PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Water

Udink
03-08-2006, 10:40 AM
I've never really been backpacking before, and I'm planning an overnight trip for the end of April, but I'm having a difficult time with one thing: how much water should I carry? I will be in an area where there is probably no water to be found, so I plan on carrying all that I need. The trip will be two days and one night, about 13 miles round trip, probably 70

TreeHugger
03-08-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm assuming you dont have a water filter?

If you are camping near a water source you can boil water to cook with so you wont have to carry cooking water (if not figure out how much you need for the meal you'll cook and carry that in a Nalgene). After that, it's just as much as you will want/like to drink per day. It's not hot and you're not hiking far, so you dont have to go overboard. I would plan a large camelbaks' worth for the hike out and the afternoon there - whatever that amounts to in pints - and then another camelbaks' worth for the next day and the hike out. If I'm only going for one night, I'll bring a bottle of wine with me for the evenings! :2thumbs:

Udink
03-08-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm assuming you dont have a water filter?

I don't have a water filter, but if that were the only issue then I'd just get one. I just don't think there will be any water in no man's land (http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/8cf5c300-ed94-46fc-905e-ef4e8210f137.jpg). The place is at the highest point of a "mountain" in the San Rafael Swell, and I think water will be very hard to come by, if not impossible.

If I'm only going for one night, I'll bring a bottle of wine with me for the evenings! :2thumbs:
Already got that part covered. :naughty:

Scott P
03-08-2006, 11:37 AM
In April, and in the San Rafael Swell, plan on carrying one gallon per day. If it was summer, you will need more. Actually, in April, and at the higher elevations in the San Rafael, you may have some snow around in the shade. From the car, if you notice that the north facing slopes of the buttes have snow, you can carry less water and plan on melting it. If not, carry a gallon per day.

Glockguy
03-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Also try sending DeViDe an email...he knows a lot about the Swell.

TreeHugger
03-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Wow, that really is "no man's land"!! yeah, a big (100 oz) camelbak each way should be plenty, now add cooking water since there will be no water anywhere near you! 70 degrees isnt bad though - they say a gallon a day in Death Valley in the summer ....