PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Havasupi Reservation

ugly
02-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Sommebeech was asking for photos of my trip into the Havasupi reservoir. So I am taking a stab at it. I warn all that I am truely illiterate when it comes to computers, so if it takes a few tries....

I know this isn't local to Utah but it will be a closer drive for you than it was for me. And just one hell of an awesome place and worth the trek.
I forgot the names of the falls. The middle and lower falls were the most impressive. I went very late in the year, not many people but it was sold out just the day before so do your homework and reserve early.

ugly
02-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Hah it worked though they came in backward? I think I saw this warned to another in a post I was reading, I guess I didn't learn. Here are some more.

accadacca
02-06-2006, 08:37 PM
We salute you....:guitar:

Sombeech
02-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Great pics, man. I would love to see the confluence of the two rivers!

http://uutah.com/forum/files/havasu05.jpg

That's pretty cool. I was wondering what it would look like when the two rivers met.

Do you have any more shots? Those are great.

James_B_Wads2000
02-07-2006, 09:33 AM
About how long does it take to hike to the Colorado River? Is it a day from the village?

James

donny h
02-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Great pics, thanks for posting.

I hate crowds, does anyone hike down there in winter?

ugly
02-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Well I went early November and there were few people there. I don't remember how late the season ran. It is a twelve mile hike to the campground. The campground is two miles further down from the village. From the campground the river was another nine miles iirc. It sounds long but it wasn't a bad hike I did it in a day trip with time to spare. We hiked to the river the day before our hike out. We did only a three night trip, so we hiked about fourty miles in four days. You will want to be up for the task. I did it in my construction boots and had sore feet (that didn't slow me down any) but the wife in good hiking boots (quite the trooper) was worn out each night. We drove back into Flagstaff the day we came out and soaked in a hottub for about an hour and the next day we were both exhausted but no sore muscles.

I say it was an easy day trip from the campground but I didn't linger at the Colorado long. It is a dead end hike. Nowhere to go after arriving at the Colorado, no swimming; the Colorado is way too fast. The two rivers meet and there is the canyon arising straight up from every bank. The joy was in the hike. It was such a scenic hike, every bend in the canyon had a different view.

These pictures show so well why I don't like or take many photo's my wife does but I don't like them. They convey so terribly the true effect of the area. The immense scale and the awe is lost in the photos. Take for example the photos of the convergence of the two rivers. That was the most awesome sight. It was taking place in about a fifty foot deep channel that was about twenty feet wide. It wasn't like you could reach out and touch it. I was standing on the top of the ledge overlooking it and watching the two colours churn together with such power being conveyed in how it mingled so slowly yet with such a dynamic that it was mezmerizing, and the photo just can't capture that.