PDA

View Full Version : Chai Tea

Superriffic S*
01-20-2006, 01:03 PM

hesse15
01-20-2006, 01:07 PM
My good friend Ethan introduced me to Chai Tea... He came over the other night to hang out and brought a cup with him.. I had a taste and I am now hooked... it was soooo good! Does anyone know what it is made out of? Something that tastes that good can't be good for you!Try this:

Boil 5 minutes, then steep 10 minutes:

1 Tbsp fennel or anise seed
6 green cardamom pods
12 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1/4" ginger root, sliced thin
1/4 tsp black pepper corns
2 bay leaves
7 Cups water
Add, bring to a boil, and simmer 5 minutes:

2 Tbsp Darjeeling tea
Add:

6 Tbsp honey or brown sugar
1 Cup milk
Yum!

hesse15
01-20-2006, 01:08 PM
My good friend Ethan introduced me to Chai Tea... He came over the other night to hang out and brought a cup with him.. I had a taste and I am now hooked... it was soooo good! Does anyone know what it is made out of? Something that tastes that good can't be good for you!14 cardamom pods
4 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups milk
3 (3-inch) sticks of cinnamon, broken into pieces
6 whole cloves
2 tablespoons black tea leaves
Granulated sugar to sweeten as desired
Using the flat side of large knife, crush cardamom pods to expose seeds.
In saucepan, bring water, milk, cardamom pods, cinnamon and cloves to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add tea leaves and remove from heat; cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain and serve hot. Sweeten with sugar as desired.
Makes 6 servings.

canyonphile
01-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Mmmmm....Chai tea....... :slobber:

If you want a really good Chai tea (teabags) available at the grocery store, try Celestial Seasonings India Spice Chai - it's my personal favorite :2thumbs: , and is much better (IMO) than Stash brand.

I make a pot just about every morning using a single teabag. I make mine with a couple of teaspoons of half-and-half and Spenda, but it's also good with honey or sugar and milk or cream, etc.

I also buy the Tazo Chai latte concentrate (they carry it at my Target) and make smoothies with vanilla protein powder. Excellent stuff!

SJ

Superriffic S*
01-20-2006, 02:10 PM
:?

donny h
01-20-2006, 02:26 PM
I love the flavor of Chai, but as a major league coffee drinker, there is not enough caffeine for me, so here is how I like my Chai:

3-4 Chai tea bags in 1 cup of water
4 shots of espresso
1-2 cups milk
1 tablespoon raw brown sugar

I like it large, speedy, sweet, and creamy.

Just like my...um...nevermind.

James_B_Wads2000
01-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Not too long ago they had a breakfast at work to honor someone catered by Starbucks. Not being a fan of coffee I tried the chi tea latte. Yeah pretty much I

rockgremlin
01-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Rock, you would probably know... can you help me out here! :?

Sure!

I'm surprised that you can't find it at Smith's, they usually have it (at least the 2100 So. location has it - in those big plastic containers). It's tricky stuff to find. Sometimes they stock it in the health food section and sometimes it's in the foreign foods section.

I can empathize with you about trying to find it. I once went to India Unlimited on Foothill Drive looking for couscous (this was my first time cooking with couscous), and they sent me home with poppy seeds!! :frustrated: Apparently they didn't know what the stuff was either!! :roll:

When all else fails, give Liberty Heights Market a call - they are kinda pricey, but they usually have just about any kind of exotic ingredient you could ever want - and all of their ingredients are very fresh.

Liberty Heights Market
1242 So. 1100 E.
467-2434

Hope this helps, and Good luck!

hesse15
01-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the ideas... I'll have to try them all out!

Hey, does anyone know where you can get some good couscous? I have been to 3 different grocery stores and no one even knows what it is... I finally had to go to the health food store to get some, but all they had there was quick couscous in a box. I have seen it in plastic bottles but, I don't know what the best kind is or where you can get it... any ideas? Rock, you would probably know... can you help me out here! :?
try wild oats store they have good food in salt lake there is one sugarhouse and one 6thsouth 7 east

Superriffic S*
01-20-2006, 02:59 PM

Superriffic S*
01-20-2006, 03:39 PM

rockgremlin
01-20-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm surprised that you can't find it at Smith's...When all else fails, give Liberty Heights Market a call...Hope this helps, and Good luck!

Truthfully, I didn't go to Smith's... I tried Macy's, Albertsons and Harmon's but, not Smith's. I guess I should have gone there first. Do you know if the actual couscous (you know, the kind that takes an hour to cook) is better than the quick kind? And... that dish that you made about 4 months ago that we had when we were over at your house with the lamb in it... where did you get that recipe?

Lots of questions... hope you are up to answering them all!

I've never used the "cook-for-long-time" kind of couscous. The quick couscous has always been easy to prepare and tasty, so I've never bothered with the other stuff.

That lamb recipe.....hmmm...let me dig it up and I'll PM it to ya.

hesse15
01-20-2006, 04:17 PM
try wild oats store they have good food in salt lake there is one sugarhouse and one 6thsouth 7 east

I try to avoid health food stores as much as I can... I always think that I'm going to be stoned to death walking in there in my leather shoes with my leather purse and wearing make-up!
no they do not care they are not vegan
you find meat and fish and usually food taste like food (form an italian) is just a little pricey

rockgremlin
01-20-2006, 04:58 PM
I found it. It's good with pork too. It doesn't give directions on how to cook the couscous, but just follow the directions on the package. It's easy - something like put 1 C. couscous into 1 C. boiling hot water - let stand 10 minutes...done!

Check out how lazy I am with the digital photos... :haha:

Enjoy!!

Superriffic S*
01-20-2006, 05:05 PM

hesse15
01-20-2006, 08:25 PM
I found it. It's good with pork too. It doesn't give directions on how to cook the couscous, but just follow the directions on the package. It's easy - something like put 1 C. couscous into 1 C. boiling hot water - let stand 10 minutes...done!

Check out how lazy I am with the digital photos... :haha:

Enjoy!!

Not a real easy "just print and go" kind of recipe... you're gonna make me do all the hard work? I wouldn't expect any less or more (at least you could have included a pitcure of the finished dish!). Thanks, tho for the effort of taking photo's, I can frame them and hang them in my new kitchen!
you can always find a nice guy that will spend all evening to cook the cous cous for you just to see you smile
i think there was one of the newbie that was telling about how he likes to cook
why not? :five:

LJ
01-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I also buy the Tazo Chai latte concentrate (they carry it at my Target) and make smoothies with vanilla protein powder. Excellent stuff!

SJ

That sounds like an excellent idea - going to have to try it when I get home! :2thumbs: