PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report A little bit O'Moab

Mtnbiker
04-06-2006, 11:09 AM
On a day like today we could use a few sunny pictures... :frustrated:

So I'm finally getting around to posting a few pictures from Moab a few weeks ago.

enjoy. :popcorn:

Day 1: While the wives are running the Moab half marathon, (not both my wives, hehe, his wife and my wife) my buddy and I rode up Amasa Back, and completed the loop with Jackson's trail. I've ridden Amasa before but Jackson's was new to both of us. How awesome!

I hadn't even heard of the trail till we got to the top and talked to another rider. Once you get to the top of Amasa and take in the great view, just keep heading down the jeep road (west). Maybe a mile later, just after where the iron pipe comes up from Jackson's ladder and crosses the road, a fork in the trail heads right, or northeasterly. Follow that and it turns into Jackson's trail. It is signed and everything at the top.

Up until then, the Porcupine singletrack was the most fun singletrack I've ridden in Moab, but this trail rocks too. In my opinion, at least 50% of it is harder technically than all of the Porc single. There is a lot of pretty gnarly exposure, some no-way-in-hell-is-that-ridable hike a bike, and tight and sketchy switchbacks. AND some really great views of the fins south of Moab Rim and the river far below! :2thumbs:

Jackson's trail turns Amasa into a big clockwise loop, and sort of peters out at the end into a stream. Cross the stream, and from here it's quite an adventure, but it takes you back up to Kane Creek Rd, to wherever you parked. It was very challenging, but a ton of fun too if you don't mind hiking the bike a little bit. :mrgreen:

Hiked to Corona arch later in the day and will post those as well.

Day 2: Sovereign singletrack... Again, Awesome! If you haven't ridden this singletrack, DO IT! Kind of like Gooseberry but with more singletrack and some Moab flavor.

accadacca
04-06-2006, 06:29 PM
We Salute You! :rockon:

Sombeech
04-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Very nice. Makes me want to go down there soon. Thanks man.

tatwood
04-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Great Pics.

TreeHugger
04-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Hey Ian,

Where is that Jacksons trail? I havent heard of that before - it looks great. We're gonna head down next weekend.

Karen

Ross
04-07-2006, 01:50 PM
that trail looks like a blast to ride. :mrgreen:

nice pics.

live2ride
04-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Windowlicker and I rode about the same tails you did on our last trip down south except we rode amasa back in the dark, it was well worth it!! I like sovereign singletrack but it seems that it isn't the hidden gem anyomore and gets a little to packed with people. Great pics, I am ready to go to moab on a UUTAH trip soon!! I will definently tie that Jackson trail into amasa back next time, Thanks for the info and great pics!

Mtnbiker
04-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Hey Ian,

Where is that Jacksons trail? I havent heard of that before - it looks great. We're gonna head down next weekend.

Karen

Hey K, it's actually right at the top of Amasa Back. You continue on down the jeep road, then follow the directions I posted above. It'a very challenging trail and definitely an adventure, and Fun!

When are you going down, for Easter? You do know that the Easter jeep safari is in town right? (= 4 million people in Moab)

TreeHugger
04-10-2006, 12:25 PM
WEll, we WERE gonna go down, and yes, I knew that. But, I had to schedule an injection for my neck on Thursday (that herniated disc) so we're gonna stick around home and do yard work - haha! Not much of a trade off ay?

Definately have to try that Jackson's trail - it looks pretty fun!! Thanks for the info! Hi to Tams!

greyhair biker
04-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Amasa Back is probably my favorite down there for all out bombing. Fourtycal & I rode it the last time on our downhillers...A sweet ride...It was about 5pm when we got to Jacksons' TH so we opted out but we'll hit it again next time down :2thumbs:

Spelling Nazi
04-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Windowlicker and I rode about the same tails you did on our last trip down south except we rode amasa back in the dark, it was well worth it!! I like sovereign singletrack but it seems that it isn't the hidden gem anyomore and gets a little to packed with people. Great pics, I am ready to go to moab on a UUTAH trip soon!! I will definently tie that Jackson trail into amasa back next time, Thanks for the info and great pics!

:nono: anyomore :nono:

Should be "anymore"

Sombeech
04-17-2006, 01:48 PM
:nono: anyomore :nono:

Should be "anymore"

:nono: Spelling Nazi :nono:

Should be "The Spelling Nazi".