/fc/fc7.jpg

after
http://www.synnatschke.de/fc/teapot1.jpg

Iceaxe
02-20-2007, 11:49 AM
WOW.... :cry1:

World Renowned Fantasy Canyon Loses Beloved Formation

Vernal, Utah

americanhero
02-20-2007, 01:45 PM
sad news ... this feature is now lost

BLM press release (http://www.ut.blm.gov/NewsReleases/sep28c.html)

steffen synnatschke link to the aftermath

http://www.synnatschke.de/fc/teapot.html

Even though the fact that the teapot is lost I will visit the area next year. It is on my list for a long time and a lot of friends of mine have been there . Fantasy Canyon is a sunset location and the other features around there are also very interesting.
Steffen's site is very informative and you can get a lot of descriptions to interesting locations. On his site I discovered the wonderful pics of Little Finland(near Mesquite) and will visit it this June.

Brewhaha
02-20-2007, 03:19 PM
I visited there several years ago and it is a great place for kids. Lots of cool formations. It's kind of like looking at clouds and trying to figure out what they look like.

DiscGo
02-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Man! I feel lame. I always thought that looked cool but I thought it was just photoshopped. I didn't know it was a real place. I wish I could have seen it!

Mtnman1830
02-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Tooo bad. I go to vernal about one a year to visit family. perhaps it is still worth visiting. I never even knew about this place.

Cirrus2000
02-20-2007, 05:57 PM
I saw that in Michael Fatali's gallery in Springdale last year (they're his photos) and had to search for the location online. Pretty cool spot - it's too bad that particular formation is gone. But yes, it still looks like an amazing place to visit...

Michael Fatali is the guy who was charged with various offences related to setting a fire near Delicate Arch during a photo workshop a few years ago, and making marks on the rock around the arch. He got a couple years of probation, and was banned from Arches (and perhaps other? I don't recall.) National Park for a couple of years. Interesting controversy...

DiscGo
02-20-2007, 06:56 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if this news, brings more people to the canyon (at least locally). Makes me regret not seeing it sooner even more.

chabidiah
02-20-2007, 08:53 PM
I am going to have to hit that on the way to Steamboat. Those formations look really cool. To bad they are constantly changing.

brettyb
02-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Very interesting thread. I had never heard of Fantasy Canyon. I really hope that the formation wasn't deliberately destroyed, but there are plenty of idiots in the world, unfortunately.

Reminds me of the Goblet of Venus--try googling that.

stefan
02-22-2007, 01:49 AM
yup, this is the ugly side of human

goblet of venus
http://www.moabtimes.com/albums/album04/40_Old_Photo.jpghttp://www.lib.utah.edu/spc/photo/p52/h52n3.jpg

apparently it had previously been shot at, and this LINK (http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/utah_today/thecanyonlandsnationalparkcontroversy.html) claims that some folks tied a chain to it and toppled it with a jeep, which i read elsewhere happened during the fifties.

of course 'chip off the old block' apparently died of naturally causes in winter 75-76
http://www.moabtimes.com/albums/album04/15_Old_Photo.jpg

the prevalent vanalism to prehistoric art and ruins goes without saying.

here's another natural feature destroyed by vandals in 97 in montana http://www.blm.gov/nhp/pubs/brochures/law/eye.htm

rockgremlin
02-27-2007, 07:17 AM
OK, they are claiming that that teapot has been standing there for over 50 million years?!?!?

B - U - L - L - S - H - I - T!!!

jolly
03-03-2007, 07:53 AM
Probably the Teapot has been the most famous formation in Fantasy Canyon (and I'm glad I had the chance to see it), but nevertheless there are many more things to see, so it's definately worth visiting it, even without the teapot.

See some examples...

Eva

tanya
03-03-2007, 07:55 AM
I have to ask....

There are such magnificent places in the USA like Zion National Park and the German's flock to the Wave and other remote places like this. Why? Is it the wide open space and photo ops or what?

jolly
03-03-2007, 08:50 AM
I have to ask....

There are such magnificent places in the USA like Zion National Park and the German's flock to the Wave and other remote places like this. Why? Is it the wide open space and photo ops or what?

I'd say that's one of the reasons.
Not to forget that those hidden places aren't overcrowded and it's more adventurous.
People here read travel-reports, see photos and it becomes a must-see to go there.
Speaking for myself - I just love hiking through this beautiful landscape and take pictures, just surrounded by nature...

tanya
03-03-2007, 10:49 AM
I have to ask....

Not to forget that those hidden places aren't overcrowded and it's more adventurous.
People here read travel-reports, see photos and it becomes a must-see to go there.
Speaking for myself - I just love hiking through this beautiful landscape and take pictures, just surrounded by nature...

I have spent a lot of time at Coyote Buttes and there are so few Americans. You seem to know the area well ------ Do you know of any great spots out there I do not have on my guide yet? I would love to add more.

I have these so far

Coyote Buttes
Paria Canyon - Vermillion Cliffs
Cobra Arch
White Pocket
Steamboat Rock

North Coyote Buttes
The Wave

South Coyote Buttes
Cottonwood Teepees
Paw Hole

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm

americanhero
03-03-2007, 02:28 PM
I have to ask....

That are exactly one of the reasons why I will go to this special and remote areas. 'Cause places like Zion or Bryce for example are really overcrowd with folks, sometimes that isn't very funny. But I still enjoy places like Zion, it is one of my favorite places here in Utah.
I am also searching for the special places, the little jewels out there. And it is also the adventure of being out there in the remote areas. Something we haven't here in Germany.
You can't believe how wonderful it is just being there, surrounded by wonderful landscape and taking nothing with you, just photos and impressions. These are the things I don't wanna miss anymore.
Like Eva I love hiking and enjoy it just beeing out there in that beautiful landscape.

And now and then you see a few pics of a new spot with this unique rock formations or read a travel report about a spot. And then you can't wait until you will be there by yourself. Really crazy, I know. :razz:

tanya
03-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I have to ask....

That are exactly one of the reasons I will go to this special and remote areas. 'Cause places like Zion or Bryce for example are really overcrowd with folks, sometimes that isn't very funny. But I still enjoy places like Zion, it is one of my favorite places here in Utah.
I am also searching for the special places, the little jewels out there. And it is also the adventure of being out there in the remote areas. Something we haven't here in Germany.
You can't believe how wonderful it is just being there, surrounded by wonderful landscape and taking nothing with you, just photos and impressions. These are the things I don't wanna miss anymore.
Like Eva I love hiking and enjoy it just beeing out there in that beautiful landscape.

And now and then you see a few pics of a new spot with this unique rock formations or read a travel report about a spot. And then you can't wait until you will be there by yourself. Really crazy, I know. :razz:

Here is my favorite spot. We went in Winter and there was not another person anywhere. ---- Since you like remote places --- you will LOVE this one! I too love the remote, photogenic places. :five:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/south-canyon-grand-canyon.htm

americanhero
03-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Here is my favorite spot. We went in Winter and there was not another person anywhere. ---- Since you like remote places --- you will LOVE this one! I too love the remote, photogenic places. :five:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/south-canyon-grand-canyon.htm

Thanks Tanya!! What a great hike :2thumbs:
That`s wonderful. I never heard about it before. And my list with wonderful spots is getting longer and longer.

Last year I did the hike to Plateau Point, but the North Rim is one of the places I wanna do in my further future.

jolly
03-04-2007, 07:38 AM
I have spent a lot of time at Coyote Buttes and there are so few Americans. You seem to know the area well ------ Do you know of any great spots out there I do not have on my guide yet? I would love to add more.

I have these so far

Coyote Buttes
Paria Canyon - Vermillion Cliffs
Cobra Arch
White Pocket
Steamboat Rock

North Coyote Buttes
The Wave

South Coyote Buttes
Cottonwood Teepees
Paw Hole

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm

I wouldn't say I know the area so well!
I've been three times at the Wave and the surrounding environment including the North and South Teepees, Top Rock and Sand Cove.
I'd love to visit SCB or White Pocket and we'd have the time to do so in May, but getting there seems not to be too easy (sandy tracks out there) and we (my husband and I) don't have that much 4WD experience and wouldn't like to go out there all alone.
By the way, another very colorful area is the Yellow Rock at the Cottonwood Canyon Road.

stefan
03-04-2007, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't say I know the area so well!
I've been three times at the Wave and the surrounding environment including the North and South Teepees, Top Rock and Sand Cove.
I'd love to visit SCB or White Pocket and we'd have the time to do so in May, but getting there seems not to be too easy (sandy tracks out there) and we (my husband and I) don't have that much 4WD experience and wouldn't like to go out there all alone.
By the way, another very colorful area is the Yellow Rock at the Cottonwood Canyon Road.

okay. so you've clearly enjoyed some of the nicer open areas with fantastic features. (been to goblin valley too and gotten on top of the mesa behind, which is essentially eroding into mushrooms and goblins from all sides?)

have you spent time in the canyons (narrow and wide) which are also in the wilds and not swamped by the masses? these can be quite wonderful and fanciful too. constantly changing walls and overhangs as you hike mile after mile, desert varnish painting them all the while. some filled with ancient rock art and ruins ... or perhaps walking along the canyon rim, a wonderful space between a chasm and slickrock wonderland, adorned with magnificent views. oh and the narrow slot canyons are really quite incredible too.

that is, what other types of terrain have you gotten into. tell us some of the other places you've been and what you've enjoyed about them. i'd love to hear it.

:popcorn:

jolly
03-04-2007, 08:21 AM
[tell us some of the other places you've been and what you've enjoyed about them. i'd love to hear it.

How much time do you have? :haha:

stefan
03-04-2007, 08:32 AM
[tell us some of the other places you've been and what you've enjoyed about them. i'd love to hear it.

How much time do you have? :haha:

alot ... considering this thread is pseudoeternal :cool2:

jolly
03-04-2007, 09:23 AM
What I like about all those places?
Generally I

stefan
03-04-2007, 10:42 AM
nice, i enjoyed your descriptions. it definitely amplifies the experience, traveling such a long way.

arscenic arch, eh? couple folks around here are responsible for that being named and made better-known.
although laurent martres & steffen synnatschke both mislabel it, btw, should be arscenic
as in arsenic (as in a tributary of poison spring cyn) + scenic.
the arch is named after the slot canyon, arscenic, to which it's adjacent.

looks like you've been a lot of places! very cool. did you do leprechaun just from the bottom? or the whole way through.
it's a pretty challenging slot from the top down, but quite amazing.

thanks for sharing your impressions. how often do you make it out here?

jolly
03-04-2007, 10:58 AM
looks like you've been a lot of places! very cool. did you do leprechaun just from the bottom? or the whole way through.
it's a pretty challenging slot from the top down, but quite amazing.

thanks for sharing your impressions. how often do you make it out here?

Unfortunately I've no experience with technical canyoneering so I've done only those parts of Leprachaun that could be done by normal hiking.
We've walked through the dark tunnel, but then returned.

In two and a half years I've been four times out to the States, 5th time will be in May. I wish I could go over more often and stay longer, but you know, it's a fact of money and days off.

stefan
03-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Unfortunately I've no experience with technical canyoneering so I've done only those parts of Leprachaun that could be done by normal hiking.
We've walked through the dark tunnel, but then returned.
[quote]

perhaps something to look forward to someday.

[quote]
In two and a half years I've been four times out to the States, 5th time will be in May. I wish I could go over more often and stay longer, but you know, it's a fact of money and days off.
i hear ya. but still very impressive! looking forward to hearing about your trip in may ...

jolly
03-04-2007, 11:46 AM
[
i hear ya. but still very impressive! looking forward to hearing about your trip in may ...

Will be dominated by arches I guess.
We'll fly over to Las Vegas, visit Death Valley, Valley of Fire, Little Finland, Zion, GSENM, The Swell, Arches, Canyonlands, Alstrom Point, Yellow Rock Valley and Grand Canyon.
So, back to to where we've been before, but still visiting new places...so much to discover...

Scott P
03-04-2007, 07:04 PM

In all seriousness, it is often because they see the places in movies. Places like Monument Valley, Castle Valley, and the Wave are all very popular places for Europeans because they have been all used as scenery for some very popular movies shown in Europe. The Eurpoeans see the movies and want to go there.

jolly
03-05-2007, 04:11 AM
[quote]
In all seriousness, it is often because they see the places in movies. Places like Monument Valley, Castle Valley, and the Wave are all very popular places for Europeans because they have been all used as scenery for some very popular movies shown in Europe. The Eurpoeans see the movies and want to go there.

Hm, I don't think that movies are the reason to go and see those places.
It's more that there are some real good German homepages that tell about those places plus forums where they're discussed and that make people go there.

stefan
03-05-2007, 07:00 AM

Hm, I don't think that movies are the reason to go and see those places.
It's more that there are some real good German homepages that tell about those places plus forums where they're discussed and that make people go there.

perhaps he's suggestion that was the original motivation that lead to the home pages. one guidebook author here says that the popularity of the coyote buttes amongst germans (and other europeans) dramatically increased when it appeared in a german movie. prior to that it wasn't so popular.

europeans have been coming in hordes to the coloradon plateau for some time now. but it makes sense, now, that they are getting "off the beaten path" guided by websites.

in a sense there is something problematic about the coyote buttes being broadcast over books/internet. folks are so interested in it, that a permit system was instated in response to its increasing popularity. by focussing on sensitive areas, we can love something to death. many are frustrated with this permit system and think it unnecessary or at the very least too restrictive. also you can imagine that modified parking/bathrooms/signs and what not are slowly degrading its wild character and the notion of exploration. being elusive has its advantages. fortunately the coyote buttes are in a wilderness area.

on the other hand, knowledge of the land can lead to protection of it and the surrounding lands. plusses and minues some believe in letting the masses at some of the land, and keeping the rest under wraps. but it's becoming apparent that the internet wil quickly undermine this.

what fascinates and scares me most, is that the spread of information over the internet has just begun. what happens 50-200 years from now?

davidtas62
04-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Hi- I realise this is quite an old thread.
Yes it was in Fantasy Canyon near Vernal in Northern Utah.
In 20010 I was researching for a visit. One on my contacts mentioned to me about Michael Fatali and the incident in Arches National park. My contact also said that Mr Fatali had a wonderful image of the Teapot and that there was some speculation that his was the last photo of the teapot before it was knocked down, and that many people believed that it was Fatali that destroyed the formation so that no one else could photograph it. This is heresay of course but from the evidence that the BLM found it does suggest strongly that someone did destroy the formation and that is was not an act of nature. We will never know for sure.

akavalun
04-03-2013, 07:47 AM
I can assure you that Fatali's shot of the Teapot was not the last photo taken of it before it came down. I had seen Fatali's picture of it maybe in 2003ish. It took me a few years to find it, but eventually I did. I was shooting 35mm at the time, and I made quite a few trips to get the light just right. Once I got into large format, I wanted to go back and re-shoot it on big film. When I got there, it had already fallen. Apparently it had been reported just that week, so unfortunately I missed it by just a couple days. It truly was one of the neatest sandstone structures I've ever seen. So whether or not Fatali knocked it over, I have no clue, but he certainly had shot it years before it fell.

www.plateauvisions.com

Iceaxe
04-03-2013, 08:15 AM
That Fatali rumor has been floating around for years and has been attached to several different rock features he has photographed. One version of the rumor has him kicking over a rock feature after photographing it saying "let the bastards try and copy that photograph".

I chock it up to haters going to hate.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Scott P
04-03-2013, 08:45 AM
I chock it up to haters going to hate.

I don't know anything about the rumors of the rock formation destruction, which at best is mere speculation, but Fatali definitely does deserve at least some credit for much of the criticisms towards him. He was at least temporarily banned from at least two national parks for acts that many would consider to be vandalism. Of course once you get caught doing such acts, people will jump on the bandwagon and blame him for other acts as well, whether or not he was involved.

Most likely, he had nothing to do with the destruction of the formation in Fantasy Canyon.

Iceaxe
04-03-2013, 10:52 AM
I believe Fatali was only banned from two National Parks and it was a result of the same event as the two parks in question are managed under the same umbrella.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/892973/Lensman-banned-from-2-Utah-parks.html?pg=all

And in that event I think Fatali just used very poor judgement. Personally I enjoy the guys pics and I'll cut him a little slack until he proves himself to be a total verifiable douche.

Scott P
04-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Post edited.

I thought Joshua Tree as well, but can't find the reference.