PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant Hunting

jumar
01-30-2006, 06:41 AM
Went on my first real pheasant hunting trip this weekend, down at the Castle Valley Ranch in Central Utah. I have to say it was a great weekend, and I would really recommend it. The people at Castle Valley were all great, and the hunting was awesome. Unlike a lot of the hunting ranches, they don't have a limit of 3 or 6. If they did we would have been done shooting in the first half an hour. Between the four of us we bagged somewhere between 60 and 70 birds. A lot of fun! :rifle: :assault: :defend: :2guns: :2gun:
http://www.my-mania.com/images/hunt2.jpg

http://www.my-mania.com/images/hunt1.jpg

Iceaxe
01-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Yup..... looks like you need a good recipe :haha:

I love hunting pheasant and eating pheasant. I used to have a primo hunting dog but he died last summer from old age.

accadacca
01-30-2006, 01:23 PM
:eek2: SWEET! :five:

Sombeech
01-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Nice pics. We need more pheasant hunting pictures here.

hesse15
01-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Went on my first real pheasant hunting trip this weekend, down at the Castle Valley Ranch in Central Utah. I have to say it was a great weekend, and I would really recommend it. The people at Castle Valley were all great, and the hunting was awesome. Unlike a lot of the hunting ranches, they don't have a limit of 3 or 6. If they did we would have been done shooting in the first half an hour. Between the four of us we bagged somewhere between 60 and 70 birds. A lot of fun! :rifle: :assault: :defend: :2guns: :2gun:
]
wow they seems a huge number for only 4 people
beside here recipes by the way who does the cleaning (the fethers?)
old italian recipes:

fagiano alla crema(phaesant with cream)
phaesant butter onion pepper a cup of milk cream(like the spanish nestle cream de leche whithout sugar) lemon juice (fresh)
he said to leave the meat to rest for few days hunging from the beack and take out the feather before start preparing to cook
they said female are better meat because more fat delicate and more tasty
:naughty:
it said to cook the meat with the butter ,a little crushed tiny onion ,salt pepper
when is almost cook add the milk cream slowly and finish cooking the meat and after add the lemon juice

fagiano in casseruola
phaesant ,butter ,salt ,pepper ,half cup of cognac ,broth ,meat`s extract(is a dry preparation made out of meat ,not sure if you have in usa) but if you get or you do a home made meat broth thick will be the same
just do not use the cheap chicken broth cube that does not taste anything

it said to cook the phaesant just with butter (real one please) salt pepper when is cook (but no overcooked please) and the color is gold put in a plate
so now add the cognac to the bottom of the pot away from the stove just add a little of the broth in wich is the meat `extract and slowly put back on the fire and make a dense cream and after put this cream on top of the phaesant meat

fagiano in salmi`(more complicate)
phaesant ,lard, cognac (a small glass) broth ,meat extract ,carrot ,onion ,laurel ,parsil ,pepper in grains, salt ,white wine (a glass) ,flour, some regular white mushroom cooked on butter and truffles(but you can do whithout)

it said take out the feathers and put a little on the flame to clean the skin of residual piece of fether
put a piece of lard wrapped around the chest and put in the oven for 20 minutes
after divide the bird in medium pieces and remove the piece of the back whith the tender bone and put aside for later
clean the pieces from the skin and put them flat

in a pot put cognac ,put on flame (be carefull doing that) for a moment and add some tablespoons of the hot broth in which you before dissolve the meat extract
add the phaesant pieces
keep in a very low heat stove covered and do not let them dryed

aside prepare the soffritto (little pieces of carrot ,some parsil cutted really little ,half onion cutted really little ,a little piece of laurel leaf ,some pepper grains and salt and some butter) let them get a little colored and after take all the grease out and in the same pot add the white wine put the slow heat on
let reduce half and add 2 cups of the broth with the meat extract

aside in a mortar crush the cooked skin and the piece of the back that you set aside before after add them to the soffritto and let them boil for 10 minutes
with a mixer crush a little more
after press all of this trough a metal net (see image below)in order to separate the cream from the bones and the herbs.
let the little sauce become a little thicker on the stove adding some butter and little flour and let cook slow for 10 minutes and remove the impurities that come to the surface .
after add some little piece of butter outsidethe heat to give the sauce a velvet (we say that in italian sorry can be translate also with smooth) look
now you can add the sauce to the phaesant pieces that were in the pot warm up but do not let boil
add the cooked mushroom some truffles slides (but is ok whithout ) and serve on the table.

sorry but in Italy when we cook we spend a lot of time doing it and I know in Usa is all fast fat quick...
by the way other recipes also leave the meat on the wine for 24H with the herbs on the fridge to make the wine go more inside the meat

jumar
01-31-2006, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the recipe!

by the way who does the cleaning (the fethers?)

The guys at the ranch cleaned them out for us :razz:

hesse15
01-31-2006, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the recipe!

by the way who does the cleaning (the fethers?)

The guys at the ranch cleaned them out for us :razz:

which hunter are you if you have a person cleaning them for you and is not either your wife nor your kids? :nono:

ah do you call hunting a place that they raise the birds like chicken they put almost in front of you and after they also clean them for you?
I always remember the evening spent chatting meanwhile you take out all the feathers and the kitchen floor was full of the beautiful variety of them
sorry i was still to the old time in which hunters wake up at 3 AM walk on the land for miles and miles they have to find the animal (one if you are lucky) and after being able to be a good hunter geting it at first shot
but seems here everything is so fast that you pay to have everything almost from your car perhaps including siping coffee on the other hand
i found cheating also when in lakes they add fishes to make people able to catch them.
If you do not do all the difficult game of finding them (60-70 is a farm :frustrated: )
why you do not just get them at the grocery store?
sorry my dad was a hunter
and more than get the animal was all the athmosphere of being good to find the few one after so much sacrifices.

Iceaxe
01-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Hunting on a good bird ranch is just as difficult as hunting on public land. The only difference is there are a lot more birds. Think of it like fishing.... when you go to the lake most the fish you catch were raised at a hatchery and stocked in the lake. Same, Same but different. On a ranch you also pay more per bird then if you bought them in a store, but you are also buying the experience.

hesse15
02-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Hunting on a good bird ranch is just as difficult as hunting on public land. The only difference is there are a lot more birds. Think of it like fishing.... when you go to the lake most the fish you catch were raised at a hatchery and stocked in the lake. Same, Same but different. On a ranch you also pay more per bird then if you bought them in a store, but you are also buying the experience.
i still not believe that you hire somebody to clean your birds
:nono:
that is a good test for an hunter`s wife....

jumar
02-01-2006, 05:50 PM
From what hear most groups our size don't get nearly as many as we did. We're just good shots. :2thumbs:

My dad grew up in No. WY and spent a lot of time walking around fields hunting. I tried it with a few times and we never got anything. I like this way much better! And if someone wants to clean the birds for me as part of the package, I won't put up a fight :gap:

psl53
02-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Looks like everyone had a great time. :hail2thechief: Who Paid? I have been a member of Hatts for twenty years. Great time and great people. Hess15, where you from Son! In America you don't :nono: ask the womens to clean your birds, unless you don't care much for sex. :roflol:
Out
Peter

Caddis
02-18-2006, 09:27 AM
ROFL

Peter, I couldn't have said it any bettter.

gary

Iceaxe
02-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Hess15, where you from Son! In America you don't :nono: ask the womens to clean your birds, unless you don't care much for sex.

You guys must be looking for your women in the wrong pumpkin' patch :haha:

......Because Hesse is a woman, and a mighty hot one if I do say so :thumb:

psl53
02-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Dough............................ Sorry Hesse........I'm off to clean my own birds :ne_nau: :ne_nau:
Peter..... Freaken Newbies :roll: