PDA

View Full Version : Misc tip: SeamGrip - The Canyoneers friend

Ryebrye
02-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Most people have heard of SeamGrip in the context of seam-sealing a tent. Clearly, it works great at that, but that's not why it is a canyoneer's best friend.

SeamGrip (by McNett) is some kind of "space age polymer" that will stick to just about anything. Conrad Anker swears by the stuff, and after trying it out on a few things you will see why. They should rename it to "Liquid Duct Tape" - it's truly that versatile.

Use SeamGrip to reinforce abrasion areas

[list:789c318e58]On Shoes: Regardless of what high-tech shoes you are using, you have points that will rub against the sandstone. Apply gobs of seam-grip over those areas (such as the points on the sides of your shoes... etc) - To make a nice-looking edge, you can mask of an area to not apply seam-grip with tape, and then pull the tape off when it is dry.
On Rappel Gloves: You can apply a bunch of seam-grip to the palms of leather gloves you will be rappelling with to increase the life of your braking hand. Lay it on 1/8th inch thick in areas where the rope runs (diagonally across the palm, a bit in the fingers... you can tell by looking for the black marks on an old pair). When the seam-grip gets worn down a bit, you can simply apply more.[/list:u:789c318e58]
Make repairs with SeamGrip

[list:789c318e58]To straps: If you have shoes that have straps an ankle-strap that just got eaten through by a canyon, you can use the power of SeamGrip to repair them. Get some webbing that's the same width, and use SeamGrip like glue to bind the webbing together. SeamGrip will get soaked deep into the webbing and will bond it at a very tight level - no bartacking required. (Although it does make the place where you are binding become rather stiff, so it's best to make the repair at the side of the foot where the webbing wont need to bend much)[/list:u:789c318e58]

In general, the SeamGrip will help you out by providing you with a layer of junk to wear through other than fabric. It's easier to reapply SeamGrip than it is to reapply fabric. Sure, it wont make things last forever, but it can make things last a lot longer than they would otherwise.

(There is a page on this at the CanyonWiki: http://www.canyonwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Making_your_gear_last )

Iceaxe
02-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the tip. :2thumbs: I'll give it a try.

jumar
02-06-2006, 06:51 AM
me too, thanks

rock_ski_cowboy
02-06-2006, 02:55 PM
I'll add my testimony to Ryans. My Rioveros were starting to come apart at the seams after a few tight canyons wore the threads through in a few places. After a tube of seamgrip, I fixed the seams, and they've pretty much stayed in the same condition with only minor deterioration after quite a few more canyons.

I believe that SeamGrip isn't the only brand of the substance, I think Aquaseal is the same thing, and there may be generic brand seam-sealers that are the same thing, but i may be mistaken...

Iceaxe
02-06-2006, 03:26 PM
My Rioveros were seam sealed by Hank before I ever wore them. :2thumbs:

I think this is a good step to take with any canyoneering shoe. I did all my 5.10 Canyoneers before I wore them and they never failed in a seam.