PDA

View Full Version : Highline trail in the Uintas?

Shan
03-27-2006, 10:25 AM
My husband mentioned to me wanting to hike the Highline Trail in the Uintas this year.

We both worked for the Uintas, he was a wilderness ranger for 3 years, so it'd be fun to return to the place where we met.

Anyone do the whole thing? Got a TR link?

Scott P
03-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Anyone do the whole thing? Got a TR link?

I've done the whole thing, but in stages. Pretty good trail in most areas, but faded in others (such as upper Lake Fork and Chepeta Lake to Leidy Peak, at least in the early 1990's). Since the faded sections are above timberline, you can still find your way and there are cairns.

The most challenging section is above Deadhorse Lake. That part is usually covered with snow until early to mid-August, and an ice axe can be useful before then.

PS, I too used to work in the Uintas.

Iceaxe
03-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Scott has a really good guidebook he wrote on the Western Uinta's. The book is a little bit dated now but still filled with lots of good info. Ask nice and you might be able to buy a copy from him.

:2thumbs:

live2ride
04-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey I was talking to a buddy today and he mentioned this trail, he wanted to do it as and epic bike ride? I didn't know if bikes were allowed or not? Anyone know if it is even possible to ride that terrain? Thanks

Scott P
04-02-2006, 12:15 PM
I didn't know if bikes were allowed or not?

No.

Anyone know if it is even possible to ride that terrain?

Many sections would be impossible on a bike.

live2ride
04-02-2006, 08:19 PM
I didn't know if bikes were allowed or not?

No.

Anyone know if it is even possible to ride that terrain?

Many sections would be impossible on a bike.

Thanks for the Info!!!

Shan
04-03-2006, 12:04 PM
It's designated Wilderness, so no bikes allowed. Not even mechanized tools are allowed to do trail maintenance.

FlyfishermanMike
04-04-2006, 01:27 AM
This is an awsome trail to hike. Some great view once you make the saddle.

^^ike