PDA

View Full Version : Where are we going this year?

DickHead
03-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Just what the title says. What packing or camping trips to you have planned?
No dates set yet, but I plan to car camp at Lyman Lake, as well as Flaming Gorge.
I'd like to get some backpacking in, with no specific trips planned yet. My only priority is to go catch some friggin Grayling....so I gotta plan a trip somewhere for that.

Udink
03-27-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm going on (probably) an overnighter in the Moonshine Wash area on April 8th. Pulling my camp trailer down to Justensen Flats in the Swell April 21-25. Overnight backpacking trip to Sid's Mountain in the Swell probably April 29-30.

Other than that, lots of trailer camping planned throughout the entire summer. It's creeping up fast!

accadacca
03-27-2006, 06:41 PM
We are planning a trip back to the Wind Rivers fer sher. :nod: Gotta find that prehistoric laker and get my lure back. :lol8:

I would like to hit Kings Peak and the great fishing along the way. :nod:

Biking in Moab and BBQ'n at rockgremlin's new place. :nod:

Perhaps a few high points. :nod:
And several trips to the blue water of Bear Lake for acca. Not exactly camping where I stay. :bootyshake:

Mtnman1830
03-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Plans have been made for King's Peak, and Nine Mile Canyon.

Perhaps some time in Escalante in Spooky and Peek-a-boo canyons.

and oh yeah..... all 26 highpoints.

gonna have a busy year.

offpiste
03-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Uintah's, boulder, and if time permits Kings peak. Hope to hit highpoints as well. no specific dates just going to go when time allows.

Sombeech
03-27-2006, 08:47 PM
We are planning a trip back to the Wind Rivers fer sher. :nod: Gotta find that prehistoric laker and get my lure back. :lol8:

Copy that, Mad Dog. We's gots ta get that fish!! We should go somewhere in the Uintas too with King's Peak.

packfish
03-29-2006, 08:18 AM
No dates set yet, but I plan to car camp at Lyman Lake, as well as Flaming Gorge.
I'd like to get some backpacking in, with no specific trips planned yet. My only priority is to go catch some friggin Grayling....so I gotta plan a trip somewhere for that.
Grayling: just car camp at Meadow Lake outside of Pinedale at the base of the Winds- Bring a float tube- small lake- I think it is still the lake they get the grayling eggs from. Large Grayling- many well over 16" plus. Very few small grayling if you are using sinking line and a damsel nymph.

DickHead
03-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Grayling: just car camp at Meadow Lake outside of Pinedale at the base of the Winds- Bring a float tube- small lake- I think it is still the lake they get the grayling eggs from. Large Grayling- many well over 16" plus. Very few small grayling if you are using sinking line and a damsel nymph.

How far is that from SLC?

packfish
03-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Probably 4 hours. Just a smooth road trip- you can always hit one of the many creeks, lakes or rivers on the way back that are as good any you will find anywhere.

tatwood
04-10-2006, 05:46 AM
I've got plans to bag a lot of Wasatch peaks and hit the swell a few times. I'd like to hit Buckskin Gulch if I can get enough time off of work, but I'm most exited about climbing Mt. Whitney. We have a permit for the first week in September. :2thumbs:

TreeHugger
04-10-2006, 07:47 AM
A slow summer this year. The only trip planned is a week backpack in the Cascade Mountains - Enchantment Lakes area.

Here are some pics I found on line of the area we will be in:
http://members2.clubphoto.com/robert198786/73694/guest.phtml

stefan
04-10-2006, 08:10 AM
but I'm most exited about climbing Mt. Whitney. We have a permit for the first week in September. :2thumbs:

Standard route or mountaineers? Enjoy, but be prepared for a ZOO on the peak. we spent about 6 hours on top(sept), only 45min of which was there no one but ourselves. At times it was amazingly packed. We hiked from the west side, on a trip from cottonwood lakes. i heard the permit system was put into place after a particularly busy summer where at one point there was 900 people on the peak (very wide peak). spectacular views from up there, especially the 11000' straight down the east side of the range. :thumb:

immediate plans for me is a hike to rainbow bridge (always wanted to see it). 5 days hiking in from the cha canyon side and doing cha and nasja canyons, as well as other exploring, along the way.

stefan

tatwood
04-10-2006, 08:35 AM
but I'm most exited about climbing Mt. Whitney. We have a permit for the first week in September. :2thumbs:

Standard route or mountaineers? Enjoy, but be prepared for a ZOO on the peak. we spent about 6 hours on top(sept), only 45min of which was there no one but ourselves. At times it was amazingly packed. We hiked from the west side, on a trip from cottonwood lakes. i heard the permit system was put into place after a particularly busy summer where at one point there was 900 people on the peak (very wide peak). spectacular views from up there, especially the 11000' straight down the east side of the range. :thumb:

stefan

Were just doing the standard route. I would like to do the mountaineers route someday though. I've heard that it can be crazy on the summit. The stats show that the numbers start to decrease into September, that being the reason we

stefan
04-10-2006, 04:34 PM
[quote=tatwood]
I've heard that it can be crazy on the summit. The stats show that the numbers start to decrease into September, that being the reason we

tatwood
04-10-2006, 05:41 PM
How sad is that! I can't believe they actually took the money. Usually the people you meet on the trail are the nicest people around. In fact, I can honestly say that in all of the trail miles I

goofball
04-10-2006, 07:09 PM
this year i will not be denied !

in '04 i went to the wind rivers. after dropping jr at the airport i dropped my transmission. 3 day delay. ok. un-fun, but 3 days out of 2 weeks... got in the winds and boots de-soled on day 3. limped out day 4. said dirty words and canyoned near home.
:frustrated:

in '05 went to holy cross wilderness for 5 days. heading towards zion for week 2 and... a flat east of grand junction and a blown gasket that emptied my oil pan every 100 miles. then the transmisson starts acting up. remainder of "vacation" spent in albuquerque buying a new car. :frustrated: :frustrated:

this year i shall break the curse and WILL have an enjoyable, non-mechanically-deterred vacation ! in the wind rivers.

plus various and sundry other adventures of the canyoning nature throughout the year as opportunities arise.

yea verily !

stefan
04-10-2006, 08:37 PM
How sad is that!
:
:
Those guys were just pathetic.

i know....it's really my only story like that, though, fortunately.

Do you have any pics of your trip stefan?

yes...i even have a sequence of 24 vertically oriented photographs which connect very nicely into a full panorama from the peak.

but since this was almost 10 years ago, i haven't digitized them.

tatwood
04-10-2006, 08:48 PM
How sad is that!
:
:
Those guys were just pathetic.

i know....it's really my only story like that, though, fortunately.

Do you have any pics of your trip stefan?

yes...i even have a sequence of 24 vertically oriented photographs which connect very nicely into a full panorama from the peak.

but since this was almost 10 years ago, i haven't digitized them.

If you ever get around to digitizing them, you'll have to put them up on here. I'm sure it looks cool.

Dean Myerson
04-18-2006, 06:46 AM
I haven't been up there since a number of times in the 80's, when I lived in Calif. Glad I did the various routes (trail, mountaineers and east face) back then. No cell phones either.

And I do want to emphasize how broad that summit is. It's kind of like a chunk of rolling prairie raised up high. That doesn't mean it's nice having 900 people up there. :eek2:

Is the old stone building still up there? I hard that they were going to remove it.

It will be colder in Sept, but the chance for a storm is still pretty low.

Dean

stefan
04-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Is the old stone building still up there? I hard that they were going to remove it.

Apparently it still is, as i quickly found this link to a photoTR from last summer.

http://tinyurl.com/gw7rg

Wasatch Rebel
04-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Camping with my wife at Great Basin Nat. Park
Scout camping a few places--our week camp will be at Potter's Ponds near Fairview.
I will be hiking, somewhere, sometime, but I haven't planned any of them yet.