PDA

View Full Version : original tram 1953

sreed
02-01-2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.skiinghistory.org/GRAPHICS/Atkinson/At07.jpg

icthys
02-01-2006, 10:49 AM
I don't think I'd be standing under that thing.

accadacca
02-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Is that from the bird?

sreed
02-11-2006, 09:38 PM
hey fish guy, do you want me to make a tribal fish belt buckle? SO you can see it before you buy it!!

sreed
02-11-2006, 09:52 PM
hey hokey pokey guy!! what are you trying to sy????

accadacca
02-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Is that from Snowbird?

Sombeech
02-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Is that from Snowbird?

I think that's from somewhere up in Oregon. I saw the same picture. It's an old bus converted to a tram in 1953.

stefan
02-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Snowbird opened 1971.

Its kinda funny, the word tram means train. Of course the way we use the term tram in the US comes from 'aerial tramway'....this photo gives a whole new meaning to the word [substitute bus for tram].

I think the most impressive "tram" i've been on is in chamonix, french alps. basically it runs from the chamonix valley up to aiguille du midi, where you sit on a fantastic spire which is literally 9300 vertical feet up. it's actually 2 trams, equalling more than 3 snowbirds worth of vertical, and impressively is a fair bit steaper than snowbird. in the winter you can ski to the chamonix valley from this altitude, giving you a 9300 foot vertical run... :2thumbs:

check it out sometime. you can spend all day up there looking at the glaciers and craggy alps. very cool. course you'll have to share it with a bunch o people. i know this is supposed to be about utah, but i couldn't resist, it's mildly related....

basically it's that highest spire in the middle of the image.

stefan

ps. the wasatch will always be my favorite place on earth to ski :hail2thechief:

Sombeech
02-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Its kinda funny, the word tram means train. Of course the way we use the term tram in the US comes from 'aerial tramway'....this photo gives a whole new meaning to the word [substitute bus for tram].

I think the most impressive "tram" i've been on is in chamonix, french alps.

Wow, do you have any personal photos of this place? If so, feel free to post 'em up here. That looks pretty impressive.

stefan
02-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Wow, do you have any personal photos of this place? If so, feel free to post 'em up here. That looks pretty impressive.

Well, i do have many personal photos, unfortunately they are not digitial.
sorry. if i get any from a friend taken on aiguille (needle), i'll post them.

stefan