PDA

View Full Version : Naming a new canyon

Iceaxe
02-09-2006, 08:02 PM
If you had the opportunity to name a real cool canyon, what would you name it?

What would you base your name on?

Would you just stick with some dumbass description like "Mile Marker 27.4 Canyon"? :lame:

Would you leave it unnamed? I always figured the best way to keep a canyon secret was to not give it a name and then you couldn't talk about it cause it wouldn't have a name.

How about naming it after a female body part.... :naughty:

or the crazy chick you dated in high school? :getiton:

Maybe after your favorite drink :friday:

In the past I've usually named canyons after an experience that happened in the canyon, but since Benny already stole "Brokeback Canyon" after his last experience I'm kinda shying away from that trend. :haha:

Just curious, cause if all goes well this weekend we'll do a couple of canyons that have never been named and to tell ya the true I have pretty much used up all the cool names I can think of..... so maybe the best way to name one of these is to let the members of uutah.com come up with a name..........

Game on!!!

:popcorn:

dbessee
02-10-2006, 01:55 PM
How about the nastiest explitive you used on the way down?

neumannbruce
02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
How about:

Titass, Betsy, Heathen, Buttmunch, Storm, Thunder or Qwest

Off the top of my head................
Bruce

savanna3313
02-10-2006, 02:17 PM
If you had the opportunity to name a real cool canyon, what would you name it? How about naming it after a female body part.... :naughty: Game on!!! :popcorn:

Yeah, sure........Clitoris Canyon has a nice ring to it :roll:

Geez.........

Why not a MALE body part ??? :ne_nau:

:haha:

Scott P
02-10-2006, 02:18 PM
What would you base your name on?

Usually after a natural feature of the canyon. Sometimes after an event that happened in the canyon, but only if something unusual occured. Sometimes in a practical sense such as C-1, C-2, C-3, etc., or maybe North Fork" of (previously named canyon)

Would you just stick with some dumbass description like "Mile Marker 27.4 Canyon"?

No, because Mile Markers along the highway are not natural features. Of course I hate the name of Mind Bender/Not Mind Bender as well. North Middle Fork is dumb because it is too long. Both guidebook authors should have named it "Great Alcove Fork". Of course, even if lame, I am for using the first published or first known local name. (Great Alcove was actually first).

Would you leave it unnamed?

Sometimes. If I put it on a website or something, I usually tag a name to it.

or the crazy chick you dated in high school?

I don't think so.

Maybe after your favorite drink

Orange Juice Canyon?

Just curious, cause if all goes well this weekend we'll do a couple of canyons that have never been named and to tell ya the true I have pretty much used up all the cool names I can think of..... so maybe the best way to name one of these is to let the members of uutah.com come up with a name..........

They could have a name already. Otherwise I would choose a natural feature, unless something unusual happens.

How about naming it after a female body part....

Better than a male part. What would you name the spire below, if it didn't already have a name? (Top photo)

How about this one on the bottom? Much better:

Iceaxe
02-10-2006, 02:26 PM
One item I have discovered

savanna3313
02-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Better than a male part. What would you name the spire below, if it didn't already have a name? (Top photo)

How about this one on the bottom? Much better:

A name for the spire photo? How about "Wishful Thinking" :lol8:

Iceaxe
02-10-2006, 02:36 PM
I don

derstuka
02-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Or this one?

Scott P
02-10-2006, 08:09 PM
But I here by dub this rappel The Wet Spot.

Sorry, Stevie B already named the rappel. I won't say what.

icthys
02-11-2006, 07:49 AM
I think I'd have to name some after my favorite foods.

Pork Carnitas
Taco Lasagna
Egg Roll
Hot Wings
Rootbeer Float
Train Burger
Jalapeno or any pepper
Donkey Balls

goofball
02-12-2006, 08:05 PM
crescent canyon. definitely crescent canyon.

mossimo64
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
In wildland fire we are required to name the fire after the nearest geographic feature. Such as the 'trillium fire' after trillium lake near by. Pretty easy, till you are in the virgin river gorge in southern Utah and you announce over the forest band that your fire is the virgin fire and you are the virgin IC (incident commander). To bad I had to change that one, it was funny while it lasted...

Iceaxe
02-13-2006, 08:13 AM
In wildland fire we are required to name the fire after the nearest geographic feature.

Nice idea.... but what do you do if there are five fires in the Virgin River Gorge?

The new NOT Crecent Canyon is right next door to a couple other popular routes. :lol8: