PDA

View Full Version : You guys are killin me!

icthys
01-24-2006, 09:11 AM
I can't take it anymore, all of this canyoneering stuff has finally gotten to me. I've done non-tech slot canyons, and quite a bit of hiking in the red rock (uncle's a BLM manager down in Escalante and has taken us on some great hikes) and now I'm ready for the technical stuff.

I don't have equipment nor would I know what to do with it if I had it. I'm dying to go down one of these canyons. Anyone up to taking a poor sucker who wants to tag along?

Mtnbiker
01-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Hey man I'm in the same boat - you're not the only one :five:

Maybe we need a canyoneering newb-tard trip to break some of us in properly, haha! :roflol:

No really, I'd go.

hesse15
01-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Hey man I'm in the same boat - you're not the only one :five:

Maybe we need a canyoneering newb-tard trip to break some of us in properly, haha! :roflol:

No really, I'd go.
i can suggest if you want be safe in a canyon and have other people with you to take the ACA classes, they area little pricey but they gave you all the information to save your butt in a risky situation.
the teachers are really skilled and a lot of people in this website took these classes ,also experienced ones
http://www.canyoneering.net/content/index.php?categoryid=18

shaggy125
01-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I took the ACA Technical Canyoneering class and it really was worth every penny, the sport is much more fun than I expected, and I expected quite a bit. As spring gets closer I'm sure you could find people willing to take you out too. I'd be willing to do a weekend thing sometime, but you must know up front I've only been doing it for a year in May. I've done about 25 or so canyons and feel confident in my abilities, but there are more experienced guys out there than me. If you live in the Salt Lake area, join the ACA Wasatch Chapter (only $15 for a year) and come to our monthly meetings. You will meet a lot of experienced guys and if you show up consistently you will make friends and probably score an invite on a trip. Tom and Rick were both really willing to help the newbies get comfortable rappelling etc... at the last get together. The next meeting is on this Thursday at the SLC REI 7:00. I put it on the uutah calendar.

Eric.

hesse15
01-24-2006, 12:56 PM
I took the ACA Technical Canyoneering class and it really was worth every penny, the sport is much more fun than I expected, and I expected quite a bit. As spring gets closer I'm sure you could find people willing to take you out too. I'd be willing to do a weekend thing sometime, but you must know up front I've only been doing it for a year in May. I've done about 25 or so canyons and feel confident in my abilities, but there are more experienced guys out there than me. If you live in the Salt Lake area, join the ACA Wasatch Chapter (only $15 for a year) and come to our monthly meetings. You will meet a lot of experienced guys and if you show up consistently you will make friends and probably score an invite on a trip. Tom and Rick were both really willing to help the newbies get comfortable rappelling etc... at the last get together. The next meeting is on this Thursday at the SLC REI 7:00. I put it on the uutah calendar.

Eric.
yeap rick is my canyon`s daddy
he is such a wonderful sweet safe person, and he does all th talking.a blast do canyons with him

marc olivares
01-24-2006, 01:06 PM
nothing new to add other than take a class from Rich if at all possible.
the guy is a wealth of knowledge. i actually took the class w/ my wife and parents (both in late 50's) and we all had a blast. my parents enjoyed it so much, that after the class, they dropped close to $1500 on gear. :eek2:

and come the the meeting on thursday. the ACA wasatch chapter is in it's infancy, and now would be a great tim to get on board.

hope to see you there, you cant miss me, i look like my avitar (LOL)
:2thumbs:

jumar
01-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Noobs are welcome to come with me on a canyon trip. I'll try to post when I have free openings.

rockgremlin
01-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Noobs are welcome to come with me on a canyon trip. I'll try to post when I have free openings.

Same here. I don't expect to get in any canyons again till after May (that's when classes are over for me).

I'll let ya'll know.

BTW, I'm surprised Shane hasn't posted about this. I understand he takes noobs out fairly often.

Iceaxe
01-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I usually try and include a noob in some of my trips. But I usually plan my trips on short notice. Just watch this forum and I usually post when I am loooking for partners and when noobs are welcome to join up.

I was also thinking maybe we need to hold anther practice/skills/meet the noob get-to-gather when it warms up. We did one last summer in Draper and it was a big hit. At the time there was no local ACA chapter. I have been kinda dragging my feet on more practice days to see if the ACA can get a local chapter off the ground.

If canyoneering is something you are really interested in then its hard to beat some good schooling.....

If this is just something you think you might like to try then go hike Little Wild Horse and see what you think of the idea.

:cool2:

icthys
01-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Here's the boat I'm in, all drama included.

-Flyfishing is my meat and potato's, most of my time is dedicated to time on the water, at the vice, building rods, and reading.

-All outdoor activities except fishing includes my wife and now family (1 year old daughter). My wife enjoys the 2-3 trips we take down south, the rest of our outdoor time is spent in the Uinta's, which accomodates my fishing habit.

-I keep bringing the canyoneering idea up to my wife all the time. Yesterday when I brought it up she reminded me that our little girl would be making any trip we go on and that she would be strapped to my back. Canyoneering doesn't seem to "kid strapped to my back" friendly.

-I really don't have the $ for classes and all kinds of gear to do it on my own.

Bottom line...the timing isn't good at all for me to get into the sport like I would want to. Someday it will happen. For now I'd like to tag along, as long as others are willing to bring me along. I'm cool with picking up head gear and a harness on the chance someone has pity on me so that I don't have to borrow all the time, plus I'd be more comfy in a pink or purple harness adorned with rhinestones anyway.

I'll be looking forward to any invitations :haha:

Iceaxe
01-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Hmmm..... maybe you should try offering to swap a day of introductory fly fishing for a day of introductory canyoneering.

I always tell noobs to figure out what they have to offer and post a message. Worst that can happen is no one responds.....

I'm a lot more willing to take noobs if they make some type of offer.... Like will you drive, carry the ropes, bring the lunch or dinner, provide 1/2 the shuttle, pick up the motel tab, bring out of state beer, pay for the hookers....... oops.... I was just thinking that last one, didn't mean to actually type it.....

marc olivares
01-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Here's the boat I'm in, all drama included.

-Flyfishing is my meat and potato's, most of my time is dedicated to time on the water, at the vice, building rods, and reading.

-All outdoor activities except fishing includes my wife and now family (1 year old daughter). My wife enjoys the 2-3 trips we take down south, the rest of our outdoor time is spent in the Uinta's, which accomodates my fishing habit.

-I keep bringing the canyoneering idea up to my wife all the time. Yesterday when I brought it up she reminded me that our little girl would be making any trip we go on and that she would be strapped to my back. Canyoneering doesn't seem to "kid strapped to my back" friendly.

-I really don't have the $ for classes and all kinds of gear to do it on my own.

Bottom line...the timing isn't good at all for me to get into the sport like I would want to. Someday it will happen. For now I'd like to tag along, as long as others are willing to bring me along. I'm cool with picking up head gear and a harness on the chance someone has pity on me so that I don't have to borrow all the time, plus I'd be more comfy in a pink or purple harness adorned with rhinestones anyway.

I'll be looking forward to any invitations :haha:

oh man where do i start...

i have 2 kids (4, 2) and they both ride along either in our backpacks or on their own. having squirts is a bad excuse.
next, not having gear it also a bad excuse.
i'm a newbie to this sport, but i have amassed a ton of gear from climbing and canyoneering buddies for next to nothing. you come out w/ me and all you need is sunscreen (chances are my wife will have you covered there)
third: you dont need money for a class, just come to the ACA meeting on Thursday. the class is a great primer to the sport, but practice makes perfect. and having access to a site like this is a great place to start too.
if you decide you like canyoneering, then take a class from Rich or participate in the upcoming ACA chapter courses.

Shane, there is a chapter, it's been slow to get going, but we're hoping after Thursday it will start gaining momentum. not alot has been posted because some organizational things still need to be worked out. there are a few on this board that are a part of the mailing list (as well as myself) and at this point, the general consensus is that a monthly meeting will occur as well as aca chapter trips. monthly topics have not been completely ironed out but there are a bunch in the works.
any input you have would be greatly appreciated. we need to include everyone and make the most out of the wealth of knowledge we have locally.

Iceaxe
01-24-2006, 05:49 PM
I keep hearing about the $15 fee to attend the ACA Chapter meetings. Is this a Wasatch Chapter fee or an ACA National fee? Or

How is the Wasatch Chapter structured? Who is running the show?

marc olivares
01-24-2006, 06:24 PM
I keep hearing about the $15 fee to attend the ACA Chapter meetings. Is this a Wasatch Chapter fee or an ACA National fee? Or

i'm honestly not sure about the fee, as to whether it's a national fee or not. i'm thinking that it's a reduced membership fee to start getting membership interest going. anyone who attends an ACA class automatically gets a membership, so maybe this is a way to get new comers into the chapter without having to take the class.

not quite sure about the structure at this point either.
most of the progress thus far has been made by Tom Jones and Rick Thompson, and it's my understanding that they are just getting the ball rolling so that others can ultimately take over the administration aspect of it (but if someone knows different please say so). some meeting topics have been discussed, but ultimately it's up to the chapter as to what the chapter wants to do.

i am merely a willing worker bee awaiting some direction as well (LOL) no actually i think that after Thursday we will have more of a grasp of what kind of direction the chapter will be going in. or maybe i'm just obtusely optimistic... :haha:

you should come out Shane, mix it up a bit!

LJ
01-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm a lot more willing to take noobs if they make some type of offer.... Like will you drive, carry the ropes, bring the lunch or dinner, provide 1/2 the shuttle, pick up the motel tab, bring out of state beer, pay for the hookers....... oops.... I was just thinking that last one, didn't mean to actually type it.....

I'm in! No drama, ready at moments notice, have the gear, love carrying ropes, make a mean lunch, have the beer all packed and iced, have a big truck, can comp hotel rooms, OK not sure about the hookers. Just waiting for the weather to get better and for some of you Northerners to head down to this part of the state. Working on my skills until then!

shaggy125
01-24-2006, 08:20 PM

Rich talked about some of that stuff at one of the skills get together things. You might want to ask him for clarification, but if I remember right he said that once a chapter is organized and going the $15 goes to the local chapter. The chapter can decide what they want to do with the money. Use it for covering expenses of trips, workshops, etc... He said that the San Gabriel Chapter last year hadn't spent a dime of it, so they just refunded everyone their $15.

Tom and Rick seem to be kind of taking charge of watching the noobs, teaching skills, etc... Nat Smale brought burgers and brats to one of the get togethers. Tom usually brings drinks. They had a meeting close to the end of the year and everyone who showed up was put on the head committee to get things started. I had something going on that night so I didn't make it and can't give a whole lot of info. I guess Rich wants committees set up to share the load of running the chapter, that way one person doesn't get overwhelmed and the chapter dies. Maybe post on the yahoo forum asking what's going on, or better yet come on Thursday, I'm sure they will talk about it after the canyon first aid presentation.

Eric.

Iceaxe
01-24-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm in! No drama, ready at moments notice, have the gear, love carrying ropes, make a mean lunch, have the beer all packed and iced.....

You had me at BEER :lol8:

:cheers:

FOX
01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
I've got a trip planned in the next couple of weeks and will be hitting the slots at least once a month after that. Noobs are always welcome as long as I have an opening. PM me for upcoming trip details if you're interested. :2thumbs:

Mtnbiker
01-25-2006, 06:42 AM
Thanks icthys for posting this, great topic!

I'll be there Thursday for sure, sounds like a good chance to meet some people.

All I know is our introduction to the slots at LWH and Ding made me think about it non stop after that trip, and about when the next trip will be! (soon)

We have harnesses from the few times we've top-roped in the gym, but other than that our climbing experience is limited.

see some of you soon, Ian

icthys
01-25-2006, 07:09 AM

I never have a problem pulling my share and adding a little extra for those willing to help me out. For instance, the hookers are always with me anyway, there's no need to pay for them.

I don't mind driving, or pitching in for gas money. I figured I'd be carrying ropes anyway. And doesn't that nasty canyon water count as beer? why would I need to bring some?

It's funny you mention offering to trade for flyfishing trips. I was thinking of offering a "beta" swap for some of your canyons in exchange for some flyfishing dream spots. I didn't post cause I figured since I don't know what I'm doing hitting a beta canyon doesn't make much sense.

Scott P
01-25-2006, 10:10 AM
I could take a few Newbies as well. We should do some easy canyons together first. Just let me know.

Iceaxe
01-25-2006, 10:33 AM
A little note to the experienced canyoneers.... If you are going to adopt a noob its best to post a note on the forum for the noobs stating when you are going, where you are going and what is expected of them. Just stating "yeah, I'll take a noob" doesn't really work. You need to post an official type invite when they are welcome. I have had really good success with this method.

.....or you can use my plan B, which is I send a private invite for a specific trip to a noob who has shown past interest. Private invites usually go to those who I think will be fun or entertaining partners... OK, I'll be honest, they also go to all the really hot chicks. :2thumbs:

Mtnbiker
01-25-2006, 10:57 AM
wow things are shaping up nicely for us noob-tards :mrgreen:

Real-world experience is definitely worth the trade off for driving or paying for gas or whatever.. I'd be happy to do a little grunt work for first hand expertise. If we're taking our life in our hands every time we go out I am certainly not taking any chances by not being prepared. My mother would kill me if I died out there!

As for the hot chicks... well I think my wife is pretty darn hot and she is up for whatever adventure I can dream up... :2thumbs:

marc olivares
01-25-2006, 11:02 AM
OK, I'll be honest, they also go to all the really hot chicks. :2thumbs:

Damn...that counts me out, i'm not a "chick" and i'm definately not "hot" :cry:

Iceaxe
01-25-2006, 11:27 AM

Noobs with 4x4's usually get invites before the really hot chicks. :bootyshake:

icthys
01-25-2006, 12:06 PM

Noobs with 4x4's usually get invites before the really hot chicks. :bootyshake:

I've got two 4x4's, Toyota truck for more serious wheeling and an Xterra for the mild I sure as hell better not break or scratch anything wheeling. If I was inviting noobs I'd invite the hotties before 4x4's, that's outta caracter for you Ice.

Iceaxe
01-25-2006, 12:14 PM
If I was inviting noobs I'd invite the hotties before 4x4's, that's outta caracter for you Ice.

Ya got to actually get to the canyons to be able to do them

Reedus
01-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I would be more than willing to take you out and break you in to Canyoneering provided you have the cohones to back off a 100 foot drop. I would even drive and provide the equipment. The only problem I have had with taking new guys is that they have a blast right up until the time they have to harness up and back off a cliff with a buried pile of rocks as the anchor. Most of them are aghast that we trust our lives to such a rudimentary anchor. I would dare to suggest that most of the bolts that get placed in canyons are from those who are new to the sport and don't know how to construct natural anchors.
Email me sideband if you are serious
rseamons at msn dot com

Iceaxe
01-25-2006, 04:04 PM
provided you have the cohones to back off a 100 foot drop.

I must have great big brass cohones because I hear a loud clanking sound when I walk.........

.........OOPS....

....Never mind, it was just my figure 8 bouncing off a biner. :roflol:

hesse15
01-25-2006, 05:04 PM

As for the hot chicks... well I think my wife is pretty darn hot and she is up for whatever adventure I can dream up... :2thumbs:
just a note
are you really sure that you want your hot wife chick alone in a canyon with beautiful scenery with the canyooners?
i will not let go her alone if I was you
you never know after being tired and tons of beer around campfire!!!
:naughty:

hesse15
01-25-2006, 05:07 PM
I would be more than willing to take you out and break you in to Canyoneering provided you have the cohones to back off a 100 foot drop. I would even drive and provide the equipment. The only problem I have had with taking new guys is that they have a blast right up until the time they have to harness up and back off a cliff with a buried pile of rocks as the anchor. Most of them are aghast that we trust our lives to such a rudimentary anchor. I would dare to suggest that most of the bolts that get placed in canyons are from those who are new to the sport and don't know how to construct natural anchors.
Email me sideband if you are serious
rseamons at msn dot com
as euros I feel better with hard steel in the rock(aka bolts) but if you add a body belay and weight more than me (120 soon 112 pounds)i am ok on crappy anchor (aka natural one)
off course i will not like to be the last one mostly in very high rappels.
but i am a chick so i think i can be a "pussy"........

Mtnbiker
01-26-2006, 12:16 PM

just a note
are you really sure that you want your hot wife chick alone in a canyon with beautiful scenery with the canyooners?
i will not let go her alone if I was you
you never know after being tired and tons of beer around campfire!!!
:naughty:

haha, nope I never let her out of my sight :haha: Not with people like Iceaxe prowling about. :roflol: