PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used one of these

live2ride
04-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Ok, so I am gearing up for some epic bike trips, ASAP and need a new light weight small stove for heating water, probably will go with the jetboil, anyway I was looking on the internet and came across the do it yourself stoves, what do you think? Has anyone made one or used one? I think I might give it a try.

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsiGstoveinstruct.shtml

I don't know if I could trust this kind of gear on a long outing? But hey you can make it yourself? Probably would be fun for the Scouts

BrokenHorn
04-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Yep, I have made one out of an 8 oz V8 can. It worked pretty good down here at 4800' but I took it up on an overnighter at 10,000'+ and it sucked.

It might work well for lower elevation but for up high I will take my canister stove from now on.

shaggy125
04-02-2006, 08:44 AM
I've used one too. It was cheap and really light, but definitely had it's downsides. It wasn't hot enough to do anything very quickly. To boil water took like 10 minutes (make sure the pot is only about a millimeter above the top of the stove) or more sometimes and if you are actually cooking something the fuel would run out before it was done. I got a system down where I started one stove, let it go for a few minutes then I would cram a second one under my pot, this would give it a little more heat. I'd let them both go until the first one ran out of fuel. From there I would pull it out, fill it with more fuel and stuff it back under the pan. This worked OK but was a pain in the butt. They would also go out with the slightest breeze, and I always had to carry at least one extra (on top of the two I already had) because they would always spring holes and leak fuel. After a few trips of being determined I could make them work I got frustrated and bought a MSR pocket rocket. I have been much less frustrated since, it boils in minutes, takes a strong breeze to put out, and isn't that much heavier. Just my experience with them.

Eric.

Mtnbiker
04-03-2006, 07:00 AM
I 2nd that notion for the MSR Pocket rocket. It is very small and very light and works great. I've taken it on many little daytrips to heat up soup for lunch and haven't been disappointed.