PDA

View Full Version : Hatchet, saw, or other?

DickHead
03-06-2006, 10:00 AM
What do you carry? Saw, hatchet, or something else. Obviously I'm looking at needing to harvest firewood to keep warm and scare off the boogey man....

TreeHugger
03-06-2006, 01:36 PM
It's rare that I carry any of those things since usually there is a fire restriction where I've backpacked. Usually, by the time it's dark, I'll be in my bag reading, then asleep and up with the sun.

shaggy125
03-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Yea, a lot of popular spots have fire restrictions. Where I have had fires I've had no trouble finding logs dead enough that if I hit them against a rock really hard they will break into workable pieces. I'm sure a hatchet would work though if you feel the extra weight is worth it.

Mtnman1830
03-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I just bought a Glock E-Tool. It has a saw built into it. It may be kinda cumbersome to use, but that with a shovel would be nice to have... Im looking forward to try it out.

Since I am on the subject, I picked up a book by Kathleen Meyer called "How to Shit in the Woods". What I have read, this is a great book.

Sombeech
03-06-2006, 08:45 PM
I picked up a book by Kathleen Meyer called "How to Shit in the Woods".

:haha: By the way, is that you in your avatar?

DickHead
03-07-2006, 08:08 AM
I always thought the fire restrictions were year-dependant. Low water years tended to be higher-fire-dangers.....obviously I'm not going to burn unless I have to (IE, accidentally wet, unexpected snow, etc.) if there are restrictions.
I was thinking something along these lines

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13834&memberId=12500226

Even though its heavy, an axe like this
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=13831
has a ton of uses.

Scott P
03-07-2006, 10:12 AM
What do you carry?

Nothing of the sort. In winter, I will occasionally biuld a fire in a wash bottom, but you won't need a saw. Otherwise, I usually don't have a fire.

Fire restrictions are real, and year round in many areas. In many areas of the Wasatch or Uintas it is illegal year round. Same with all national parks, and some other areas.

cachehiker
03-07-2006, 01:30 PM
What do you carry?

We generally make it into the middle of the summer before backcountry fire restrictions take effect. A big buck knife with a 6-7" blade is generally all I carry into the backcountry. No gun. No axe. No saw.

If I was inclined to carry something more because of a tall, drop dead gorgeous but tenderfooted backpacking companion who wanted to spend time cuddling in front of a decent fire, I would probably carry a survival machete with a sawback blade.

DickHead
03-08-2006, 11:28 AM
No gun. No axe. No saw.

Last I checked, gun's aren't real efficient for collecting firewood.....