PDA

View Full Version : Moab area camping

packfish
03-02-2006, 10:11 AM
I am going to be in Moab next week for 5 days. The first 2 days I will be at a bed and breakfast. After that I have a couple of days that if possible I would like to hike in somewhere a few miles and camp for a night or possibly 2. I do have the wife along so I am looking at maybe 5 or 6 miles one way. Anywhere with in 70 miles of Moab that will be more towards the warmer side rather than the cold. Any suggestions ?

shaggy125
03-02-2006, 02:04 PM
I am going to be in Moab next week for 5 days. The first 2 days I will be at a bed and breakfast. After that I have a couple of days that if possible I would like to hike in somewhere a few miles and camp for a night or possibly 2. I do have the wife along so I am looking at maybe 5 or 6 miles one way. Anywhere with in 70 miles of Moab that will be more towards the warmer side rather than the cold. Any suggestions ?

You would probably have to get a walk in permit, but the needles is a perfect place to backpack and you can easily do a 5 - 6 mile trip, extend it to 8 and you can see even more. Might want to call the Canyonlands Visitors Center for more info. I think it's 60 miles from Moab.

packfish
03-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Thank you kindly.

packfish
03-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Snowed pretty much all of the time there. No camping- hiked Arches for 3 days though. Got to see the park covered in snow and water running off everywhere like few get to. Great time, great food and very good beer and wine.

Mtnbiker
03-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Snowed pretty much all of the time there. No camping- hiked Arches for 3 days though. Got to see the park covered in snow and water running off everywhere like few get to.

No pictures? That would be fun to see.

packfish
03-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I do have pictures-I will post once I figure out what I am doing. If it isn't a fly reel I have problems working with it.

rockgremlin
03-19-2006, 08:03 PM
How does the local "Spanish Valley" wines compare to other more popular wines on the market?

I was in a brewery in Moab a few days ago, and some gentleman seated behind me was bitching that his wine tasted like vinegar, and sent it back. :boozer: :puke: :frustrated:

packfish
03-20-2006, 07:40 AM
I really liked the Spanish Valley wines more than the other two that are down there. They sell the wine at about 10 Utah State Liquor stores but not everywhere- I am going in to ask for it to be carried in Logan. They say they don't have to add many chemicals to the wine to get the flavor because the soil has the almost perfect acidity to it in Moab. It seemed like about a 1/3 of the grapes were grown right there and then they bring some in from Colorado along with cherries- they had a surprisingly decent cherry wine. Not that I like that sweet of wine but it surprised me. I liked their whites more than their reds.

rockgremlin
03-20-2006, 01:06 PM
I really liked the Spanish Valley wines more than the other two that are down there. They sell the wine at about 10 Utah State Liquor stores but not everywhere- I am going in to ask for it to be carried in Logan. They say they don't have to add many chemicals to the wine to get the flavor because the soil has the almost perfect acidity to it in Moab. It seemed like about a 1/3 of the grapes were grown right there and then they bring some in from Colorado along with cherries- they had a surprisingly decent cherry wine. Not that I like that sweet of wine but it surprised me. I liked their whites more than their reds.

Interesting.

It's possible that the wine that guy sent back was some out of state wine. I noticed on the menu that in addition to the Spanish Valley wines they also sold others from California and elsewhere. I didn't happen to notice which bottle he sent back.

packfish
03-21-2006, 07:00 AM
Some of the red wines I tried down there I weas not fond of. Could have been one of those. While in the brewery I drank brew as one should.