PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Short TR for Lava Caves (snow canyon)

Deathcricket
04-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey all, just a quick TR for the lava caves down here in St. George/Snow Canyon.

Went out to the lava caves yesterday with a couple friends from work. Had a blast! On my last trip I had only been in one and thought that might be all there were. But we met up with a park ranger in the area who pointed us to 3 more areas caves were located in, so we got a chance to explore 4 of them.

Not a lot to report though. Just a slight decline with about 3-4 rooms in each. I did however make the mistake of climbing into a couple narrow tunnels looking for more passageways. One such time I must have kicked the ceiling and caused a lava rock to fall on my left leg and scratched the crap out of it. OUCH!!!

There were a lot of bats present, but unlike last time when they would just sit in on the ceiling and stare at you, these guys would fly all over and get crazy. If I didn't know better, it almost seemed like they were flying towards us in a threatening manner. Must be this time of the year they are more active. One cave smelled soo bad from all the guano I could hardly stand it.

The highlight of the trip though is really snow canyon itself. It's easily one of the top ten most beautiful places I've been. I could just sit there all day and stare.

*edit* Can anyone tell me how pictures get arranged when you attach them? I thought it might be "last to first" but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Mtnman1830
04-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Wow. great pics. Snow Canyon is on my to-do list. Now I am even more anxious to get down there. Thanks!

Deathcricket
04-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Yer welcome Mtnman1830.

If you're into rock climbing, that seems to be one of the main attractions. It's on my list of "sports to get into", but not there yet.

One more view shot! I'm gonna bump the size up a tad. Hopefully it won't bog anyone on dialup connection.

Mtnman1830
04-02-2006, 09:07 PM
I have been rock climbing years ago, and would like to give it a go sometime, but time is the factor. I just want to get out and explore the state. There is so much so see.....

Sombeech
04-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Wow, dude, that last picture is awesome!

Can anyone tell me how pictures get arranged when you attach them? I thought it might be "last to first" but that doesn't seem to be the case.
You'll notice that as you're adding your pictures, you can see how the files line up. The first pic you upload always goes to the bottom of the list. Then every picture after that will just stack on top of it.

So, in a sense, the first picture you upload will show up at the bottom, and the last pic will be on top. I always pick out the 10 shots, then start with the last one. If your picture filesizes are larger though, you won't be able to upload that many shots in one post. That's why the 640 X 480 pictures are great, not just because they fit on the screen better, but also because of the small filesize and you can upload more of them to one post.

Here's a photo resizing tutorial here: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1718

jumar
04-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Pretty cool!