PDA

View Full Version : BMW Fever

accadacca
03-27-2006, 03:12 PM
I rode one at the dubya shop on Saturday and my wife is wishin' I hadn't. :twisted: I neeeeeed one.... :nod:

There was a beauty on ebay this weekend, 02 11 fiddy. I rode an 05 1200GS. What a dream.... :naughty:

:wallbash: :chairshot: :getiton: :jump_nutt: :slobber: :compthrow:

BrainDamage
03-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Sweet I would love to have one, My friend had one of those 2 years ago, but he sold it to bya KTm V-Twin, but that is asweet bike.

double moo
04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
neary 20k miles in the past 2.,5 years and I still love mine!

Today I stopped at the BMW shop in Boise. I asked when they were getting the new 1200 adventure. They noted that they weren't allowed to display one until the Apr 22nd nationwide unveiling.... but had one out back if I wanted to take a look! Absolutely beautiful... coolest thing on 2 wheels! It is my new dream ride - unfortunately at about $19k fitted out ($16.6k base) I will have to wait a couple years and pick up a used one!... or find a used 1200 and deck it out muself......

Hurry and invest in one... we are heading to Canada for 9 days in early June!!

accadacca
04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
I almost pulled the trigger tonight on a nice 01 with 13,000. Had some hard bags, guards, PIAA's, cruise. Just a bit high! I am still on the hunt....lookin' for an 01-02. Let me know if you see anything. Id like to hear more about your plans for this trip too. :cool2:

double moo
04-05-2006, 07:51 AM
I was on advrider the other day looking at a thread about mileage on bikes - one guy had a 96' GS with over 300k on it. Mine is a '95 with just under 50k and runs perfectly. Many guys on the site reported over 150k and a few into the 200k range. You can pick up a nicely kept 96-99 for 5-7K. They made mods in 2000 changing to the fiddy - not significant... but newer all the less. In comparing Mine ('95) to McClurg's ('00) there wasn't enough diff to warrent $1k - but he paid $5k more for the same mileage bikes. (plus mine already had the jesse bags, seat and other mods - which he had to pay for over the next year.

You might want to stop into Motorcycle R&R - just off 7th west at about 7100 south. Ron is the guru of all things BMW. He doesn't sell bikes anymore just works on them. Real low key guy - will tell you what to look for on about any year you could pick. Ther have been different recalls and TSBs that some bikes have been corrected and others were not. Also he hears about guys selling or trading up their bikes all the time and would hook you up with the sellers.

Leaving Friday 6/9/06 - heading north to Glacier National Park. From there we are planning to head to Banff then north to Jasper, then meander to the west through BC and down until returning the followiong Saturday. Of course plans change once you hit the road - weather and other issues may send us a different direction... always keep your options open!

accadacca
04-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah, there is a 98 in Co right now on ebay and no bids. Asking too much though. Thanks for the advice. I have a friend helping me find one. He has had quite a few BMW's. We have several on the docket at the moment. :popcorn:

The 6th gear on the fiddys is a nice thing to have. I am not sure when the hydraulic clutch came in to play?

double moo
04-05-2006, 12:52 PM
but don't rule out the lower gearing of the 1100 - first gear is roughly equivalent to that of the 1150 Adventure - which is lower and more dirt worthy than the fiddy. (wheelies easier - though not a great idea on a 500 lb bike inthe first place...)

Another place to check is on advrider Flea Market

Had a local guy sell his '00 for $6200 incl panniers, lights, and other extras...

Ratman
04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Hey Accadacca - If you sell that 620 R/XC KTM give me a yell at (ratman@infowest.com). I've got mine in pieces in the garage trying to track down the original location of a small piece of brass pin I found in the oil. I'm also changing all the bearings while I'm in there. I think the perfect combo would be the KTM and a 1150 GS.

accadacca
04-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey Accadacca - If you sell that 620 R/XC KTM give me a yell at (ratman@infowest.com). I've got mine in pieces in the garage trying to track down the original location of a small piece of brass pin I found in the oil. I'm also changing all the bearings while I'm in there. I think the perfect combo would be the KTM and a 1150 GS.
Yeah, the dreaded bearing deal. Oh man Rat...good luck. The first question my wife had about the BMW is "are you going to sell the other one?" I said politely, HELL NO!! :naughty: Its my dirt sofa!

Yeah this GS is going to be nice and the two will do their respective jobs nicely. I might leave the ole KTM in the garage at Bear Lake all summer. Ride the GS up, hop on the katoom and head for the trails. Life will be goooood! :five:

double moo
04-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Out for a ride on sat - passed a couple in a Prius - got me thinking 'bout you! Any luck on a new ride?

I talked to the guys at R&R - Jeff noted that it seems like there is a huge rush to by GSs suddenly. Not as many available on CraigsList, on ebay, or posted in the shops. It's good for keeping their value up... bad if you're looking to buy one!

The shop I hit in Boise last week said they sell 50 GSs a year - and a total of 30 combined for all other BMWs. Guy said there are quite a few upgrading theirs and that some good deals should come available on used bikes in their market... Try checking the classifieds in the Boise area.

accadacca
04-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Still looking and doin' homework. I think the shops will start getting them in and we will see more around. All the shops are having their ADV unveiling this month. I will get one soon enough....

double moo
04-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Just a note - Boise has pre-sold 8 of the new adventures - the guy said he is not sure if they will even get 8 this year! I think that they will become available... but not a lot of them.

For 2 years running the R1200GS has been voted the best bike - the magazines are jumping on this. 2 months ago in MC the 11xxGS was listed in the top best used bikes to buy - '95 to '04. I noticed today on ebay that a '95 is selling for what I paid 3 years ago for mine... and mine had more farkles on it!

accadacca
04-16-2006, 07:34 PM
I do have all the neighboring classifieds bookmarked. It would be nice to find one that I could pickup. Three things concern me about shipping.

1-Paying the extra cash
2-Not getting to see the bike in person
3-Possible damage in shipping

I have looked at a dozen lately. Getting ready to pull the trigger...... :2thumbs: Did you buy yours local? There's a 98 GS on KSL with 50K..

accadacca
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Ive decided to explore the KTM 950 a bit as well before pulling the trigger. It could be more geared toward my style of riding. Yeah the motor is not proven like the BMW. The matinece would be higher...well not much with the BMW. Some things with the KTM.....chain and sprokets.

Might be enough road though to suit my needs and really fun in the dirt. A good commuter and canyon runner. I don't know that I will spend too many consecutive hours on the road in a year. Like big trips...perhaps one big road ride a year. Anyhow....check out the picture that I found... :lol8:

double moo
04-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I might note that on my only test ride of the 1200gs I was able to get the front end up in the first 4 gears - still the 950 is much better int he dirt!

FWIW - you have a nice dirt bike! why get one that is that much heavier for the same function? If you are looking for some more road worthy riding the GS is the ticket. Though the 950s look lke a lot of fun... and the new 990 maybe moreso!

I bought mine from a guy in Jackson Hole. Worked it out with him over the phone such that after looking at it I could go either way. I drove up there and test rode it, looked it over, and threw it in the truck!

That one in SLC doesn't look like a bad deal - he has the Touratech hardparts on ... so my guess is that he has bothered to take care of it. Don't worry about the 50k miles... mine now has 50k also and is running as well... maybe better... than when I bought it 20k ago.

Also you could always run it over to R&R for a quick once over and opinion from Ron... he might have been the one servicing it already anyway!

double moo
04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
QUICK BEFORE THE LITTLE ONE COMES! PRIORITIES WILL CHANGE!

accadacca
04-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Yeah, that is what my wife said, "you already have a dirt bike!" True, but this would suit purposes on the street too and it looks so damn cool. :naughty:

double moo
04-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Congratulations on the new additionsssss to your family!! Spoke to the old guy this afternoon - congrats on both!

Moo

fourtycal
04-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Accadacca wrote:

We have several on the docket at the moment.

So what did you end up getting?? :ride:

accadacca
04-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I guess it is time to show some pictures. I flew a friend down to Phoenix this morning and he is riding the bike home. I just couldn't get away with all this baby stuff going on right now. I got an 04 R1150GSA with 10K. What a beauty let me tell ya..... :five:

double moo
04-30-2006, 08:27 PM
The big guy and I are needin to do some high mileage days to prep the butts for Canada in June. We are riding long on 5/13 and 5/27. Please join us. Also we have room for one more on our Canade trip. 6/9 theough 6/17.

moo

accadacca
05-10-2006, 08:18 PM
You need to post a trip report on here after your ride this weekend. Take a few photos too. :popcorn:

I am looking forward to a ride on the 27th. :ride: Are your guys just riding on Sat or sleeping over from Friday night? I have been riding the bike to work everyday........LUV it!

Oh yeah btw someone explained the difference between a beamer/beemer and a bimmer today. Do you know?

http://www.bmwccbc.org/misc/tech-and-trivia/bimmer.html
http://www.bimmercenter.com/article_001_name.html

Sombeech
05-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Oh yeah btw someone explained the difference between a beamer/beemer and a bimmer today.

Bimmer, and Beamer. Hmm, interesting. I did not know this.

Oh, and the 3rd vehicle below is a Bummer:

http://uutah.com/forum/files/bummer1.jpg

accadacca
05-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah! Well the Beamer ain't no stinking Americana vehicular like the bummer. Gerrrrrman engineering!!! :lol8:

double moo
05-15-2006, 09:03 AM
We were planning to ride Saturday only. but I like the idea of heading out Friday after work - we can get a couple hundred miles out and spend Saturday on some better routes. I'm thinking of a good one right now! Call me and let me know if you could do a friday departure - I'm in already... and the route we could get out of it is fantastic.

accadacca
05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
I am good with a Friday departure. It is memorial weekend though....would have to watch the traffic issues. I need to bookmark your number and store when you call again. What do you have in mind? :popcorn:

accadacca
03-13-2012, 06:20 PM
I don't know that I will spend too many consecutive hours on the road in a year. Like big trips...perhaps one big road ride a year.
Fast forward 6 years at 10,000 per year and the blue and white beemer is still runnin' strong. This pic from this morning... :stud:

Canada Last year... :ride:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/267506_2167856405707_1525610944_32325234_3065120_n .jpg

Trip Report: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?56133-4000-miles!!!-%28Live%29 (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?56133-4000-miles%21%21%21-%28Live%29)

live2ride
03-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Very nice, just read the thread again Awesome

Mtnseeker1
03-13-2012, 10:39 PM
It's pretty hard to pass judgment on any BMW.
BUT I sure would like to try my new neighbors HP-2:lol8::lol8::lol8: