PDA

View Full Version : Great Basin National Park/Wheeler Peak

Wasatch Rebel
03-21-2006, 07:46 PM
The wife and I are most probably going to be going camping there in mid-July, so I need as much information as possible on camping spots and fun things to do, hikes, things to see etc. Anyone ever been there? How about fishing? Any good spots?

shaggy125
03-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Either buy, or if you live in SLC go to the county library and pick up (or put on hold and they will deliver it to the nearest branch) Mike Kelsey's guide to Great Basin NP.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0960582487/104-1124611-0910364?v=glance&n=283155

Some are not big fans of Kelsey's books, but as long as you don't expect step by step descriptions of every inch of the hike, accept the fact that he might have missed a couple things here and there, and realize you probably won't even approach doing the hike anywhere near the time he says it takes (unless you are a REALLY fast hiker) they are a good resource. Probably not much fishing info, but lots of info on routes up Wheeler Peak and many of the surrounding peaks. Also gives routes to other lakes and the limestone arch down in the southern end of the park (if you have 4wd you can see more than without).

Eric.

offpiste
03-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Went there a few years back. CG at the base of the mountain is decent. Cave tours available, must do really cool. Lots of hiking and biking to do, wheeler itself is a good hike.
can't remember any fishing we drove back into minersville res.

desertrat222
06-14-2006, 08:26 PM
We drove through there a couple years ago its pretty cool, i don't fish so i cant help you there. I would recommend going through the cave there and to head north and go to the cave out by gandy and also check out Gandy warm spring, No need for swim attire there :naughty: its Gnarly... it also has a small under water cave that's pretty cool...