PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report the hog system

goofball
02-21-2006, 11:15 AM
hada a blast down south over the weekend. "miss piggy" and hogs 2 & 3. also did hard day harvey. WOW. hdh rocks ! :2thumbs: tough canyon. do not underestimate its difficulty. some challenging downclimbing. make sure at least one person is a well experienced climber/canyoneer or else you could get in serious trouble :ghost: . my opinion...

here are the pics i got from the camcorder thru the hog system.

Mtnbiker
02-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Nice! Looks fun! :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
02-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for finally putting up a trip report for the Lake Powell area. The trip report index was in desparate need of a Powell area canyon.

Tell us a little more about the canyons. How much time required for each canyon? Easily accesible? Longest rappel, and how many raps? Anchors in place already, or is there a need to rig your own? Water obstacles? Swimming and/or wading required?

Do tell!

Iceaxe
02-21-2006, 04:59 PM
:2thumbs:

goofball
02-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Tell us a little more about the canyons. How much time required for each canyon? Easily accesible? Longest rappel, and how many raps? Anchors in place already, or is there a need to rig your own? Water obstacles? Swimming and/or wading required?

Do tell!

hmmmm... i was just along for the ride and don't remember exactly the specs of each canyon. 3 in a day and they all blur together afterwards. and again, i was along for the ride, didn't set up the drops myself, just descended them, so i didn't pay attention to more than my own enjoyment pretty much.

miss piggy was straightforward. 2-3 raps ? last rap dropped into boss hog below its final rap. a little open and pretty short. near 100' longest rap ?

hog 2 was very nice. i THINK a 100' rope will get you thru (doubled), but do not remember. again, pretty straightforward but w/ some dc'ing, especially to start. a good 100' + chute to begin your descent. not bad if you have some skill. the final drop into a nice cave/chamber was neat. i think this was dc'ed by all. fun canyon, nicer than boss hog i thought.

hog 3 was a skill tester for me. all dc's but for the final drop of near 100'. some nerve wracking static moves w/ some exposure for a couple starts down drops. if you have good skill and experience this may be easier for you than me, but one opinion was that it rates a 4 on the aca rating system.

hogs were easy to access either top or bottom (shane has boss hog beta on his site, same th info for all of these). 2-3 hours per canyon descent time ? if anchors are present check them for yourself ! there doesn't mean good all the time. water maybe knee to waist deep if present. dry for us.

hdh shane has up on his site. it had some awkward dc's for me. another skills tester. it was so pretty though ! lots of hard rights and lefts as the canyon cut thru. one 90 degree bend after another. pretty cool. i think it rates as my favorite of all so far.

check out tom's "latest rave" - http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/ for some more info and visuals.

rock_ski_cowboy
02-21-2006, 07:40 PM
hog 2 was very nice. i THINK a 100' rope will get you thru (doubled), but do not remember. again, pretty straightforward but w/ some dc'ing, especially to start. a good 100' + chute to begin your descent. not bad if you have some skill. the final drop into a nice cave/chamber was neat. i think this was dc'ed by all. fun canyon, nicer than boss hog i thought.

I distinctly remember using 200' of rope on the first drop of this canyon. It is possible you entered the canyon or defeated the first drop differently than we did.

shaggy125
02-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Here is beta on Hog 1,2 & 3

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0512freeze/index4a.htm

Scroll to the bottom for a map. I've done 1 & 2 but not 3 yet. We looked down into it from the top and it looked pretty short, but sounds like it's worth doing from the recent trips down. Hard Day Harvey is really good, this was the one we called "My Fault" in the video I posted a while ago (you can see now why we called them My Fault and Your Fault, there are so many fault line canyons causing those 90 degree turns it's pretty nuts, never seen that many in a canyon before). If you are in the area you should do Good Day Jim too, it's not quite as challenging as HDH, but it's really good still. Totally different character not nearly as narrow, easier downclimbs and one fun keeper pothole.

Eric.

Link to HDH and GDJ for anyone wanting to watch it again.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1503247507224214147

RAM
02-22-2006, 05:18 AM
I distinctly remember using 200' of rope on the first drop of this canyon. It is possible you entered the canyon or defeated the first drop differently than we did.

Ben...the deal. You continued down a series of open small potholes in an open area and then rapped into, as described above. What Jason did with us is rather than dropping in to the station, climb up and left 30 feet and work your way into the over (some class 5-a bit of exposure) and then into the steep corner Jason described. One awkward chockstone, easier than it looks is the crux. This steep dropper is exposed and a lot of fun.
Ram :nod: