PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Walkabout

Cirrus2000
03-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Hey all,

I'm looking at spending about 3 days backpacking in a canyon (not technical) on my own at the end of May. I'm really after the following: solitude, minimal flash flood danger, reasonably reliable water source, nice views (geological and archeological), and moderate difficulty.

Reading Falcon's "Hiking in Utah" has made me think that Arch Canyon would be a good condidate. At the moment, that is my tentative goal. But I do have a few questions...

I'm a little concerned about off road vehicles - especially in light of previous Jeep Jamborees in the canyon, and the controversy involved. If I'm going mid-week, what are my chances of seeing multiple vehicles heading through the area?

In the book I read, it mentioned that Arch Canyon is not particularly busy. Has that changed in the years since publication? Can I expect to see many other backpacking parties?

I'll be filtering my water, and not planning to carry a lot with me. Is the river perennial? I got the feeling that it is... How are the river crossings? Should I prepare for wet feet, or can I rock hop? (How deep is the water, basically?)

Wildlife: Many poisonous or sharp-toothed/hungry critters? (Cougars, scorpions, etc?) Should I shake out my sleeping bag and scout the tent? I have a 4 inch long rip on the floor of my tent - repair it?

Any other suggestions for a destination? Remember my wish list in the first paragraph... Any comments, good or bad, about Arch Canyon?

Thanks in advance!

northernoutpost
04-04-2006, 01:24 PM
I haven't been in Arch, but I would happily recommend the Fish-Owl Canyons Loop in the same area. No worries about vehicle traffic and fills all your requirements, although there are a few hikers in there. A little exploration will find you things that aren't in any of the guidebooks, either.

Scott P
04-04-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm looking at spending about 3 days backpacking in a canyon (not technical) on my own at the end of May. I'm really after the following: solitude, minimal flash flood danger, reasonably reliable water source, nice views (geological and archeological), and moderate difficulty.

Sounds like Dark Canyon, or maybe Gypsum or lower Bowdie.

I'm a little concerned about off road vehicles - especially in light of previous Jeep Jamborees in the canyon, and the controversy involved. If I'm going mid-week, what are my chances of seeing multiple vehicles heading through the area?

You will likely run into vehicles. I would go somewhere else.

I'll be filtering my water, and not planning to carry a lot with me. Is the river perennial? I got the feeling that it is... How are the river crossings? Should I prepare for wet feet, or can I rock hop? (How deep is the water, basically?)

Arch canyon has a tiny creek, not a river. You can usually hop across it.

Wildlife: Many poisonous or sharp-toothed/hungry critters? (Cougars, scorpions, etc?) Should I shake out my sleeping bag and scout the tent? I have a 4 inch long rip on the floor of my tent - repair it?

Always be careful of scorpions.

An
y comments, good or bad, about Arch Canyon?

Arch Canyon is a jeep road; simple as that.

Cirrus2000
05-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Appreciate the comments! I'll be heading out in 3 weeks and I've decided on Trail Canyon to Dark Canyon - poke my nose into Woodenshoe Canyon, then return. I picked up some topo maps from the CNHA website, having fun poring over them.

I'm considering some sort of loop via Trail Canyon, up Dark Canyon to Poison Canyon, back up to the road, and a little (3 mile) tromp along the road back to the head of Trail Canyon. I see lots of stuff on a trail in Trail Canyon, but not a lot of info on Poison Canyon. Anyone know if this is feasible?

If I don't hear one way or the other, I may just try heading DOWN Poison Canyon to start, since I know for sure I can get back UP Trail Canyon.

Whatever happens, I plan to have a trip report sometime in early June, with lots of exciting adventures and photos galore... Well, we all have to have goals to shoot for.

stefan
05-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Hey all,

Reading Falcon's "Hiking in Utah" has made me think that Arch Canyon would be a good condidate

Arch canyon is a beautiful canyon. Yes it's also a jeep road. Most vehicles drive only to the confluence with texas cyn. Some atvs continue above, unfortunately. regardless this means that solitude isn't necessarily attainable. But the upper reaches of texas, butte, and arch canyons are great, not to mention the wonderful arches themselves. I have only been in arch one time for a few days in february. I only saw 2 vehcles on saturday, the day i hiked in, after that, i was alone.

All the canyons in this area are good canyons. Dark canyon is great since it's large and has many options. The upper and lower parts of dark canyon are quite different. Water IS an issue in the middle part of the canyon and in areas of the upper part of the canyon/tributaries. The lower section of the canyon is very deep and quite spectacular with pools and running water. Even though the rim of this canyon is at high elevation, it can be fairly hot in the canyon bottom in may. Not sure about the entrance into poison. You likely will have more solitude in the upper part of the canyon. But there's a lot of solitude in this canyon regarless.

I think one striking feature about descending the middle and lower part of the canyon is that you can actually realize that you are on the descending western slope of the monument upwarp as the layers of the Honaker Trail formation and the Halgaito shale actually descend with you down canyon.

The hike down to the colorado river is a really neat and exhilarating hike
as well. Rodents are an issue near the mouth of lean-to canyon. it's especially important here to hang your food a short distance off the ground, though i do this offen so not to worry about losing food and getting holes in my pack in return.

Happy trails....

Scott P
05-08-2006, 08:58 AM
BETA DELETED

Cirrus2000
05-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Excellent stuff - thanks guys. I can't believe how I'm waffling on this, but I think I've made a final decision. Well, final for the moment, anyway.

Because I've got only 3 full days, rather than a long-ish trip to cover lots of ground, I'd like to drop right into the thick of things. Thus, the Sundance Trail down to Dark Canyon, move up to Lost Canyon, and set up base. That day, head down to the Colorado and back. Day 2, head up to Youngs Canyon and back. Day 3 poke around into Lost Canyon and/or Lean-To Canyon, pack up, and head back up the Sundance Trail.

I've read a few things about how the Sundance Trail is steep and strenuous (one book says "the significant elevation loss and difficult nature of the trail make it the most strenuous hike in this book"), but I'm feeling fit, and been doing lots of steep and rough lately.

So that's likely the final plan. Oh, one more benefit - about an hour shorter drive from SLC (according to both Google Maps and AAA). I should arrive at the trailhead about 8:30 PM on Day 0, camp out and start bright and early Day 1.

stefan
05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Sorry, but this is incorrect. It is the upper end that has water issues. Most springs were dry on our visit during a severe drought. The middle section actually has lots of running water, starting just below Black Steer Canyon.

Incorrect? okay, scott, it all depends on one's definition of "middle." I suppose I should have been more specific. Considering the large scale of the canyon, I was considering below black steer canyon as the lower canyon, the middle part from black steer up somewheres above the confluence with woodenshoe. In any case, there are water issues above black steer canyon.

stefan
05-08-2006, 11:09 AM
I've read a few things about how the Sundance Trail is steep and strenuous (one book says "the significant elevation loss and difficult nature of the trail make it the most strenuous hike in this book"), but I'm feeling fit, and been doing lots of steep and rough lately.

Near lean-to canyon, dark canyon is very deep. The sundance trail is essentially a cairned route down a talus slope, which allows one to easily descend straight to the bottom. There is a packed out trail much of the way, though at some points one needs to pay close attention to cairns. It's steep, but not exposed, strenuous but short. And, as you said, you get right into the thick of it. If you're coming all this way from BC, you might as well see the best parts.

FYI:
When heading for the colorado river, there is a point at which the canyon drops into falls and narrows. At this point, the trail continues on the right (LDC) canyon wall, higher up. There is one exposed move, but very short and very easy. Continue to follow the trail, until it descends back down to the canyon floor.

Scott P
05-08-2006, 11:39 AM
BETA DELETED

Scott P
05-08-2006, 11:43 AM
BETA DELETED

Sombeech
06-19-2006, 06:51 PM
BETA DELETED
:cry1: