PDA

View Full Version : Via Ferrata in Ogden's Waterfall Canyon

Sombeech
04-03-2006, 09:21 PM
In response to This Thread. (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1240)
Well, I'm guessing this is only the training wall, as it goes up maybe 30'? I ran into this on my bike ride on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. (TR Here) (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2199)

Anyways, I was riding along and had no idea it was right there. This is the most common trail I ride, and this was the first time I saw it.

In reading some other articles, I guess it's a 30 minute hike past this stuff to get to the "real" deal. Sorry, I was biking, and didn't have time for the detour. I just caught some pictures of the lower wall. Here they are.

live2ride
04-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I have ridden this trail tons of time and have never seen this, looks like I am going to have to check it out a little more?

Sombeech
04-10-2006, 03:04 PM
I have ridden this trail tons of time and have never seen this

Yeah, me too. I have no idea how long it's been there, and if I've ridden past it before.

I only noticed it because of these green bins that were at the base. It looks pretty easy to get to, as well.

DiscGo
04-05-2007, 05:36 AM
What is this rated?

Brian in SLC
04-05-2007, 08:31 AM
What is this rated?

There's a couple of different rating systems for Via Ferrata, the most common one in English by the authors of the Cicerone (sp?) guides. They use a system of numbers for technical difficulty, from 1 to 5 (1 being the easiest) and a seriousness rating from A to G (A being not at all serious).

Via Ferratas can be a simple as a cable to clip into for safety on a hiking trail, to, dead vertical and/or overhanging ladder rungs and very exposed.

We did one in the Dolomites last fall which I think was this one:

http://www.summitpost.org/route/157536/ferrata-lipella.html

So, if I had to guess at the rating of the Ogden Via Ferrata, based on the pictures, I'd probably guess its a 3A or the like.

Folks use a specially designed rig to safely protect themselves. See the petzl website for instance.

I'm not psyched on seeing Via Ferrata here in the U.S. Most climbers don't like them, as, its not really "climbing" per se. Pretty much just bolted on ladders up a cliff face. The Odgen one is on private land, however, and not much to be done about it. My fear is that there's a chance they could creep onto public land. Nelson is another one in West Virginia, close to Seneca Rocks. Another is at Torrent Falls in the Red in Kentucky.

Very popular in Europe. Leftovers from especially WWI for troop movement in steep locations. The history of these things in the Italian Dolomites especially is some wild stuff and well worth seeing. They are heavily promoted for tourism, and, as a result, are very well maintained and pretty popular. Fun for a bad weather day especially solo.

-Brian in SLC

Sombeech
04-05-2007, 08:57 AM
So, if I had to guess at the rating of the Ogden Via Ferrata, based on the pictures, I'd probably guess its a 3A or the like.

I should remind everybody that these are only pictures of the practice area. I did not make it to the actual via ferrata above this.

Scout Master
04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I do not know the Ogden area that well. What is the closest trail head to this place and how close to the trail head is it?
Thanks

Sombeech
04-06-2007, 09:25 AM
I do not know the Ogden area that well. What is the closest trail head to this place and how close to the trail head is it?
Thanks

At the top of 29th street in Ogden. You'll see the parking lot on your left. Just head up waterfall canyon, and you'll see the bridge for the Shoreline trail.

Cross that bridge, and about 30 feet later to the left of the trail. That's the practice area only though.

RugerShooter
05-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Oops looks like I broke the rules, but I have to say that sign is no longer there. These are very easy to climb I went right up them and have never done them before

Riseforms
08-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I was curious as to what those were. I've seen them up there while running. The green Weber County Sheriff Department bins were odd as well. I guess I still don't understand the purpose of this. (Also didn't see the sign there).