PDA

View Full Version : Death Hollow

Iceaxe
04-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Death Hollow

OK, I've never done Death Hollow and I know a lot of folks rate this route very high..... maybe even a classic.

So.... I'm putting this route near the top of my to-do list. What I want is some feedback that will make the route most enjoyable. When would you go, how much time would you allot, where would you camp, enter, exit, variations, must see.....

In other words, I would appreciate any recommendations for getting the biggest bang for the buck out of this route.

:popcorn:

Scott P
04-06-2006, 12:02 PM
YOu mean yo are going to actually put on a backpack to get through a canyon? I thought you didn't do that. :roflol:

What I want is some feedback that will make the route most enjoyable.

Everthing is enjoyable except for teh poison ivy. I am highly allergic and got a bad case from there!

When would you go

mid June was perfect when we went. Not quite roasting hot in the upper dry section, and the water wasn't too cold.

how much time would you allot, where would you camp, enter, exit, variations, must see.....

We took 4-days and had a group of five. A smaller group might go quicker, but I would suggest at least four days. Five would allow for more side canyons.

We camped the first night in a ponderosa forest not far before the first narrows. Night two was not far past a beaver pond and where the running creek begins. I don't remember where night three was. I think not far from the river and just above where the deep pool usually is.

PS, bring some long, but light weight pants for the section along the Escalante River. Horse flies will eat bare legs alive. I wish we brought some long pants.

nat
04-06-2006, 05:36 PM
This is the first time I've posted here, so not sure how it will work. Death Hollow is incredible . I've done it 5 times, 4 times with my family, first time when the kids were 8 and 9. It is our favorite hike. We always do it in 5 days, which alows for time to explore, and just hang out by pools and waterfalls. It's only semi tech, no real raps, though worth bringing a 30 ft rope to lower packs and belay those who need it. All of the drops are about 15ft or less. Except for the first day (from Hells Backbone) it is very lush with lots of ferns, moss, water etc... I agree with Scott that June is an excelent time to do it. Warm, but usually not too hot. Due to all of the water and swims, you want warm temps. Twice, it was a bit too cold for us in mid June, once a bit warm, and twice perfect (I've always done it in June). Bring drybags of course. Also, bring a few quarts of water for the first day; there may be no water until you get to camp (there's a good spring/pothole on the left after about 7 or 8 hours). After that, plenty of water. We have never seen other hikers in this canyon above the Boulder Mail Trail. A very special place.

Nat