PDA

View Full Version : The Wave... Is it worth it?

James_B_Wads2000
01-23-2006, 02:26 PM
I was thinking of going to the Wave in the Coyote Buttes Wilderness area over Presidents Day weekend. All of the online permits are booked solid through April. You can pick up walk in permits the day before but that could be a hassle being a holiday weekend. It got me to thinking, is it even worth it? I have read a couple of TR

marc olivares
01-23-2006, 04:38 PM
we did it last January, we hit a warm sunny day in between rain storms.
i thought it was worth it, but i'm pretty easily entertained.
it's not a very big area, but lots of stuff to explore above the wave too.

Red Deer
01-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Howdy,

I'd say definitely. I hiked the wave in the middle of June and would take nothing for the experience. I'd really like to do it again at a time when I could experience it with a nice reflecting pool inside, like some of the pics I've seen.

As an example of how worth it, I took four 36-exposure rolls in with me, thinking I'd never shoot that much. Burned about 15 shots on the hike in. Burned all the rest in the Wave itself and wished I'd brought four more!

Hope you enjoy the hike (if you decide to go),
Reid

LJ
01-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey James_B

I did it last fall and thought it was great. I'd say it was worth it not only for "the wave" section but to explore the surrounding area also. Get there early for good light, if you are taking pictures. It makes for a nice day.

LJ