PDA

View Full Version : Any good areas to snowshoe in in Utah Valley? (On MLK day?)

Ryebrye
01-16-2006, 07:41 AM
I know I may be a bit late in posting this - but does anyone know of any areas that might be good for snowshoeing today? My wife and I have been itching to get out and go trounce through some good snow.

I've been up some parts of Hobble Creek canyon before - but I'm not sure if there would be any good snow up there to trounce around in with all the recent warm weather.

A friend suggested I try Primrose. Any other ideas?

Oh - my wife is 19 weeks pregnant, so something relatively low-impact (i.e. no 3000 foot gains in elevation in less than 100 feet of walking)

Thanks

david staub
01-30-2006, 02:10 PM
sorry to respond to this so much after the fact. There are several places to snowshoe in Utah County. My favorite is just past Big Springs Park. Go up Provo Canyon to Vivan Park (past Bridal Veil Falls). Turn right into Vivian Park and go 3.3 miles up the mountain to Big Springs Park. You will turn right into the park. Follow to the back parking lot. At the south end is the trailhead into the national forest. If you are only looking at doing a few miles, this trail is great. The first few miles are fairly flat and civilized. I was up there with my dog on Saturday and we ran into a couple of scout troops, a bunch of students, and a couple of families. After the first three miles out, it becomes steeper and more rugged. So it is perfect for a short family excursion and a blast for the more rugged snowshoer. Especially when you get to the saddle behind Cascade. It is incredibly gorgeous and a wonderful payoff.

Good luck!