PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report need a few suggestions on hikes near St. George

jman
03-24-2006, 05:49 PM
I need a few suggesitons on hikes near St. George for tomorrow (I can't decide - I'm in a 'not assertive' mode currently.

I was thinking some like Red Cliffs (owned by the BLM) and go swimming in the cold water there or something like the waterfalls off of Gunlock Reservoir or something like that.

I'll take whatever suggestions (especially new ones) you can throw at me.

Or...I can take some pictures of some petroglyphs that NO ONE knows about except for me - since I found them and there is no signs, no footprints, no trash, no guides - I even asks the Petroglyph society of utah (or whatever it is called) to see if they have heard of them and nope - they don't. Their pretty close to the Kolob Permit station too - well, relatively.

hmm...let me know what you think

Sombeech
03-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Or...I can take some pictures of some petroglyphs that NO ONE knows about except for me - since I found them and there is no signs, no footprints, no trash, no guides - I even asks the Petroglyph society of utah (or whatever it is called) to see if they have heard of them and nope - they don't. Their pretty close to the Kolob Permit station too - well, relatively.

Hey, that would be cool. You should take a ton of pics, but don't give away the location. Then, that would make everybody come through you if they wanted to see them. You'd have the exclusive. :2thumbs:

It's a good way to keep traffic/pollution/vandalism down on these kind of things.

Sombeech
03-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Other than that, the only other stuff to do on foot down there is Snow Canyon, Zion (including Kolob), and possibly Kanarra Creek. It may be too early for Kanarra Creek (high water flow?) I tried it once, but didn't make it. I'd love to try again though.

Shan
03-27-2006, 10:41 AM
I have hiked in that Red Cliffs Reserve you mentioned. That's usually where I camp when I head down that way.

jman
03-27-2006, 02:16 PM
K- this is really dumb. So I went there this weekend and I was going to bring my camera and I set it down on my bed so I would pick it up when I left - and so when I finally headed up the hill I was searching for the camera, then it hit me that I freakin forgot to pack it! SOOOOO, this weekend I am doing another trip there and take lots of pics for yall.

accadacca
03-27-2006, 02:38 PM
K- this is really dumb. So I went there this weekend and I was going to bring my camera and I set it down on my bed so I would pick it up when I left - and so when I finally headed up the hill I was searching for the camera, then it hit me that I freakin forgot to pack it! SOOOOO, this weekend I am doing another trip there and take lots of pics for yall.
:chairshot: ....... :haha:

Sombeech
03-27-2006, 03:04 PM
SOOOOO, this weekend I am doing another trip there and take lots of pics for yall.

Now, THAT'S a forum member dedicated to Trip Reports! :2thumbs:

You da man. Besides, I suppose it's a cool enough place to visit again, eh?

jman
03-27-2006, 07:30 PM
SOOOOO, this weekend I am doing another trip there and take lots of pics for yall.

Now, THAT'S a forum member dedicated to Trip Reports! :2thumbs:

You da man. Besides, I suppose it's a cool enough place to visit again, eh?

well - I think so. It's about a 20min hike from I-15 on rough terrain and I take people who haven't seen it before on it just to show them their lots of stuff out there that people still don't know about...

jman
04-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Alrighty, so I'm back. I got lots of pictures of the Rock Art, and a few random pictures around Leeds, Quail Creek, and Red Cliffs Recreation Site.

Give me a few minutes to upload all of them (or at least the good ones) - there is about 90pics at about 393MB. I have a Canon SD500 digital camera @ 7.1 Megpix - so you should be able to zoom in pretty close.

Iceaxe
04-02-2006, 05:05 PM

Someone asked me about these petroglyphs about three or four years ago. Or at least they sound like the same ones from your brief description. I've never been to them. Actually I had totally forgot about them until your post..... but at least a couple other folks know about them. I can't wait to see your pitures. I really enjoy rock art.

I do know of a couple other good rock art sites in the area but they are on private property. There seems to be a lot of it in the area.

:popcorn:

jman
04-02-2006, 07:05 PM

Someone asked me about these petroglyphs about three or four years ago. Or at least they sound like the same ones from your brief description. I've never been to them. Actually I had totally forgot about them until your post..... but at least a couple other folks know about them. I can't wait to see your pitures. I really enjoy rock art.

I do know of a couple other good rock art sites in the area but they are on private property. There seems to be a lot of it in the area.

:popcorn:

it was me who asked you on your yahoo club - 3 years ago actually. And "officially" no one knows about them because I talked to the BLM of that area and the owner of the farm there about it and they have no idea. The BLM wants me to take them there sometime. I dunno. I don't know what they would do if I told them. I got the GPS coordinates to it today. Still hold on the pics for a moment

jman
04-02-2006, 07:28 PM
alrighty - here are the pics and other random ones.....i have plenty more if you want me share them - but those are pretty much most of the rockart

Sombeech
04-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Nice shots, man.

I sense an avatar coming from this one. :haha:
http://uutah.com/forum/files/img_0041__small_.jpg

live2ride
04-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Great pics, makes me want to go check that out

Iceaxe
04-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Nice find :2thumbs:

jman
04-02-2006, 11:31 PM
here are more random pics of st. george area since I've been here for the past 4months

jman
04-03-2006, 12:23 AM
here are more random pics Southern Utah so all you northeners can drool with envy...

These are from the Little Narrows (next to 'Dixie Rock') and Gunlock Reservoir and some around the dorms with snow in middle of march! (rare stuff)

jman
04-03-2006, 12:35 AM
nm

jman
04-03-2006, 12:39 AM
gunlock reservoir spillway

that's all of my slideshow for now........anyways.

Sombeech
04-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for those cool shots :2thumbs:

rock_ski_cowboy
04-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Cool, fun pictures. Looks like your enjoying yourself down there. What was up with the star wars kids? Haloween? Good costumes.

jman
04-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Cool, fun pictures. Looks like your enjoying yourself down there. What was up with the star wars kids? Haloween? Good costumes.

Thanks. I am having a great time down here. This week I'm headed to Zion to do a few hikes!

The Starwars kdis said that they were shooting a "movie". It's pretty funny, actually.

Today I took more pictures around Hurricane and La Verkin - if anyone is interested in seeing them - or is everyone sick of my pics?

jman
05-15-2006, 12:36 AM
I just heard from a friend of another cool thing to do down in st. george area. It is called Toquerville Falls (it is close to Toquerville which is north of Hurricane). It has like a 15foot high waterfall and they say you can jump off it into the pool below.

Now before I start asking the locals in the near future - i was wondering if anyone here knows how to get there? or recommends the place or have their opinions on it.

thanks