PDA

View Full Version : Highest Cliff in the world?

rock_ski_cowboy
03-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Out of curiosity, I've been trying to figure out what the tallest continuous vertical cliff in the world is and I can't seem to find a common consensus. Encyclopedia's list the South Face of Great Trango in Pakistan, at 1340 meters to be the tallest cliff in the world. However, "The Thumbnail" in Greenland is reported to be 1500 meters high. (this may be a recent discovery). Its widely reported that Cerro Torre in the Patagonia is 7000 feet of continuous vertical cliff, and that works out to be 2100 meters. Guiness World Records aren't much help, only listing the highest "sea cliff" as one in hawaii at 1100 meters which is not true, higher ones being in Greenland and Norway.

Is there a consensus on this?

Hmmmm.

Sombeech
03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Isn't there a common cliff that all of the extreme base jumpers go to somewhere in scandanavia? It's on that IMAX movie "adrenaline rush" playing at the planetarium. It's got a lake at the bottom. It's pretty famous for the huge face, but maybe it's just good because it has the lake at the bottom, and not that it's the tallest.

rock_ski_cowboy
03-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Isn't there a common cliff that all of the extreme base jumpers go to somewhere in scandanavia? It's on that IMAX movie "adrenaline rush" playing at the planetarium. It's got a lake at the bottom. It's pretty famous for the huge face, but maybe it's just good because it has the lake at the bottom, and not that it's the tallest.

This is Trollveggan-- AKA Troll Wall-- sits at somewhere around 1100 or 1200 meters. Huge, but not the biggest. For reference, a mile is around 1600 meters. So any of these walls would be pretty amazing just to see, let alone climb or jump from. The world record for the highest BASE jump is for a jump from the top of Great Trango-- but I don't know if that is for highest starting altitude or actual vertical distance. It seems BASE jumping after climbing huge walls is becoming a more common occurence (although still rare) as a much quicker alternative to rappelling. I've read a few accounts of this.

Sombeech
03-31-2006, 01:30 PM
It seems BASE jumping after climbing huge walls is becoming a more common occurence (although still rare) as a much quicker alternative to rappelling.

Yeah, it may be a little faster :haha:

That's cool. 2 extreme sports blended to one event. I wonder if they'll have a new name for it, something like climb jumping, or base climbing.