PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report San Rafael Derrick

Iceaxe
02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
I just added a really cool road side detour to the Climb-Utah.com website.

San Rafael Derrick
http://climb-utah.com/SRS/derrick.htm

:rockon:

Scott P
02-27-2006, 11:40 AM
PS Shane, I know you probably figured this out, but that derrick is by far the quickest route into the best parts of North Fork Iron Wash. Using that route, you can do the best parts of the canyon in only an hour or two. (This still doesn't give away the location of the derrick).

Iceaxe
02-27-2006, 12:54 PM
That is how I found the derrick. :2thumbs:

I noticed this happens a lot..... looking for something cool and find something else you were not expecting.

You can do NF of Iron Wash from the derrick in 3 hours, trailhead to trailhead. I was going to add this to my route description of NF but I'm waiting to see the status of the road. The road to the derrick is the center of a little battle between the SUWA, ATV and BLM guys. It appears some nit-wit doesn't understand that this road should be grand fathered in under RS2477.... :haha: but I've noticed the ATV guys do a good job of keeping the road clear of closed signs.

Scott P
02-27-2006, 03:12 PM
You can do NF of Iron Wash from the derrick in 3 hours, trailhead to trailhead.

My bad. I guess I should start wearing a watch. Haven't in years.

Anyway, it's (the derrick road) still the shortest way in, even if the road did close.

PS, there is another one of these on the east side of the Northern Reef, but a car isn't there. They are probably related.

Iceaxe
02-27-2006, 03:23 PM
I would be interested in knowing what these derricks were used for. :ne_nau:

About 30 yards before reaching the derrick in the picture there is a really deep drill hole. We dropped some pebbles down the hole and its really deep. If anyone has any info or thoughts on this derrick I would love to hear it.

FWIW: NF from the derrick combines really nice with Zero-G for a good day of canyons.

Windwalker
02-27-2006, 08:13 PM
We went to the Swell today and did the Climb-Utah>Weekend Warrior>Hurst Bridge Hike. Great time. On the way out we visited the derrick. I'm wondering why for drilling they used the up and down motion, it looks more like a pumping arm on top. I took a few snap shots of the gear set up because I to have my wonderments about this contraption. If it's a drilling machine there are some parts missing..............Tried to attach a couple shots of it but kept getting shut down. I'll try again if anyone is interested.

Iceaxe
02-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Post your pictures if you can... this contraption interestes me..... I'm thinking it might have been a well to pump water for cattle.

Only thing is we found several drill holes in the immedate area.... so... some less then 100 yards apart....

:ne_nau:

Post pics of Hurst bridge also.... you like that hike? have any problem finding the bridge?

Windwalker
03-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Here are a few of the snapshots we took of the derrick. I'm still of mind to say it's a pump of sorts. I can't see it as a drilling rig. Love these little puzzles, don't you?

Windwalker
03-01-2006, 04:24 AM
Post pics of Hurst bridge also.... you like that hike? have any problem finding the bridge?

I'll get a little T/R done and resize the better of our snap shots. The day after the hike I had a few things to get accomplished and then onto nightshifts. It may take a couple days. Yes, we enjoyed the hike greatly, but did not make it to the Exclamation Bridge. My ole ankles just wouldn't allow it.. :cripple: I felt damn good about making it to Hurst Bridge and back. But I sure paid for it, the next morning I could hardly walk for the first hour.. The secret is to take good care of yourself while you can and then never grow old. "Greyhair Biker" am I right?

rockgremlin
03-05-2006, 11:55 AM
I can guarantee with almost 100% certainty that it has to do with uranium prospecting -- hence the very deep drillholes. The car/winch/pump combo is very interesting and weird.

Hey Shane - were those drillholes drilled with a percussion or rotary drill? Could you tell? The first rotary drill was the Long-Airdox drill, which was put out on the market in 1953. Before that, all drilling was done by percussion drills.

Iceaxe
03-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey Shane - were those drillholes drilled with a percussion or rotary drill? Could you tell?

Wish I had of taken a picture of one of the drill holes. I don't think I would know the differance and I didn't pay much attention to the holes other then to drop some pebbles down.... only reason I was using pebbles was because Sam won't give me his car keys. :haha:

rockgremlin
03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Here's my theory:

If those holes were drilled with rotary drills, then that pump/winch/headframe combo was probably used to pump water. Rotary drills require a lot of water in order to flush the cuttings to the surface, and cool the bit as it drills through rock.

Seeing as how the pump and the drillholes were in the same vicinity, it makes sense that they would be used together. :nod: