PDA

View Full Version : upgrading the 97 Jeep Cherokee Sport

greyhair biker
03-03-2006, 09:52 PM
I have been looking at lift kits of various makes and am at a loss as to which one is best or reasonable$ I need articulation AND a fair road ride. I want to put BFG's 33's on it and some skid plates - rearlocker would do nicely too.Anyone have any suggestions? :ne_nau:

shlingdawg
03-04-2006, 09:07 AM
I put a Rusty's 6"er on a late model XJ a couple of years ago. Nice road ride and it had great axle articulation. 33's fit with minor fender trimming.

psl53
03-04-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm happy with my 4.5 super-flex Rubicon Express on my TJ. Great on and off road.
Peter

DickHead
03-05-2006, 06:45 AM
I had a Rusty's on my XJ. Don't cheap out on springs....I went with full springs and man was that a good choice. My flex and articulation kept my four wheels on the ground, negating a real need for a locker for me.

PS, I think the ideal tire size for an XJ is 31x10.5x15

A cheap way to add flex and lift is to replace your rear shackles with those from a mid ninties GMC or Chevy 1/2 ton truck. XJ shackles hang, while the Chebby ones go up. You get about 1/2", but you also add flex. Or, find some lowering shackles for the same truck for another inch or two.