PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever taken these through a canyon? (Solstice pants)

Ryebrye
02-03-2006, 04:25 PM
http://www.solsticegear.com/products.asp?cat=3&prod=97

I came across those pants while browsing around. I know that everyone probably has a certain type of pant that they use already, but I was wondering if anyone has ever taken these through a canyon/seen it done.

They claim to dry out quickly - which might be nice - but the most important thing I am wondering about is if they are abrasion resistant (i.e. can last more than a canyon) - and how warm they are...

They look like they might be a good summer pant for some place like Zion. Buswacking in shorts certainly isn't fun.

Anyway, let me know if you know anything.

Ryan

Iceaxe
02-03-2006, 09:40 PM
I've never tried the pants mentioned above, but for $40 you have a wide choice of pants.

I shread pants really fast. I usually just watch the clearance racks at K-Mart for when they put the nylon running/wind/gym pants on sale for cheap. Like under $10. Those nylon running pants dry almost instantly.

Udink
02-03-2006, 10:17 PM
I shread pants really fast. I usually just watch the clearance racks at K-Mart for when they put the nylon running/wind/gym pants on sale for cheap. Like under $10. Those nylon running pants dry almost instantly.
How well do those hold up? I bought a couple pairs of Starter Dri-Star pants off the clearance rack at Wal-Mart ($11 each), and I was wondering if a pair would last me through my first canyon. I plan on doing Moonshine Wash this spring sometime, I'm sure I can expect some water, so my regular denim won't be a good choice.

Iceaxe
02-03-2006, 10:24 PM
How well do those hold up? I bought a couple pairs of Starter Dri-Star pants off the clearance rack at Wal-Mart ($11 each), and I was wondering if a pair would last me through my first canyon.

Yup... you bought the right stuff at a good price :thumb:

The Starter Dri-Star's will probably last an entire year unless you do some major butt sliding..... the one thing I can promise is they will last 10 times longer then demin. Demin is the worst. When its wet it takes forever to dry and when its wet it shreads like tissue paper filled with snot.

Moonshine Wash is not hard on clothing. Its the skinny squeeze type canyons that shred gear.

Ryebrye
02-04-2006, 10:35 AM
True, at $40 they are a bit much for shredding pants, but I was just wondering if I ever found them on sale or something.

Up to this point I've usually used some Nike ACG pants (they are cotton - so they don't dry fast). The pants have reinforced knees and butt - and I only wear them when it's 100+ degrees outside and I usually like the cool material as I hike out.

When I need to stay warm, I just wear a drysuit....

But still, when I'm not trouncing through a canyon I like to think about different gear options for future trouncing... :)

Ryan

Iceaxe
02-04-2006, 10:56 AM
they are cotton - so they don't dry fast

If you take a survival class you will probably hear cotton referred to as Death Cloth.

In cool weather, wearing cotton can spell the difference between life and death; for this reason it is commonly referred to as "death cloth." The problem with cotton is that it retains far too much water and takes far too long to dry when compared with clothing made of artificial materials, such as polypropylene, polyester, nylon, etc. When wet, cotton simply cannot insulate. Wet clothing dissipates heat from your body 25 times faster than dry clothing. In cold weather, or even cool weather, this can kill you.

dbessee
02-04-2006, 04:53 PM
If you take a survival class you will probably hear cotton referred to as Death Cloth

The CO SAR Teams call Jeans and a t-shirt the "Hypothermia Uniform" :haha:

Ryebrye
02-04-2006, 06:58 PM
In cold weather, I would not think twice about it... but in 100+ degree weather you would be suprised how nice "Death cloth" feels when you are exiting a canyon and making that long hike back to the tram.

Point taken though.

Iceaxe
02-05-2006, 09:35 AM
but in 100+ degree weather you would be suprised how nice "Death cloth" feels when you are exiting a canyon and making that long hike back though.

I understand what you are saying.... but I have also been forced to spend the night in the desert with only the clothes I'm wearing.... and the time I was wearing a sweat soaked t-shirt and demin shorts was extremely uncomfortable.

I have found the nylon summer shirts by companies like Columbia with all the vents to actaully be cooler in hot weather then a t-shirt. Best of all they dry almost instantly.

YMMV

lonepeakgeek
02-05-2006, 10:44 AM
I've never tried the pants mentioned above, but for $40 you have a wide choice of pants.

I shread pants really fast. I usually just watch the clearance racks at K-Mart for when they put the nylon running/wind/gym pants on sale for cheap. Like under $10. Those nylon running pants dry almost instantly.. I'm with Iceaxe on this one. If you know the stuff is going to get thrashed- and kevlar isn't an option, more cheaper is more better. Also- you can buy ripstop nylon and 1000 denier cordura at lots of fabric stores- or at Kirkhams. Patch or reinforce the knees and butt.