PDA

View Full Version : What's your pet peeve?

Iceaxe
02-21-2006, 07:33 AM
What's your pet peeve?

I get really annoyed with people who can't drive, which is about half the drivers on the road. Knowing and understanding the drivers handbook should be a minimum requirement for a drivers licence.

:popcorn:

david staub
02-21-2006, 07:36 AM
three things about Utah drivers drive me crazy; 1. not using turn signals to make a turn or change lanes, 2. treating a two way stop like a four way stop (thinking that you can turn left in front of someone because you got to the stop sign first), and 3. changing lanes in an intersection. All three are illegal but people do it all the time. Drives me crazy!

Iceaxe
02-21-2006, 07:53 AM
To your poor drivers list how about we add:

Rolling through stop signs.
Cruising in the fast lane.
Speeding up when you attempt to pass.
Swinging into the left lane on a right hand turn.
Not allowing you to change lanes when you signal.
Applying make-up while driving.
Talking on a cell phone while driving.

And this is not just a Utah thing.... I've driven in many states and they are all just as bad.

eclipsee_steering

david staub
02-21-2006, 08:28 AM
As much as we (and by we, I mean me) complain about Utah drivers, you are right. Boston drivers are awful and Michigan drivers scare the heck out of me. Unfortunately, when I go back to Michigan I remember my driving roots. I go 65 right on the rear end of the car in front of me.

Have you ever seen a Boston right turn signal? They roll down the driver's window and point over the roof. I never believed that when friends would talk about driving in Boston until I was there on business and saw it for myself.

icthys
02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Toilet paper has got to go up over the top.
Replace the damn roll if you use all of it.
Turn off the water if you aren't using it.
Put my stuff back where you found it.
PEOPLE WHO ARE LATE, I can't stand waiting for someone.
My empty glass at a restaurant.

I think I could go on and on.

donny h
02-21-2006, 10:52 AM
Litter in the back country.

I get so mad at the crap people throw on the ground, nothing worse than finding a beautiful camping spot only to realize it's coated in broken glass, batteries in the fire ring, fish hooks and line, and is decorated with feces piles and my number one nemesis, the dirty diaper.

One time, I was picking up litter around the edge of a large (20+) group of picnickers, and I watched a lady float a freshly dirtied diaper down a creek, so I recovered the sopping diaper and dropped it in the middle of her blanket, in the middle of their picnic, and announced "You dropped this in the river, so I am returning it to you".

I almost started a shooting war with that one.

david staub
02-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Donny- I applaud that one. I hope she thinks twice, three time, four times, etc. before doing that one again. Way to go!

derstuka
02-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Those little freakin' ketchup packets....I mean, who in the hell only uses one? Maybe 1% of the population. Why do they have to be so DAMN small??? I need 10 of them just for my fries! Not to mention, they are sometimes hard to open as well!

TreeHugger
02-21-2006, 11:56 AM
I hate driver's who feel it's ok to go 60 (or more) on Wasatch when there is a freakin' highway a stone's throw away. It's dangerous.

I hate when waiters keep filling my water glass! Please wait til its nearly empty then refill it.

david staub
02-21-2006, 11:58 AM
I hate waiting to get on a machine at the gym while someone is sitting there talking on a cell phone

LJ
02-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Pretty much all of my pet peeves fall into one category - Laziness. I just don't understand people who just through their own laziness expect others to deal with their (non) actions.

Whether it is able bodied folks littering, not using turn signals, not putting away grocery carts, not replacing something they used the last of, not spending some time each week to clean up their lawns, etc, etc, etc it angers me!

:frustrated:

fourtycal
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Fun Haters!

Those people that do not like anything fun and do there best to keep those around them from having fun. :?

savanna3313
02-21-2006, 12:28 PM
I hate driver's who feel it's ok to go 60 (or more) on Wasatch when there is a freakin' highway a stone's throw away. It's dangerous

I see a lot of those 60 mph (or more) drivers pulled over when they reach the "hide out" area for the Sandy police. :lol8: I have to add here that it's irritating to be out sight-seeing on the Alpine loop or wherever (speed limits are like 15 mph!) and someone gets on your bumper, or comes flying around a sharp curve doing 60. I mean, it's not like you're driving on a thoroughfare somewhere. If people are in a hurry to get somewhere, the Alpine Loop is not the road to use.

So, I have to agree that drivers here are not only frustrating, they are also rude a lot of the time. They even look at you funny when you are courteous to them in traffic (i.e.) letting someone merge ahead of you or such. :eek2:

cachehiker
02-21-2006, 12:40 PM
people driving 3/4 ton 4x4's as though they have no less than 18 wheels. if i can learn to make sharp turns in a loaded 3 ton flatbed so can they.

people who can't keep track of the oncoming traffic and the left turn light at the same time. you know, when it's red for 10 seconds before they finally realize why everybody else has come to a stop.

loud people. lazy people. those proud of their ignorance. those whose needs and wants are determined by the marketing. people who complain about never getting out and having any fun but won't go out and do anything either.

accadacca
02-21-2006, 12:45 PM
People that drive diesel pickups just for the noise. I mean some guys have their wives drive them and they don't even have a hitch mounted. Nothing wrong with owning one if you NEED it for towing or something. But just to run to the store for a gallon of milk or a commuter is absurd. :lame:

rock_ski_cowboy
02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
3. changing lanes in an intersection. All three are illegal but people do it all the time.

I grew up with the idea that this was illegal, but was recently told by someone who was told by a cop (yeah, I know it sounds fishy), that it isn't illegal after all to change lanes in an intersection in Utah. I haven't verified this, seems like windwalker would know since he is of that profession... Wind?

Udink
02-21-2006, 01:34 PM
I grew up with the idea that this was illegal, but was recently told by someone who was told by a cop (yeah, I know it sounds fishy), that it isn't illegal after all to change lanes in an intersection in Utah. I haven't verified this, seems like windwalker would know since he is of that profession... Wind?
I just search through the Utah Code (http://www.le.state.ut.us/Documents/code_const.htm) and couldn't find a single mention of changing lanes at an intersection, but I'm certain I learned that it's illegal in my driver's education class (about 13 years ago).

Edit: The Utah Driver Handbook (http://driverlicense.utah.gov/pdf/dlhandbk.pdf), on page 29 of the PDF, states "Do not pass or change lanes when approaching within 100 feet of crossing an intersection." Of course, that doesn't mean it's law...

dbessee
02-21-2006, 02:12 PM
- Tailgaters on the 11% grade coming down I-70 into Denver
- Tailgaters anywhere
- People doing work on the laptop while trying to drive the car (yes, I've seen it, today in fact!)
- Lack of consideration. I see more of it in "adults" than kids too.
- Have to second the trail litter one. Rarely do a hike where I don't pack out more than I packed in.

That's a start. I could go on...

Iceaxe
02-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I also hate people that force me to tailgate..... get out of the freakin' way!!!! Drive in the slow lane with all the other retards.

Roads are NOT for sight-seeing, they are for drivin' on.

Them ain't turn signals..... them thar is challenge lights.....

I hate women that tell me NO because then I have to force myself onto them. Dammit just say YES, it will be easier for both of us. :roflol:

:popcorn:

greyhair biker
02-21-2006, 03:29 PM
I hate stupid M&%#$F&^%$# people - & people that can't make a decision...SOMEONE give me a hammer! :frustrated:

rockgremlin
02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I hate it when people whine about stupid little stuff (like other drivers, traffic laws, toilet paper rolls, etc, etc, etc.) :fakelaugh: :fakelaugh:

Iceaxe
02-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey Udink.... where did you get that awesome avatar? :2thumbs:

LJ
02-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey Udink.... where did you get that awesome avatar? :2thumbs:

See what you have done?! Now everyone will have some stupid helmet and speedo guy.

Iceaxe
02-21-2006, 05:20 PM
See what you have done?! Now everyone will have some stupid helmet and speedo guy.

There's a fine line between clever and stupid :lol8:

LJ
02-21-2006, 05:35 PM

Yes, there is and by golly if I could think of something clever right now I would but it's been a bad/long day. Give me a few and I'll think of something.

Which brings me to my second pet peeve, when I can only think of stupid comebacks and not clever ones! :ne_nau:

rockgremlin
02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Here's one:

The term "African-American." I hate that!!

I'm Caucasian....why not call me "European American?"

In fact, from now on, I'll be supremely offended if anyone refers to me as "white," or "Caucasian." I AM EUROPEAN-AMERICAN!!!

Iceaxe
02-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Which brings me to my second pet peeve, when I can only think of stupid comebacks and not clever ones!

Some of us are born clever and some of us are born good-looking.....

......lucky me, I was born both :2thumbs:

LJ
02-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Which brings me to my second pet peeve, when I can only think of stupid comebacks and not clever ones!

Some of us are born clever and some of us are born good-looking.....

......lucky me, I was born both :2thumbs:

:roll:

greyhair biker
02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I was trained - oops, brought up to be tolerant of people but as I get older I am less patient I guess - go figure...that's where my peeve comes from :haha:

Iceaxe
02-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Here's one......

Outsourced customer support people you can't understand.

LJ
02-21-2006, 08:21 PM

Yes, there is and by golly if I could think of something clever right now I would but it's been a bad/long day. Give me a few and I'll think of something.

Which brings me to my second pet peeve, when I can only think of stupid comebacks and not clever ones! :ne_nau:

OK - I give even after some Captain and Diet I have nothing. Tomorrow is a new day.

live2ride
02-21-2006, 09:14 PM
3.2% beer!!!!

Iceaxe
02-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Policies against drinking alcohol during work hours--what's wrong with a little liquid lunch every once in a while?

Oh yeah.... and liqueur stores that are not open 24/7.

derstuka
02-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Oh, and as I have mentioned probably 100 times on this website....I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate people who don't take responsibility for their own (dumbass) actions! UGH!!! :frustrated:

People that are in their own world talking on their cell phone (many people are incapable of driving and talking on a cell) while driving 85 mph cutting across 4 lanes 50 yards before their exit, and not using their turn signals. I see this each day, a person is in the fast (far left) lane and waits until about 50 yards before their exit and they cut across three lanes of traffic, which in-turn causes everyone to jam hard on their brakes, and potentially cause accidents. This brings up another major annoyance of people who do not use their turn signals...like it will break their arm to hit that little blinker switch each time they turn.

Iceaxe
02-22-2006, 08:32 AM
People that are in their own world talking on their cell phone

Speaking of stupied people and cell phones...... I forgot about this one until it happened again yesterday.....

I was in a public restroom and some clown is sitting on the pot, taking a crap, while yakking loudly on his cell phone..... it was a business call :ne_nau:

pleeeeezzzzeeee.....

Shan
02-22-2006, 08:42 AM
people who bike around town with their bike seats WAY too low. You see a 6 foot tall college guy riding a little Walmart bike and he's hitting his knees on the handlebars.

I hate that.

Also, stupid college girls who drive and talk on their cell phones. I've had the most near misses on my bike with these moronic idiots.

"Hee Hee, like OMG, like I almost killed you! Sooooorrrreeeeee!"

savanna3313
02-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Policies against drinking alcohol during work hours--what's wrong with a little liquid lunch every once in a while?

This is actually the "norm" in New Orleans. Liquid lunches turn into happy hour, because a lot of places do 2 for 1s at lunch. :friday: ahhh...the good old days...

derstuka
02-22-2006, 10:32 AM
People that are in their own world talking on their cell phone

Speaking of stupied people and cell phones...... I forgot about this one until it happened again yesterday.....

I was in a public restroom and some clown is sitting on the pot, taking a crap, while yakking loudly on his cell phone..... it was a business call :ne_nau:

pleeeeezzzzeeee.....

The thing that gets me about people who so rudely(or inappropriately) talk in such places as a restroom, theater, or church, is that they TALK THIS LOUD SO THAT EVERYBODY CAN HEAR THEIR CONVERSATION!!! :frustrated: It's like they are either starving for attention, or they think that their life is so important and interesting that everybody wants to hear about it, or they are just an ass-clown looking to piss people off. Hell, I know if I have a call that I HAVE to take in one of those places, I will walk outside and call them back. I guess that is too much to ask for some people.

Sombeech
02-22-2006, 01:48 PM
people that slow down for red lights.

LJ
02-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Everything to do with going to the doctor's office from the too small parking spaces to the smell of the place to the wait to the sickly people everywhere to dealing with insurance to the lab tech who won't tell you what they are seeing to the stupid robes to the lighting to the crappy magazines....I'm never going back.

rockgremlin
02-22-2006, 07:26 PM
people that slow down for red lights.

Funny. My pet peeve is people that SPEED UP for red lights!

Sombeech
02-22-2006, 10:41 PM
What's your pet peeve?

I don't have any pets.

basilone0331
02-23-2006, 01:07 AM
For me it's when the light changes to green for you and you have to wait for 3 cars turning left to run the light before you can go.

greyhair biker
02-23-2006, 09:53 PM
I still, after living in Wyoming for many years, can't get used to 'drivein liquor stores'! - 'no officer, I'm taking these home to drink..I never drunk drive occifer' :friday: BUT, it's not just the weekend, it's every friggin' day!

My 'pets'are all wild animals :lol8: I have a herd of 14 deer living near home that think they can graze in my front yard every night :roll:

Sombeech
02-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Slow forum.

stefan
02-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Well, i am surprised this one wasn't mentioned (maybe i missed it),

CAMPING OUT IN THE LEFT LANE!!!!!! :frustrated:

the left lane is only for passing unless there is traffic. furthermore it's utah state law that if you are in the left lane and someone approaches you from behind, you must move, EVEN IF they are speeding!

i think this by far annoys me the most.

oh yeah, the other thing is driving through inexplicable traffic in utah valley when trying to get down south.

oh yeah, and how it seems to take for ever to drive through downtown salt lake city, even though the roads are extremely wide and there is hardly any traffic when compared to any big city.

oh, well maybe little cottonwood closures on a powder day

and the list goes on and on....

stefan

david staub
03-01-2006, 01:41 PM
how about websites that don't automatically send replies

mattl
03-14-2006, 08:39 AM
People that smoke is a big pet peeve.

Coming from an exsmoker of about 13 years and it still bugs me when i smell it.

But probably the biggest is when you go to a stop light and when some one puts the cig butt out the window and its still burning. At times i would love to be a cop.

Sombeech
03-14-2006, 04:49 PM
how about websites that don't automatically send replies

To replied topics? Hopefully you're not having problems here. There's a setting you can turn on and off if somebody replies to your topic. I actually think it would be better to leave it "ON" by default.

People that smoke is a big pet peeve.

Yeah, it's getting annoying. I've considered passing some gas in the presence of somebody smoking. My fumes would be just a little less harmful though.

david staub
03-15-2006, 07:11 AM
no, it was me.

DirkHammergate
03-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Locking harmless threads on a public message board, that's my pet peeve.

Sombeech
03-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Locking harmless threads on a public message board, that's my pet peeve.

And we'll allow you to have that pet peeve. :haha:

Also see This Thread (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2057)

Iceaxe
03-15-2006, 10:26 AM
I don't like moderators....

http://uutah.com/forum/files/youve-been-moderated.jpg

Sombeech
03-15-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't like moderators....

http://uutah.com/forum/files/youve-been-moderated.jpg

You must be THIS TALL to post on this forum.

Udink
03-15-2006, 10:40 AM
You must be THIS TALL to post on this forum.
:roflol:

Sombeech
03-30-2006, 08:07 PM
another pet peeve--- the misuse of the word "ignorant".

Usually, it's ignorant people who misuse it, such as "I didn't like the way he was acting, he was being ignorant". Actually meaning he was being "arrogant".

The ignorant misuse of ignorant. Blessed irony. :roll: