PDA

View Full Version : Zero G Zip Line

Iceaxe
01-20-2006, 07:47 AM
There was some talk a while back about the zip line that was rigged to avoid the Bombay at the exit of Zero G. I finally found my copy of the pictures. These pictures actually belong to Canyon Sparky who is shown in the first picture.

:popcorn:

jumar
01-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Looks like fun :popcorn:
I think I might try that so I can get my wife and sister through zero g.

marc olivares
01-20-2006, 11:04 AM
trash or not, it's looks like a HOOT!

i doubt i'd trust it as a permanent fixture, but it looks like something i'd setup and clean for my small groups.

Iceaxe
01-20-2006, 11:23 AM
This isn't trash. The guys set it up for the day and then took it down. Without the pictures you would never know it existed. The guys kept climbing back up the exit to do it again. Its really just a fun stunt and not really a practical solution. If you want to get your wife through the bombay I might suggest a guided rappel as the simple option. That way she could easily rappel out the bombay without swinging back underneath.

canyon_sparky
01-20-2006, 03:13 PM
That's me in the Pic. We rigged this mostly just for fun, like Shane said. We used a 300' 12.5 mill. rope. It was a little sketchy setting it up, but was a blast doing it. I'll see if i can find some more pics later. Right now i'm going night skiing.

marc olivares
01-20-2006, 03:27 PM
what did you use in the way of pulleys? single, double?

rockgremlin
01-20-2006, 04:15 PM
what did you use in the way of pulleys? single, double?

:haha: Ya, right. From the photo it looks like he's using his elbow.

Red Deer
01-21-2006, 04:56 AM
Thanks - that brings back memories, sans canyons. Back in the sixties we had a permanent (at least for one summer) zip that ran half a mile from about 30 feet up in a massive pine tree atop a 150 foot hill to the trunk of another tree down in the meadow. Was a steep hill - at one point you were about 50 feet off the ground, which seemed like being totally airborn to a 13 year old. Of course, no safety equipment, no worries, right? Well, the line came down after the first kid fell. He was OK once his leg mended, but the town declared it unsafe. We railed at the injustice, but of course they were right.

Happy Trails,
Reid

Iceaxe
01-21-2006, 08:13 AM
When I was about 5 or 6 my great grandfather had a zip line rigged for the neighborhood kids.. It ran between two cottonwood trees and was probably only 30 feet high and 200' long...... but to a 5 y/o it was like coming off the top of the world.

canyon_sparky
01-21-2006, 09:15 AM
We used a tandem pulley, they work a lot better than singles. If you remember Zero G. There is a huge tree right on the other side of the pool coming out of the bomb bay. We just rapped the rope around that and pulled it as tight as we could get it. At the top we rapped the rope around the choke stone, I'm glad it's wedged in good. We also made a zip line at my houde too. It's 170' long. pretty cool.