PDA

View Full Version : Farther northern newbie

northernoutpost
03-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Well this is really surprising! Here I was debating whether I should join due to the fact that I only manage to get down to Utah 2 to 4 weeks a year (most years, anyway), and I see the previous poster lives across the bridge from me!

Anyway, I'm Chris, a resident of West Vancouver, a geologist and occasional denizen of the canyoneering forums. I'm also very much a Utah afficianado and am presently planning my next visit to correspond with the ACA Zion rendezvous this fall. The general motivation for all my trips (about 20 or so, thus far) has been the CP and I've even managed to link up with a few members here. This said, I spend a surprising amount of time in the West Desert country as well, especially since it's in the way when I head south. A few trips in the Wasatch and Uintas round it out.

Favorite spots include (of course) Zion, the west side Escalante canyons, West Canyon on Lake Powell and (again of course) Buckskin-Paria. Favorite non-traditional spots (and I would add these to Scott's list of "lesser known classics") include Notch Peak in the House Range and Ibapah Peak in the Deep Creeks. Well, not really little known, but strangely absent on this forum despite the quality of the scenery. I have to say that everybody living within Utah is very fortunate to have such a great quality and variety of places to play outdoors. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute in a positive way, despite the fact that I won't have any "weekend TR's"

Iceaxe
03-29-2006, 04:40 PM
:2thumbs: Welcome Chris :2thumbs:

Its good to register just for the simple fact the forum will keep track of new posts for you. Next time you visit the forum all unread posts will have a RED highlight. That saves a bunch of time and helps you keep current :five:

accadacca
03-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Welcome to uutah.com! Awesome scenery in your neck of the woods. :cool2:

Cirrus2000
03-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey, welcome Chris!

Actually, you're significantly farther north than me - I put Vancouver in a general sense; I'm actually in Tsawwassen. A couple bridges and/or a tunnel away from you!

Looks like you're much more experienced in the whole Utah exploration thang than me. Looking forward to my second trip, though! But second or twenty-second, it's all good...

northernoutpost
03-30-2006, 08:11 AM
Cirrus, you're quite fortunate with your location. The first hour out for me is always the most painful, and at least you don't have to go through town!

Arches was one of my first places, too! Obviously it only encouraged me to do more trips. Lots of good information here.

live2ride
03-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Welcome Hoser!!! J/k bad old humor

Sombeech
03-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Welcome to the forum, man. :2thumbs: