PDA

View Full Version : My Brother told me about this site....

Mtnman1830
03-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Let me intoduce myself, My name is Kirt, and before I became a single father, I used to do the rendevous. I have participated in events in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming.

I went to school with shphilby and also work with him, and we plan on bagging the highest peaks in each county this year.

I bought a Garmen etrex vista last spring, and started geocaching. My son loves finding the 'treasure' and when I go off on some more difficult ones I bring my camera along.

Last year, we bagged Ben Lomond Peak, and if any haven't done this, I think its a must do.

I havent done any backpacking for a long time, (I used to be a Scoutmaster 10 years ago) and I have been missing it dearly.

I plan on taking my son on a small couple mile pack in (He's only six, so we wont want to go to far).

I should have done this sooner, I found this site a while ago, but I have been busy with work and school, and reading some posts.

Glad you all are here.

accadacca
03-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the site! :2thumbs: Bag a few peaks for me. :five:

Sombeech
03-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Last year, we bagged Ben Lomond Peak, and if any haven't done this, I think its a must do.

I really want to do that sometime soon. Hopefully this summer.

Welcome to the site. Are you in the Ogden area?

Mtnman1830
03-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Yes. I live in Roy

Iceaxe
03-06-2006, 08:03 PM
:2thumbs: Welcome :2thumbs:

Sombeech
03-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Yes. I live in Roy

Cool. I go to the Roy Complex in the mornings.

accadacca
03-07-2006, 10:49 AM
I go to the Roy Complex in the mornings.
Is this tied to your probation.... :lol8:

Sorry the word "Complex" just sounded like prison or something. :haha:

cachehiker
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
we plan on bagging the highest peaks in each county this year.

I've been up Ben Lomond Peak in Weber County, Naomi Peak in Cache County, and "Bridger Peak" in Rich County (peaks don't get any easier). Let me know when your going after Box Elder County and that peak out near Grouse Creek. After that, I guess I'll start looking at Davis County for the next one.

Sombeech
03-07-2006, 05:50 PM
I go to the Roy Complex in the mornings.
Is this tied to your probation.... :lol8:

Sorry the word "Complex" just sounded like prison or something. :haha:

That must be why I can't get away from these 40 lbs. I've played raquetball several mornings a week for 2 months, and it's doing NOTHING.

tatwood
03-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Welcome to the site. If you need a partner for any of the peaks let me know. I've got a similar goal for this summer.

James_B_Wads2000
03-21-2006, 07:47 PM
[quote=Mtnman1830]we plan on bagging the highest peaks in each county this year.

I've been up Ben Lomond Peak in Weber County,

Mtnman1830
03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Yes, Willard Peak is the hightest in Weber County. Ben Lomond is (I believe) 1/4 of a mile away...

We did Ben last June. There was still snow, we probably should have waited for a while longer.

Iceaxe
03-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Spring snow like that is super easy with a pair of crampons and an iceaxe. You can rent them at REI for a couple of bucks or get a setup for around $100 if you watch the close-out ads.

accadacca
03-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Yeah, that looks a little scary.....but whatever works huh. :lol8:

Mtnman1830
03-22-2006, 08:15 AM
After reading the book "Epic Stories of Survival from the World's Hightest Peaks" (edited by Clint Wilis), I started writing short 'trip reports' about my adventures.

This is a good book about mountaineering, including stories about Everest, K2, Mt. McKinley, Nanda Devi and some others.

I have no interest in actually doing anything this extreme, but it is great to read about in a warm home kicked back on my lazy boy...