PDA

View Full Version : Northern Newbie

Cirrus2000
03-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I just discovered this place last night, and did some exploring. Had to join up!

My name is Kevin, and I live in Vancouver, BC - a neighbour to the north (who spells "neighbour" with a "u"). My outdoor pursuits include light & fluffy rock climbing (trad to 5.7, sport to 5.9), hiking, mountaineering, snowshoeing (I'd ski if all the ligaments in my knees were intact), and some mountain biking. Basically I'm into most any non-motorized back country access.

I discovered a bit of the joy of Utah about a year and a half ago. A friend and I drove to Moab for a bit of biking (Gemini Bridges, Klondike Bluffs, Slickrock Trail) and some short day hikes (Negro Bill Canyon, Devil's Garden Loop @ Arches N.P.). I'd never really seen the desert before, and I was just stunned! What a beautiful place!

Now, I live in an area with beautiful mountains, forests, lakes, etc., so I can relate to hikes in the mountains, among trees, but this stuff with stark rock and sand mixed with lush canyons and springs - wow, it blew me away. And I can't wait to get back - I've been kind of obsessed.

My friend (from the last trip) and I plan to return in the fall, but I just couldn't wait that long. So I'm going to return at the end of May. I'll be doing some solo backpacking in southeastern Utah (down around Blanding) for about 3-4 nights. My wife calls it my "walkabout". I just know that I'm pretty darn excited by it.

So I'll be exploring this board over the next bit, and don't be surprised if I chime in with a few questions before May - looking forward to seeing more of Utah, and learning more about it, too.

Thanks, and be talkin' to ya!

Iceaxe
03-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Welcome noob :2thumbs:

accadacca
03-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Fire away with the Q's! You found the right place....welcome! :2thumbs:

offpiste
03-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Welcome...."neighbour to the north". I know what you mean by ligaments I keep going though, until the knee falls off I guess I'm ok. Post up some pics of your area.

Sombeech
03-27-2006, 08:31 PM
vancouver has some beautiful country that I'd like to see someday. We'll be asking you for some photos. :nod:

Welcome to the site.

Cirrus2000
03-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I'll post a couple of photos from around home.

I'll take my questions to the appropriate forums.

Cheers!

basilone0331
03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Wow, that is really beautiful up there. I 've been wanting go up north for a while and that just makes me want to go even more. Great pics, welcome to the site. :2thumbs:

offpiste
03-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Jealousy and envy have set in. I can see why you want to get out of there for a while....... :haha:

Sombeech
03-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Very nice pics man. That is gorgeous up there. We want more!

rockgremlin
03-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Vancouver is gorgeous. I heard some time ago that the city itself was ranked the cleanest city in North America.

I'd buy that... :nod: