PDA

View Full Version : Powell Boating mishaps

rock_ski_cowboy
03-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Thought I'd cross post this from the Boating section since its about canyoneering and see if I could get the real story out of Scott...

Just to add to that last post: One of the guys I used to work with docked his brand new Xstar in the back of a canyon down by Wahweap. (i think it was in Navajo Canyon somewhere) They hiked up the canyon exploring and it started to pour. In the half hour it took them to wait out the storm and wait for the pour off to subside, the water had come down the canyon and sunk the boat. They returned only to find seat cushions floating on top of the water. Hard lesson learned heh?

I've read a post or two somewhere where Scott P. mentions that he and Mr. Kelsey had a bad experience accessing a Powell slot by boat. Seams like they had a small boat that they left moored at the base of the canyon, and when they returned it was overturned and their gear was floating or sunk. Seems like they suspect it was wake from passing ski boats. Defintiley thing to consider when leaving a boat tied up lakeside though.

Anyone else have bad boat experiences at Powell? What do you do with your boat when the wind blows bad and you want sit comfortably in your tent and not worry about it? What do you do with your boat when you want to go hiking and there's no nice sandy beach to dock on?

I know I saw a bunch of sunken boats being exposed by the low water last year (probably at least 15 in the small section of lake I saw).

Scott P
03-02-2006, 01:59 PM
The story is true. The cause of it was people zooming up and down the Lost Eden Inlet at full speed over and over again. Even while we were trying to pull the boat out of the water, people were still doing it(!). Power boats can make huge waves in small inlets.

Some people have no considerations for others safety. If you are in an inlet, please slow down. There is no reason to go fast before checking if anyone is in there. Some people are idiots.