PDA

View Full Version : In need of some expert advice

tatwood
02-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Alright guys, I need some pointers. I just got done watching Iceaxe

FOX
02-19-2006, 07:35 PM
I would suggest getting involved with the ACA and coming to the monthly meetings for the Wasatch chapter. That's a great way to meet other canyoneers, get skills training and learn about upcoming trips. The ACA also offer excellent technical canyoneering classes designed for the beginner on up.

For me, the way that I learned this was to get out as much as I could, as often as I could. I went with friends who were much more experienced than I was. They taught me the technical side of canyoneering but it took me several trips before I felt confident enough to go without them and do it on my own.

Many of the people here at UUTAH, myself included, are willing to take Noobs with them if the trips and space allow for it. Watch for the postings and throw your hat in the ring. I love to introduce newcomers to the beauties of the slot canyon.

shaggy125
02-20-2006, 10:20 AM
I second Kyrells suggestion to come to the ACA Meetings. We are having one this Thursday at the REI on 33rd @ 7:00. It is the perfect time to start coming, they are going to be starting the first of a few basic skills days teaching you the basics. One of the reasons for the skills meetings are to allow beginners to feel comfortable about going on the ACA sponsored trip in March. Come Thursday and introduce yourself to as many people as you can, you'll find lots of skilled guys willing to take you out and show you the ropes.

Eric.

Iceaxe
02-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Is there a calender or email list associated with the Salt Lake ACA meetings..... in other words.... how are folks supposed to know when and where the meetings are? Last I heard the ACA Chapters all set their own rules, so what is required to attend the meetings? Any cost or other requirements? Any way to find out what is scheduled for each meeting?

If nothing else one of you ACA guys might want to post a heads up a couple of days before each meeting as a public service to this forum.

FOX
02-20-2006, 01:49 PM
As of the last meeting, we were told that future dates would be posted on the calendar at the ACA site as well as any other pertinent info.

Tom also told us that they would be flexible on membership dues for a bit as there were many non-members at last months meeting. The annual dues are only $15 however and I know they would appreciate people signing up officially so that the freebie thing doesn't get abused.

Eric has been posting ACA meetings on the calendar here and he threw out the invite last month. I'll also be happy to post upcoming events if necessary.

For those who don't know, the ACA's official site is at www.canyoneering.net.

shaggy125
02-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Tom also just set up a yahoo group for the Wasatch Chapter. It is set up a lot like his tom fest group, he has set up a database for signing up for the upcoming north wash trip and has posted info on the meetings. Here is the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/acawasatchchapter/

Iceaxe
02-20-2006, 08:33 PM
The annual dues are only $15

Is this the same $15 required to join the National Organization or is this in addition to the national organization or is this instead of the national organization or ???

I visited the National ACA website looking for info, that thing is basically worthless when it comes to the Wasatch Chapter...... the last message is almost a month old, the previous message before that was from me and is over a month old.

Anyhoo.... what's on the menu for Thrusday night and who is giving the instruction?

:popcorn:

shaggy125
02-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Is this the same $15 required to join the National Organization or is this in addition to the national organization or is this instead of the national organization or ???

Anyhoo.... what's on the menu for Thrusday night and who is giving the instruction?

:popcorn:

As I understand it $15 gets you into both. Here's a quote from the group (which you are now a member of by the way) about whats on the menu Thursday:

We will be having a Meeting on Thursday, Feb 23rd, 7 PM, the REI
Wasatch Room.

This will be a Skills Workshop Meeting. Membership in the ACA is
required for this meeting. (It is only 15$ a year, bring a check made
out to "ACA").

We will work on canyoneering skills that we can do without a
rappelling wall. Lots of knot tying, things like that. Through the
course of 3 or 4 skills sessions, and possibly a weekend workshop,
beginners should be able to complete the skills of ACA course I, thus
being deemed a "trained beginner".

ONE part of this skills workshop will be a North Wash Trip Gear
shakeout. Guess I should get a gear list together for this!

See you there.

Tom Jones

tatwood
02-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys. :2thumbs: I think I

shaggy125
02-22-2006, 05:03 PM
[quote=tatwood]Thanks for the info guys. :2thumbs: I think I