PDA

View Full Version : Looking for slow, fat riding partners in Northern Utah

mtnbiker62
01-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I say this every year, but this year I really mean it! I want to get in shape and do more riding and hiking this year. It's a lot easier to train if you have a group of people depending on you, but everytime I get in a group ride, they all end up waiting for me. Aren't there any slower, less lean riders around? I live up in Tremonton, but I will travel anywhere in Northern Utah for evening/weekend rides. I like to ride aggressive XC, but I have a short-travel freeride bike, and (god-forbid) an old Specialized road bike, so I'm up for any type of ride. If you are looking for a slow riding partner and some additional motivation, then I'm your guy...send me a message.

cachehiker
01-25-2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.cvveloists.org/

We're a "touring" club and advocacy group located just over the mountain from you. Very few of us do any racing and half of the road rides are around 30 miles at a 16 mph pace. They're what we call "C" rated rides. The "B" rated rides are more like 50 miles at a 18 mph pace.

There is at least one ride every month that calls for my racing bike but I ride a near 30 lb. cross/touring rig most of the time. The 52 mile "Tour de Wellsvilles" ride from Wellsville to Brigham, north through Honeyville, around to Mendon and back to Wellsville will be early in July.

Mountain rides are only scheduled once or twice a month and the turnout is unpredictable. Sometimes a fast crowd, sometimes a big crowd, sometimes not. The first one is usually the relatively tame River Trail in April. It may not rain, but there will be mud.

Watch out for Nolan. He doesn't look like he should be that fast. :wink:

Sombeech
01-25-2006, 12:34 PM
fat slow rider, aka Sombeech.

Hey, I live in Clinton, work in the Ogden area. I missed a bunch of group rides due to school, but I've just graduated.

Let's get something together! I know that fourtycal is usually riding every Tuesday night (I'm not sure about right now). But, we could join them, or do something on our own this side of SLC.

live2ride has been trying to ride with me also, and I think he's in the Layton area. Chivato and KillEmAll are in the area as well.

Now, where to ride?

mtnbiker62
01-25-2006, 01:14 PM
There are plenty of trails around. I'm partial to the Maples Loop in Ogden and the Mud Flats Loop in Logan, but I'll ride anywhere. I don't mind driving to the trail, and I don't mind walking a little once I get to the trail. Early season trails are a little limited, but Antelope Island, Bonneville Shoreline, Logan River trail all melt out pretty early. I'd love to have a weekly ride (as a minimum). My work schedule is pretty flexible, so I can leave a little early if necessary. Let's get a group together and make a plan! I'm taking the freeride bike to Bootleg Canyon over President's Day weekend...maybe that would be a good chance to get together and meet everyone?

eddy1911
01-25-2006, 01:14 PM
I live in Syracuse and like to do the northern rides also. When the weather gets better, lets get together.

Eddy

Sombeech
01-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I've done Antelope Island recently, and Bonneville shoreline many times. I'd like to do Logan River trail, as I've never done it before. How is it right now?

fourtycal
01-25-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm in for whatever. Me(old slow and fat) and a couple of youngsters ride every tuesday afternoon during the summer (time change to time change) it has turned into friday night snowboarding during the winter. If you guys set up a further up north winter ride let me know. I don't do skinny tire rides but anything else and I'm game(even if I am gasping for air).

greyhair biker
01-25-2006, 10:05 PM
You know I'm there anytime I can get there. I ride with fourtycal whenever we can...when our wives let us or not. :hail2thechief:

mtnbiker62
01-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Still snowed under, unfortunately. We also have some other lower trails, but they are all still under the white stuff.

I've done Antelope Island recently, and Bonneville shoreline many times. I'd like to do Logan River trail, as I've never done it before. How is it right now?

accadacca
01-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I was riding with Fourty's boys on some Tuesdays and Sombeech's misfits on other days this past summer. Sounds like we will have some good groups this coming summer. Looking fw'd to meeting up with some of you new peeps this summer. :cool2:

cachehiker
01-26-2006, 12:38 PM
I'd like to do Logan River trail

The Logan River trail will remain a snowshoeing trail for at least another month. Until the deer fence trails begin to thaw, there is no mountain biking here in Cache Valley. I'm usually able to do a little snow biking, but the conditions have been too soft on every trail I've done lately. It's too bad the girl I'm heading to St. George with next month is strictly a roadie.

I'm not fat or slow but I'm not an aggessive rider either. Spending time on the outside of the asylum is what it's all about. There are more than a few less experienced riders up here who find me very accomodating and trust me to pick trails that won't have them in over their heads.

I'd love to take in some of the trails above Ogden, on the other side of the Wellsvilles, out near Promontory, and around Bear Lake, Malad, Lava, etc. There are also a few trails up here I've never gotten around to doing. Nobody ever wants to ride Stump Hollow on one of my free weekends. Card Canyon is just technical enough to have my usual riding partners intimidated. There are plenty of others.

I generally need at least 48 hours notice. By Friday afternoon, I've usually committed to doing something with someone on Saturday. Every other Sunday is usually open for me as well. Although you have to join to be a ride leader, the CV Veloists could use some Tremonton or Ogden area rides on their schedule too.

mtnbiker62
01-26-2006, 02:00 PM
All of the access on the west side of the Wellsvilles is private, and the mountains are too steep anyway. About the only riding over here is out by the Golden Spike Monument, and it is mostly dirt road. A good early season ride over here is to park at the Monument headquarters and follow the west tour loop...ride the gravel road out 9 miles and then follow the railroad bed back. There is a short loop in the foothills in Brigham, and you used to be able to ride the "I" road in Perry, which I imagine you still can. The return route was along the canal, which was infested with thorns, though...Slime in the tires was a must. The Golden Spike loop is pretty much at lake level, so it stays melted out...most of the year.

greyhair biker
01-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey Acca, did I ride with you & Fourtycal this last year - maybe across Wasatch Crest or Little Cottonwood? I was the nut on the downhill bike & pads on Wasatch Crest bombing down with Fourtycal...the mind goes funny when you get old

accadacca
01-26-2006, 08:16 PM
I am not sure, but I don't think so? The only guy bombing with fourty was me. We trade off eating each others dust. Just follow the back tire through the smoke and hope for the best. :lol8:

greyhair biker
01-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, Looking forward to riding this year anyway :2thumbs:

accadacca
01-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Well, Looking forward to riding this year anyway :2thumbs:
Yup, we will have to hook up.

live2ride
02-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Count me in, Like somebeech said I live in Layton and am willing to go anywhere to ride, also anyone interested in trying out some night riding I have an extra nightrider with a helmet mount if anyone would like to take a stab at it this year, night riding adds a whole new dimention to biking and it is a blast. I try to ride 4 times a week in the summer and always ride every sat morning usually at snowbasin. Lets make this happen, I am looking forward to riding soon!!!

Sombeech
02-22-2006, 09:18 AM
I've heard night riding is really good, if you have the right gear. There's nobody on the trail.

live2ride
02-22-2006, 09:20 AM
I have some good lights, that is the key, don't go cheap and you can't get away with riding on a 20 dollar light from the bike shop. I have a spare if you want to come along on a night ride. Mueller is awesome in the night, no crowd, your light lights up the entire trail, it makes for some good rides.

mtnbiker62
02-22-2006, 11:06 AM
You're officially in...I feel like we should have t-shirts or something! :nod: I'm jonesing for some trails pretty bad...so bad, in fact, that I'm considering riding out on Antelope Island this weekend.

Count me in, Like somebeech said I live in Layton and am willing to go anywhere to ride

Glockguy
02-22-2006, 12:05 PM
I got a roadie last year and am looking for some group rides. I am a fat guy but am losing it.(-15 this year so far....35 more to go.)

greyhair biker
02-22-2006, 01:14 PM
shirts sound cool - who's gonna do the artwork? Maybe UUtah or something with the ACDC 'font' from back in black :2thumbs:

Sombeech
02-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Maybe UUtah or something with the ACDC 'font' from back in black :2thumbs:

That is an excellent idea! I noticed the AC/DC font on fourtycal's tires. Or was it your tire? I can't remember.

greyhair biker
02-22-2006, 01:58 PM
His new set of Maxxis & my front...He had an Azonic shirt on that was just like the Back in Black set up too...I was drooling! :cool2:

greyhair biker
02-22-2006, 02:03 PM
For those about to ride, we salute you! :rockit:

live2ride
02-22-2006, 03:23 PM
i want to ride antelope this weekend Would anyone reccomend it?

accadacca
02-22-2006, 04:17 PM
I don't know if I would recommend it....

But you don't have many options in the valley....so it is better than nothin'.

cachehiker
02-22-2006, 08:47 PM
so bad, in fact, that I'm considering riding out on Antelope Island this weekend.

You're tempting me. :frustrated:

Saturday, I hope.

Meet when and where? :nod:

mtnbiker62
02-23-2006, 04:55 AM
Saturday, I hope.

Meet when and where? :nod:

My daughter informed me last night that I'm taking her skiing Saturday, so I'm out for this weekend...sorry. :ne_nau:

mtnbiker62
02-23-2006, 05:08 AM
shirts sound cool - who's gonna do the artwork? Maybe UUtah or something with the ACDC 'font' from back in black :2thumbs:

Here's an idea on that theme:

Sombeech
02-23-2006, 10:05 AM
http://uutah.com/forum/files/uutah.gif

Nice! :rockon:

Did you find the font somewhere, or did you draw this up?

accadacca
02-23-2006, 10:12 AM
In my best Paris Hilton voice, "That's hot!" :lol8:

mtnbiker62
02-23-2006, 11:45 AM
http://uutah.com/forum/files/uutah.gif

Nice! :rockon:

Did you find the font somewhere, or did you draw this up?

I downloaded it...it's called Squealer, I think.

mtnbiker62
02-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Powerage font:

greyhair biker
02-24-2006, 07:35 AM
:rockit: :rockon: :2thumbs:

Sombeech
02-24-2006, 08:06 AM
I installed the font. Very cool! My only question is, how do you get the lightning bolt? Wait.. I found it. It's the asterisk *.

live2ride
02-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Ok, I am ready to pay the $9.00 car fee to go to antelope tommorow SAT! I bet there will be a ton of horses but hell, I am going to do it and am going to ride. I want to get out there at around 12:00 anyone else interested your more than welcome to meet and carpool or whatever. Let me know but I am going to be there SAT afternoon!!!

Sombeech
03-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Ok, I am ready to pay the $9.00 car fee to go to antelope tommorow SAT! I bet there will be a ton of horses but hell, I am going to do it and am going to ride. I want to get out there at around 12:00 anyone else interested your more than welcome to meet and carpool or whatever. Let me know but I am going to be there SAT afternoon!!!

How was it?

shlingdawg
03-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Someone mentioned slow and fat, so I'm in. I have to do a little work on the bike (deraillure issues), but count me in. Tuesday nights are out for me until 4/25. I'm taking a small engine repair class @ the DATC so I can fix all the stuff in my garage. :ne_nau:

For an easy, quick, close and free ride........... check out the VitaCourse in Fruit Heights, up by the animal shelter. You can make a day out of it too. Bike for a while, then go up to the range and fire your weapons.

Sombeech
03-07-2006, 09:15 AM
For an easy, quick, close and free ride........... check out the VitaCourse in Fruit Heights, up by the animal shelter. You can make a day out of it too. Bike for a while, then go up to the range and fire your weapons.

Do you have any info on this trail? Is it near the shoreline trail there?

live2ride
03-07-2006, 09:25 AM

Isn't this the trail that connects all the way to the bountiful B,

In regards to Antelope island, I went and rode, the conditions were great, no mud, a little sandy but I was able to plow through it and not push my bike whatsoever so I was happy, warm and nice with a few trails shitters (horses).

I am heading down to St George to ride this weekend, what a weekend to choose looks like the weather is going to be shitty.

shlingdawg
03-07-2006, 10:00 AM

Head up to Highway 89 in Layton and head south. When you hit the light at 400 North in Kaysville, take a left onto Mountain Road heading North again (the intersection on the east side of 89 is "T". Go up that road past the animal control offices and you'll see a parking lot on the left (north) side of the road. Park there and you'll see the trail. It's a loop type trail but it is quite short. There are several places to ride around and find some jumps etc.

It is quite close to the shoreline trail, but I can't confirm that it is part of it.