PDA

View Full Version : Compact Handgun

Reedus
02-21-2006, 07:29 AM
I was in to Cabela's the other day and fell in love with the Glock 27. It is a tiny .40 caliber handgun, but I am not sure of the reputation of Glocks. Anybody have any comments on the brand or have a favorite?

Reed

Udink
02-21-2006, 08:02 AM
I love the Glock 27 as well, though I've never fired one. I currently own a Kel-Tec P11 9mm, but after carrying such a small handgun for so long, I think I'd really rather have something a little bigger, like the Glock 23. Right after I got my CFP, I was worried about people noticing my concealed firearm, but after a couple of years I've realized that it's no big deal, and I could easily go bigger without worrying about printing. The majority of people just aren't that observant.

I've also heard good things about the Springfield XD series. I recently asked some people on a local firearms message board for recommendations, and basically all I heard was to get either a Glock or a Springfield XD40.

jumar
02-21-2006, 10:48 AM
I carry a Kahr 9mm. I like it because it's got a nice narrow profile, and is pretty light. Not a lot of stuff on the sides of it that can catch when pulling.

But Glocks have a great reputation. Can't go wrong with a Glock. :2thumbs:

fourtycal
02-21-2006, 12:53 PM
I have had a Glock 27 for just over six years. Before the glock I had a Kel-tec P11 that I sold to buy the Glock. It has been well used, shooting thousands of rounds without a misfire or jam (including tons of re-loads). I use a finger extender on the bottom of the magazines for plinking or target practice and regular magazines for concealed carry. It is a great gun. It gets two thumbs up from me. :2thumbs:

psl53
02-21-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm not a Glock fan, but everyone that I know that has one likes them. I like the Beretta Mini Cougar. I have a 40 and 45. It's a nice weapon.
Peter

Glockguy
02-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Glocks are AWESOME They are the most reliable pstols on the market today. I recently bought a G19 for sd (and fun) I have put over 1500 rounds through it and have not had one misfire or malfuncion.

Glock are also very simple to field strip and take care of. I would like to point you toward some great forums on Glocks. There you can do searches and figure out what you want. It is glocktalk.com. There is also a podcast that talks about Glocks and firearms in general called guncast.

I like the G19 because it is compact and the ammo for a 9mm is WAY cheaper. It also packs a punch and is able to carry 16 rounds (or 33 if you want the BIG magazine)

If you have any other questions or would like to meet me at the range sometime for a test drive let me know!

basilone0331
02-23-2006, 01:49 AM
I have a Springfield XD in 40 and am very pleased. I have only had it for about 4 months and have put about 500 rounds through it with out any problems. I have the full size pistol but this may be helpful if your interested in a XD http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/xd_0722/

donny h
02-26-2006, 06:47 PM
How tiny is tiny?

1 7/8" barrel, 13 ounces loaded with five rounds

donny h
02-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I like that Sprieldfield XD, I want to check out their sub-compact .45acp 7-shot with a 3" barrel, oh so concealable.

shagster
04-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I own both a Kahr 9mm and a Springfield XD 40 in the 4inch model and I love them both. My primary carry weapon is the Kahr because of it's sleek design. It is very compact, lightweight, has nothing to snag on and it is very comfortable to wear. On the other hand the Springfield XD 40 4in model is also a very nice carry gun. It has a slightly bigger frame than the Kahr but it is a very comfortable gun and shoots awesome. You can't go wrong with either one. Both guns have had over 1000 rounds put through them with not a single jam. The main thing is comfort, what ever gun feels the most comfortable to you. I did not like the glocks for that one reason they were not comfortable for me. Make sure that you have a chance to fire the gun before purchasing it. Some guns might feel great while handling them, but after shooting them you may change your mind. If you are in the Ogden area Impact guns is a great place to try one out and get a feel for the right match.

Mtnman1830
04-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I have the Glock 22, which is the .40 in the regular size. I have never had any problems with it.

With the subcompact Glocks, you can get an extention that goes on the bottom of the magazine. The only thing is with the extention, it makes it nearly as big as the compact.

But anyway, the Glocks are easy to field strip, and requires no tools to do that.

BrokenHorn
04-01-2006, 04:50 PM
While I wouldn't consider the G30 a compact gun I do love mine. It shoots very accuratly with not much recoil.
I too felt like everyone could see when I was carrying. I now realize that nobody pays any attention. I even forget that I am carrying at times and bend over to look at things on the bottom shelf or reach up high trying to get things down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/BrokenHorn/Hunting/Glocking/Prepairing.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/BrokenHorn/Hunting/Glocking/OneHole.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/BrokenHorn/Hunting/Glocking/132ed235.jpg

I am looking for somthing real small. I do like the NAA 380 Guardian but after shooting a glock I hate the triggers on most other handguns. So the search continues...

live2ride
04-01-2006, 07:50 PM
I have the Glock 30, got it for a great deal and love it, I take it biking with me and it small enough but still large enough to pack a good punch. I have only shot a handfull of times and need to get out and shoot it more. Where are some good places to go and shoot? Preferably outdoors and legal.

jumar
04-03-2006, 08:10 AM
I used a Glock .40 while at Frontsite, and I'm hooked now. i'll likely still carry my Khar 9mm for concealment, since it's thin and light. But for fun shooting, I'm totally converted to the Glock. I'm goign to get my wife a glock to carry too.

DickHead
04-03-2006, 08:25 AM
I've always had good experiences with Glocks. That said, I don't own one. My day-to-day carry gun is a Taurus PT145. Its about the size of a glock 30. 10+1 of .45ACP can ruin any ill-intent's day.
I'm hoping to aquire a Ruger SP101 3 1/16" in .357mag. I want it for an outdoors gun, and might carry it day-to-day instead. If that happens, I'll likely sell the Taurus and get a service pistol, maybe the new Springfield XD45.....

am looking for somthing real small. I do like the NAA 380 Guardian but after shooting a glock I hate the triggers on most other handguns. So the search continues...

Have you looked at Kel-tec? I've shot the .380 and liked it. Considering purchasing one I've just been to busy to go looking for one.

RugerShooter
04-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I have a 9mm Ruger P94DC, It is a very good shooting gun and not to large of one

DickHead
04-06-2006, 06:12 PM
:roflol:
The Ruger is a great gun, but it's like shooting a shoebox. That is a service pistol sized auto, my friend.

BrokenHorn
04-07-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't know who carries Keltec. Sportsman's doesn't. I did shoot a Bursa 380 the other day. That is a sweet shooting gun. Only 260.00 bucks too. But it is a full sized gun and I'm looking more for a pocket type gun.

Udink
04-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I don't know who carries Keltec. Sportsman's doesn't. I did shoot a Bursa 380 the other day. That is a sweet shooting gun. Only 260.00 bucks too. But it is a full sized gun and I'm looking more for a pocket type gun.
I would think that Sportsman's Warehouse would be able to order anything you requested. The crappy local gun shop here in Price didn't have any Kel-Tecs in stock, but I ordered one, and they ended up putting in for a couple more to keep in stock after that.

BrokenHorn
04-08-2006, 08:19 AM
That may be true, but I will not buy something like that unsight unseen.

DickHead
04-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Doug's Shithead Sports carries it for sure.
Impact Guns in Ogden probably does, not sure if thier new (formerly Totally Awesome) location in Taylorsville does.

shagster
04-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Impact guns in Ogden carries the Kel-tec guns in stock, check them out on-line at www.impactguns.com. You can also make an order over the Internet through their store if you are not located locally. They are really good to work with and know their stuff. Hope this helps.

jarhead79
09-01-2006, 08:21 PM
The Glock 27 is a sweet gun. All Glocks are to be correct.

The Bersa is also very sweet, as was mentioned. Everyone who hasn't shot one, needs to, very soon. It's an experience to be had.

Bersa: Thin, easy to conceal in IWB. VERY dependable.

Glock 27: A little thick. Short grip makes concealment easy as well, but a little thick.

Kel Tec P3AT: True pocket gun. Hit and miss on quality. Fluff and Buff usually fixes it, if not, there's always a warranty.

Tyler
11-05-2006, 11:24 PM
I own the Glock 23 which is the compact model. I love this gun. My dad has the Springfield XD and he wishes he would have gotten the glock as well.

DickHead
11-06-2006, 06:06 AM
Update:
I'm the new proud owner of a keltec P3AT in .380
It's around the size of a Beretta Tomcat. It's itty bitty. It's what comes to mind when we talk about cmpact concealed carry.
10 ounces loaded.
I got it from Impact Guns south location (formerly Totally awesome guns) and it cost $249 for the OD green lower.
http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at.html

RedMan
11-06-2006, 06:52 PM
I have a Glock 26. 9mm version of the 27. It is my CC.
I have added a Scherer mag extender that gives me 2 more rounds but more importantly adds significant control.

I highly recommend the Scherer slug plug as well.

It is the best pistol I have owned next to my Kimber .45 Tac II.

basilone0331
11-07-2006, 09:37 AM
As soon as my permit comes in the mail I'm going out and buying the XD 40 sub compact, maybe with a laser guide rod.

DickHead
11-07-2006, 10:00 AM
In 60 days I'll be working for an employer that allows open carry
:2thumbs:
My wife....
:roflol:

basilone0331
02-03-2007, 01:59 PM
I finally went out and bought a XD 45 compact. The only difference from a XD 45 service(4in barrel) and this is that they cut an inch off of the magazine well. You can also buy the 45 compact with a 5 inch barrel. It came with a 10 rd mag, 13 rd mag, holster, cable lock, 2 mag pouch,and a speed loader for $512.99 at Impact Guns.

Tyler
02-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I have a Glock 23 and love it. I shot the springfield XD and the glock felt better to me. I guess it is just a matter of opinion. I don't think that you will have any complaints.

JP
02-04-2007, 05:34 AM
I am not sure of the reputation of Glocks
Where have you been in the world lately :haha: There is no gun that hit this soil that was bashed and in which everybody set out to make it fail. What the critics did, was prove that Glock is one of the best group of combat pistols ever made. No other gun had tests like this one had done to it, all due to its polymer frame.

I have the 27 and would recommend it without question. My only suggestion is to get the one shot extension mag to make the gun more comfortable in your hand. It just makes it fit better in the hand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/P1010005-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/P1010006-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/P1010007-2.jpg