PDA

View Full Version : Survivorman

basilone0331
02-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Anyone watch survivorman? I have watched a few episodes of the show, it is about a guy who goes in various back country environments and must "survive" for a week using only what he has on him. I think he could be giving some people dangerous ideas. An example, last night he walked into a lake to get some plants to cook the roots. This is in a forest in northern Canada in fall. Later as he is travelling cross country in the general direction of a known highway, he just walks through rivers with out trying to stay dry. I just think someone watching this that doesn't have much outdoors experience could make some dangerous/fatal mistakes doing what they saw on "the survival show". What do you guys think?

donny h
02-12-2006, 01:07 AM
I've been watching it, I want to like it, but some stuff does seem odd about the show. I read it is a one hour show on Discovery Science, and it's cut to a half hour for the regular Discovery channel, I bet a lot is lost in the cutting.

When he went into that lake in Canada, he got totally soaked going after that lily root in deep water, after wading right by some in shallower water.

Last night he was in the Sonoma Desert, and he found a convenient creek FIVE miles from his put in spot. Lucky guy. I wonder what percentage of that desert is within five miles of a water source?

When he was in the fake plane crash, he consumed a rabbit whole. I thought that was interesting, I've read the successful northern explorers mimiced the Intuit who cooked and ate rabbits whole, but Survivor man ate the ENTIRE animal, bones, eyeballs, brains and all.

As far as people who get into danger because of something they watched on tv, it's just Darwinism at work, these days i call it 'jackass syndrome'.

I do wish we could see the full hour show.

derstuka
02-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I think he could be giving some people dangerous ideas. I just think someone watching this that doesn't have much outdoors experience could make some dangerous/fatal mistakes doing what they saw on "the survival show". What do you guys think?

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. Everyday, everywhere you turn someone is doing something which may be dangerous to someone else, depending on their skill. Mtn biking, hiking, running, rockclimbing, skateboarding, surfing, the commercials you see on TV with dirtbikes doing flips, etc, etc.... That is where this thing comes into play called a "brain" and should be used accordingly. If a person sees someone gap a road with a mtn bike on TV and you think that you can try it without the appropriate skill-set, then that person is very unwise, and should face the consquences of their actions. If I do it, and I get hurt, it is my fault, and only my fault. I am not going to try and sue the Redbull Rampage because I was trying to duplicate stunts which I saw on TV. That is totally and utterly :lame:

This totally goes back to my point awhile back about people these days not wanting to take responsibility for their actions. They want to try something (maybe risky, maybe not) and if they get hurt, they will simply get a lawyer and try to blame/sue someone else for their actions. IMO, this is one of the major problems with our society today. It causes many more unnecessary laws, restrictions, and land closures. So many people cannot even wipe their own ass, or fess up and say "gee, it was my dumbass who tried it, and seeing how nobody put a gun to my head, it is TOTALLY, and absolutely my fault entirely!" Unfortunately, that is much too hard for many people, considering all the ridiculous lawsuits these days. How unresponsible people can be for their own actions frustrates me immensely.

basilone0331
02-12-2006, 08:39 PM
That is where this thing comes into play called a "brain" and should be used accordingly. If a person sees someone gap a road with a mtn bike on TV and you think that you can try it without the appropriate skill-set, then that person is very unwise, and should face the consquences of their actions. If I do it, and I get hurt, it is my fault, and only my fault.
I agree completely about this and if someone freezes to death in the mountains trying to eat water lillies in november they have no one to blame but their own dumbass. :cold: The last thing I'm doing is defending stupid acts but I think the guy on the show is doing some stupid things himself.