PDA

View Full Version : Beta Nine Mile Canyon

Mtnman1830
03-17-2006, 05:23 AM
A trip is in the planning to see Nine Mile Canyon. Any advice on where to go and what to see, and what to skip????

We plan on hitting some highpoints while we are in the area, and plan on spending a few days...

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks

James_B_Wads2000
03-17-2006, 06:50 AM
I did day trip rock art tour that

Iceaxe
03-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Here is most of my info on Nine Mile Canyon

Nine Mile Canyon
http://climb-utah.com/Misc/ninemile.htm

Make sure you take some type of printed guide because almost nothing is marked or located. Its been about 3 years since I last visited Nine Mile. I have only spent two days in the canyon and what is noted is just some of what I found. Nine Mile is one of those deals you get out of it what you put into it. But I would certainly put it on my "must do list".

One nice thing about Nine Mile is you can tailor your visit to match the skills of those with you.... old folks and young kids can see a great deal by just walking around the car. Strong hikers will find much more....

:blahblah:

stefan
03-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Nine Mile is great! the canyon is very beautiful as well. I have only been once and the lighting was absolutely spectacular on the cliffs with grey clouds behind....very beautiful.

The petroglyphs are great and endless.

One recommendation might be that if you don't want to get out of your car to view every single rock that has carvings on it (i.e. those along the road itself) , bring binoculars (maybe shane's mentioned this). I know it sounds kinda funny, viewing something with binoculars from your car which is a couple a feet away....in fact it sounds absurd. then again, you will be getting out of your car ever 30 seconds and i find that annoying as well.

definitely worth doing. You can't be disappointed even if you've seen all the rock art in the swell, escalante, barrier canyon, grand gulch, etc....

also the road is good even when wet.

enjoy

stefan

Iceaxe
03-17-2006, 08:59 AM
It's funny..... when you first start driving the road you jump out at every pictograph..... at the end of the day its like..... "gosh, only 10 pictographs on that rock, lets just skip it". :haha:

Binoculars are also good for viewing the graneries high on the canyon walls.

:popcorn:

Windwalker
03-17-2006, 07:25 PM
We tried to do Nine Mile last mid-June but it wasn't a good experience because of Haloburton (?) drilling trucks traveling the road. Halburton (?) is the same outfit in Iraq you keep hearing about on the six-oclock news. What little we did see between trucks and after the dust settled back to the road was fabulous. We would have returned by now but my wife is going to school and time off together is up to the stars and planets. It is at the top of our list after she graduates late april. Binoculars/fieldglasses are a must, a spotting scope is even better if you have one to mount on your door window. You wont be disappointed by visiting NINE MILE.

Shan
03-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I used to live in the Uintah Basin and we went to Nine Mile often.

But we had no plans or maps, we just drove in and looked at rock art and camped and biked.

Bring a spare tire and lots of water!

Mtnman1830
03-21-2006, 11:52 AM
I used to live in the Uintah Basin and we went to Nine Mile often.

I have family in Bluebell

Mtnman1830
03-21-2006, 11:53 AM
I used to live in the Uintah Basin and we went to Nine Mile often

I have family that live in Bluebell and Roosevelt

Shan
03-21-2006, 12:04 PM

I remember Bluebell!

I lived in Roosevelt for 6 months, while I worked in Duchesne. I was first out in Hanna. That was a little too lonely for me.

Mtnman1830
03-21-2006, 12:13 PM
We have family reunions at Moon Lake. Long drive, but fun to spend camping time with the family.

Shan
03-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Are you related to the Oman's?

Mtnman1830
03-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Are you related to the Oman's?

No, the Birds.

rock_ski_cowboy
03-21-2006, 02:51 PM

I remember Bluebell!

I lived in Roosevelt for 6 months, while I worked in Duchesne. I was first out in Hanna. That was a little too lonely for me.

Small world. My uncle has a ranch in Altamont. My Dad's from Tabiona. Spent many days on my Grandpa's ranch on the Duchesne River as a kid. Still have a few friends in the area (the Burts). Pretty country; wouldn't want to live there.

Shan
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Tabiona Valley, that is pretty country. I appreciate the beauty much more now, than when I was a fresh out of party college grad in '99.