PDA

View Full Version : 5.10 Canyoneers? Likes, dislikes, advice

dbessee
01-16-2006, 02:12 AM
OK. It's looking more and more like the 19 May '06 Cedar City ACA class. I'm holding off the reservation until I have confirmation of the time off but that's what it's lookin' like at the moment. :2thumbs:

Most of the gear recommended and even many of the techniques discussed on previous posts are familiar from rock climbing, mountaineering, and even a bit of tech rescue training, but the 5.10 Canyoneers (what did RAM call them in the freezefest TR; Bumblebees?) are not. I wouldn't have thought SCUBA indtruction would be handy but at least I've got a variety of wetsuits... :haha:

The descriptions I've been able to find are vague and the testimonials few. So what is the deal? I have and use different footwear for many situations and in wet canyons I can see tearing up my LaSportiva Clifs pretty fast, not to mention that they aren't great approach shoes, let alone real hiking. :frustrated:

Folks have recommended sneakers, which I'm not really opposed to (other than buying many pairs as I wear them out fast) but I've had pretty dismal results scrambling in sneakers as they edge-roll badly and the sole rubber varies widely in gripping power.

So I'm soliciting opinions on these. I have no problem investing the $ if I'm going to get a return on the investment.

Please fire away. Thanks.

:popcorn:

marc olivares
01-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Don,

the 5.10's are really cool water course shoes, but you won't be needing them for Rich's class. They are a nice addition to any wet slot canyon, but during his class you won't be subjected to any of those.
Chances are, Rich will take you to a couple of spots in the hills to the east of Cedar, one to do natural anchors and stemming, and the other to do a practical rappel in canyon. both of which do not require the use of such a fancy shoe. tennis shoe hikers are perfect for this class. in addition, Rich will supply any and all equipment that you need, w/ a variety of descenders if you chose to experiment w/ a few. Rich is a wealth of knowledge, so listen up and ask lots and lots of questions.

as far as shoe recommendations, i think you'll find that this a one of those areas where everyone likes something a little different. for wet slots the 5.10 is great, not perfect but compared w/ it's competition there are pretty nice. for general hiking or approach walking i personally like tennis shoe hikers (ie merril, columbia, new balance). pack hiking i prefer something that supports my ankles more, like a true hiking boot. i just recently got a pair of Asolo fsn 95 gtx hiking boots that i just love. they fit my "Barney Rubble" feet just right... :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
01-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Many people don't like the 5.10 Canyoneers. I don't know why? It's really weird because it's more of a situation where either you LOVE them or you absolutely HATE them. I have never met a person that is indifferent towards them. When I ask the 5.10 haters why they hate them, here's the range of replies:

1. I just don't like them.

2. They don't fit well.

3. I just don't like them.

4. They're not a good approach shoe.

5. They're ugly.

6. I just don't like them.

The fact that most of the 5.10 haters can't really explain WHY they hate them makes me believe that they just like being contrary. The 5.10s are pretty popular, and I think these people are just trying to be different. :ne_nau:

Personally I like them. I just bought my second pair a few months ago. I put my first pair through hell, and they held up very well. I wore my first pair through about 25 canyons. On all 25 of those, I wore the 5.10s as the approach and egress shoe into and out of the canyons.

I like them because they fit snugly, they drain well, they stick to sandstone well, and they're durable. On top of that, 5.10 has a smokin' return policy. If you have ANY problem with them whatsoever, return them for a new pair -- no questions asked!

rockgremlin
01-16-2006, 10:41 AM
I agree with Marc -- you won't be needing a fancy shoe while taking any ACA course. Old beat up tennies should be fine.

James_B_Wads2000
01-16-2006, 11:41 AM
I love my 5.10 and would never ware any other shoe canyoneering. I first used a rented pair to do the Subway a few years back and I fell in love with them. I too have just recently bought a second pair after trashing my first in about 20 canyons.

Pros:
First and foremost is friction. These stick like glue to sandstone, even wet sandstone. I thought this would only last the first few canyon but found the still very sticky right to the end. Second is they drain very well and will dry fast. Third is that they are comfortable and light.

Cons:

First they are a soft shoe, meaning the souls are not very hard. This means you feel more rocks under your feet than you would a hiking boot. I took a couple of times of me warring them before my feet got used to it. Second they suck when hiking in dry loose sand. The quick drain features also let fine loose sand in as easy as water. I had a couple of experiences where I was hiking across sand dune type terrain and having my 5.10

Iceaxe
01-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I like the 5.10 Canyoneer and own a pair. Actually I've owned 4 pair over the years. I like the Nike Reverio better and bought two extra pair when I heard they were discontinued. But after I wear out the Nikes I'll be back to wearing the Canyoneers unless something better comes along. I can't think of anyone I know who actually owned a pair of Canyoneers that hates them.

Most the negative I've noticed comes from those who wish they owned a pair of Canyoneers :haha:

shaggy125
01-16-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm actually looking at buying a pair, but 5.10 is coming out with a new model Feb. 1st, so I am waiting to see what they are like. It's not the bumblebee yellow anymore, so RAM will have to find a new nickname for them. There are some extensive reviews on backpackgeartest.org, including a review written by the emperor, Tom Jones. Here is a link:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Five%20Ten%20Canyoneer/

Eric.

Iceaxe
01-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Where are you getting your info that the new Canyoneers will NOT be yellow and black? Far as I know they are still going to be bumble-bees. 5.10 has some other products coming that might be good for canyoneering that are a different color.

And for a little history lesson.... I believe Kip Marshall was the feller who coined the term "bumble bees". Kip is one of the Zion guru's.

:cool2:

marc olivares
01-17-2006, 11:45 AM
anyone know what changes they made to the 06'?

maybe someone going to the OR show can check em' out?

jumar
01-17-2006, 01:52 PM
I saw a picture of the new ones....trying to remember where. I'll see if I can dig it up. As I recall there was still yellow and black, but not as bright of yellow. They ddin't look as obnoxious.

jumar
01-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Here it is...
http://www.ceffo.com/pagine/it/19/FIVETENCANYONEER2.html
Zoom in and you can see the yellow.

Iceaxe
01-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Shiiiiitttt..... that cute little candy ass strap won't last 10 minutes in a mae west.

jumar
01-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I've been told that they're more durable than the original. Made by a different factory. The 5.10 Insight looks like it has the same sole, and has gotten very good reviews. One reviewer hiked over 200 miles in his and they were still doing fine. Guess we'll have to see, eh.

I'm getting a pair of the insights for dry canyons, and as an approach shoe. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Iceaxe
01-17-2006, 02:22 PM
The 2006 Canyoneer is supposed to be available in March 2006 and offer improved sole, improved traction, improved stealth rubber. And it appears the ugly yellow color has been toned down.

jumar
01-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Here's some reviews on the 5.10 Insight. It sounds like a good shoe
http://tinyurl.com/9a4h3

shaggy125
01-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Where are you getting your info that the new Canyoneers will NOT be yellow and black? Far as I know they are still going to be bumble-bees. 5.10 has some other products coming that might be good for canyoneering that are a different color.

Just the small amount of info I got from the dude at the Black Diamond Store. He said that 5.10 is re-vamping all of their trail shoes this year, they would be a different color, and they are scheduled to get the new canyoneers Feb. 1st. He might be wrong on the date though if you saw March as the release date. :ne_nau:

dbessee
01-17-2006, 04:51 PM
As usual you folks have a great, practical take on this stuff.

Thanks for the great info all around. Sounds like the 5.10's will be a good investment when I get some experience and start looking to increase skills/challenge/frequency of canyons.

BTW - Picked up an ATC-XP. We were practicing self/team rescue and I ended up not getting enough friction out of the straight ATC when taking both mine and another climbers weight. Kept hitting the autoblock because I couldn't get the control I needed with that much weight on single strand 10mm (about 350# and it was live weight, as in "hold still or I'll knock you out myself!!!"). The XP really makes a difference, stops you COLD on 10mm with little or no effort.

Thanks again,

Iceaxe
02-03-2006, 10:41 PM
It looks like anyone wanting 5.10 Canyoneers is out of luck... It appears production has been halted for anther year and the new version of the shoe currently dubbed "Canyoneer 2" will not be released until the Spring of 2007. I found the following on Zion Adventures website. Zion Adventure usually has the straight dope on the Canyoneers.

After many years working with 5.10 at the design table with low, mid, and variable iterations of shoes, we came up with today's design. Proven over the last 4 years to be the most popular canyoneering shoe in both the US and Europe, this shoe has limited production in the US for 2006. Zion Adventure Company is the only retailer for these shoes in North America. Delivery of the Canyoneer 2, an upgraded version, has been halted for this coming season as we refine materials and attempt to rebuild the shoe from the ground up. We look forward to offering this new revision, the Canyoneer 2 in late Spring of 2007.

http://www.zionadventures.com/store/detail.amp?prodcatserial=303705

jumar
02-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Well that sucks

shaggy125
03-19-2006, 07:49 PM
I know it's a little late but I thought I would chime in a little here. I bought a pair of Canyoneers a few weeks ago and finally was able to really put them to the test this last week. I had planned on doing three canyons plus a backpack trip in them. We ended up only doing 2 canyons, but still did the backpack trip. The Canyoneers were the only pair of shoes I wore the whole trip (besides the time around camp where I just wore socks). I was hesitant to do this because of all the rumors I had heard about them being a terrible approach shoe etc... They seem loose on me but I decided an extra pair of shoes wasn't worth the extra weight, my pack already weighed near 60 lbs. My canyoneers were awesome, no blisters, no nothing. My feet were no more tired or beat up than any other pair of shoes I've worn, and with neoprene socks they were MUCH more comfy then my old pair of trial runners. The sticky rubber is awesome, I was really impressed. I don't know why they get a bad rap with some people, I thought they were worth every penny. I do agree they are pretty ugly though.

Eric.

P.S. TR of the backpack trip to come eventually. A short video of Trail Canyon probably tomorrow, just waiting on Google Video to post it.

Iceaxe
03-19-2006, 08:59 PM
I don't know why they get a bad rap with some people, I thought they were worth every penny. I do agree they are pretty ugly though.

The bad rap comes from some fall apart really fast and some don't. And its really just the luck of the draw to see if you get a good pair or not. It dose help the life if you shoe goo all the seams and where the stealth rubber bonds to the shoe. The shoe goo looks ugly, but really extends the life of the shoe...

agusta
03-20-2006, 10:09 AM
The 5-10 Canyoneering shoes do not come in women's sizes. The toe box is too wide and by the end of a long slog the lack of support takes its toll and my feet just plain ache. I wear my Montrail approach shoes and the sticky rubber works fine.

Carol

rock_ski_cowboy
03-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Hansen's Mountaineering (aka High Adventure Sports) at about 1900 N State St. in Orem is closing out their stock of Canyoneers for 59 dollars. Unfortunately it looked like the only sizes they have are between 7 and 8.5. If you are small footed, you may want to call and check if they have your size because this is a great deal.

Iceaxe
03-21-2006, 04:02 PM
I hear Five-Ten will have Canyoneers for sale in May.

Some are saying these are the new style Canyoneer 2, some are saying these are part of a production run of the old style to help cover the shortage until the Canyoneer 2 is released in 2007.

Anyhoo.... looks like you will be able to buy Five-Ten Canyoneers soon. :wallbash:

marc olivares
03-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Hansen's Mountaineering (aka High Adventure Sports) at about 1900 N State St. in Orem is closing out their stock of Canyoneers for 59 dollars. Unfortunately it looked like the only sizes they have are between 7 and 8.5. If you are small footed, you may want to call and check if they have your size because this is a great deal.

hey thanks for the tip...my wife just stopped by and kicked me up a spare pair! :2thumbs:

she also said that the sales person said that they were expecting the "new" shoe from 5.10 but couldn't say when.
i wonder if these are the ones that shane is refering to?

@ $60 a pair, i'll buy all the have.... :haha:

rock_ski_cowboy
03-21-2006, 06:57 PM
hey thanks for the tip...my wife just stopped by and kicked me up a spare pair! :2thumbs:

she also said that the sales person said that they were expecting the "new" shoe from 5.10 but couldn't say when.
i wonder if these are the ones that shane is refering to?

@ $60 a pair, i'll buy all the have.... :haha:

Sometimes I curse my Size 10 feet and size large body. I never have luck finding any shoes at close-out prices or being the only bidder on wetsuits, jackets, etc. on Ebay!

marc olivares
03-22-2006, 12:46 PM
RRRRrrrr pissed:

F'n 5.10's....
so my wife brought me home a 8.5 which is what my other pair is...
and they are sized about 2 sizes small... man they need to get their shit together. she said they had 4 pair left (2-7's, 1-8, and the 8.5 she got me, which is now going back)

the size inconsistency is my biggest complaint about these shoes!

rockgremlin
03-22-2006, 01:36 PM
If it's an issue of a mis-marked size, can't you send them back to 5.10 to get a "true" 8.5?

Iceaxe
03-22-2006, 01:50 PM
the size inconsistency is my biggest complaint about these shoes!

I'll ROGER that......

Scott Card
03-22-2006, 04:31 PM
I am also worried about the little straps. Mine over the years have taken a beating but have held up better than the sole. Also, any drains? Where are the drains? I am easily entertained by water squirting out the sides of my shoes when I step out of the water. I need drains.

Scott Card

Iceaxe
03-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Also, any drains? Where are the drains? I am easily entertained by water squirting out the sides of my shoes when I step out of the water. I need drains.

:roflol:

The first time I used a pair of Canyoneers I spent most the day watching the water squirt out the cute little drains..... squirting water makes slogging fun :thumb:

Iceaxe
04-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Latest update on the Five-Ten Canyoneer 2.

Good News: It appears the rumored shippment will be the Canyoneer 2's. Or second generation shoes.

Bad News: It appears the shippment has been pushed back until mid July. And don't be surprised if it slips back further.

:wallbash:

nosivad_bor
07-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Five Ten Canyoneer 2 appears for sale at Mountain Gear

http://www.mountaingear.com/item_images/mnfct2//common/five%20ten/m_203517_s05_blu.jpg

https://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Five+Ten/idesc/Canyoneer+2+%2D+Men%27s/Store/MG/item/203517/N/0

-Rob

snatch
07-17-2006, 05:19 AM
5.10 canyoneers...where to begin.

1. No ankle support. I've rolled my ankles countless times

2. Not enough cushion in the sole. My feet get bruised after long canyons.

3. Plastic straps? Who the hell came up w/ these? I've had them break during a canyon. Luckily we had a zip tie in the canyon.

4. Fit. They're so difficult to get on my feet that I've actually needed to clip a biner onto the heel strap so i can pull hard enough.

5. Internal foot slide. After canyons w/ a lot of steep descents or downclimbs my big toe has ended up w/ blood blisters under the toe nail.

6. Water drainage. The metal screens that keep sand and small pebbles out while draining the water from the inside have fallen out on ever pair of 5.10's that I've seen.

7. Stealth Rubber Sole. It is VERY, VERY sticky. However, I've seen the entire sole peeling off of the shoe on several pairs. Super glue is a temporary fix.

...other than that, the 5.10 canyoneers are great! :wallbash:
I can't wait to try this years Portivas.

Iceaxe
07-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Five Ten Canyoneer 2 appears for sale at Mountain Gear

BLUE!?!?! :ne_nau:

Interesting..... after everything you hear about the new shoe and the first time you know they eliminated the bumble-bee effect is when it goes on sale. I preferred the subdued yellow they were hyping over the baby blue.

I'm curious if they are actually for sale. Mountain Gear is kinda famous for offering items that are not yet available (mostly because there catalog has a long lead time)). Last year you could actually order a copy of the mysterious and long await ACA canyoneering manual, which was never delivered.

If someone oders a pair let us know the results. :nod:

stefan
07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
I can't wait to try this years Portivas.

what are Portivas? can you show us an image?

Iceaxe
07-17-2006, 12:39 PM
what are Portivas? can you show us an image?

I'm guessing he is talking Sportiva's..... just a guess :ne_nau:

La Sportiva - Exum River
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1960

stefan
07-17-2006, 02:13 PM
thanks ice .... makes sense, just never thought to abbreviate it like that.

Scott Card
07-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Something seems hoaky here. Did they totally bag the new design all together? Based on the photo on page one of this thread, it appears so, IF the Mountain Gear thing is real. :popcorn: I for one still like my 5-10's and hope the corporate boys get it together soon. I kind of wish they would put me in charge. :haha: Heads would roll. They must be losing a ton of money on this shoe as well as others. I see fewer and fewer 5-10 products on the shelf here locally.

Iceaxe
12-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Just a quick update on the Five-Ten Canyoneer 2. Latest word is they will be released late Spring of 2007.

The Canyoneer 2 is supposed to replace the current Canyoneer and was orginally slated for an early 2006 release. The release date keeps sliding so we can only hope the Spring 2007 date actually happens.

I believe one big problem is if Five-Ten misses a production run they have to reschedule. The Canyoneers are only produced during small production runs.

ratagonia
02-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Just a quick update on the Five-Ten Canyoneer 2. Latest word is they will be released late Spring of 2007.

The Canyoneer 2 is supposed to replace the current Canyoneer and was orginally slated for an early 2006 release. The release date keeps sliding so we can only hope the Spring 2007 date actually happens.

I believe one big problem is if Five-Ten misses a production run they have to reschedule. The Canyoneers are only produced during small production runs.

Latest word is they will be out about April 1st. No joke, I hope. They looked around for plastic buckles that would work, but did not find one. Back to the same brass buckles. Better sole and support. Pretty much the same shoe, but built completely differently.

Tom

Iceaxe
02-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Will 5.10 Canyoneers be avaiable through Canyoneering USA?

ratagonia
02-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Will 5.10 Canyoneers be avaiable through Canyoneering USA?

I'm now on the Sportiva Team, and cannot put out the green for more than one shoe, so - no. But thanks for asking.

T

marc olivares
02-02-2007, 07:38 AM
not to mention the space for an additional run of shoes...lol

accadacca
02-02-2007, 10:07 AM
So this is officially it then?

http://www.mountaingear.com/item_images/mnfct2//common/five%20ten/l_203517_s05_blu.jpg

stefan
02-02-2007, 10:35 AM
i think that was proposed as of spring 05.

nosivad_bor
02-02-2007, 11:48 AM
I've been using the five ten prodigy as my canyoneering shoe, it also shared the same sole as the insight , but its a little lighter. still takes forever to dry out.

The grip and sole on these is incredible and i felt it was almost better when wet. seem to be wearing pretty quick but i was using them under the most rigorous circumstances, grippy wet sandwtone, lots of smearing and grinding.

Anyway I give them three thumbs up for both canyoneering and generall duty grippy light hiking shoe.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Five+Ten/idesc/Prodigy+%2D+Men%27s/Store/MG/item/202285/N/661%204294967293

ratagonia
02-02-2007, 12:50 PM
So this is officially it then?

http://www.mountaingear.com/item_images/mnfct2//common/five%20ten/l_203517_s05_blu.jpg

No, that's the old one, with a color change.

The new one looks like the prodigy, with the ankle wrap and the plastic straps.

Tom

jumar
02-02-2007, 01:01 PM
I've been using the five ten prodigy as my canyoneering shoe, it also shared the same sole as the insight , but its a little lighter. still takes forever to dry out.

The grip and sole on these is incredible and i felt it was almost better when wet. seem to be wearing pretty quick but i was using them under the most rigorous circumstances, grippy wet sandwtone, lots of smearing and grinding.

Anyway I give them three thumbs up for both canyoneering and generall duty grippy light hiking shoe.

I'd second that. i've been using the Insight. Love the shoe. The sole is wearing out pretty quick though, since it's softer rubber. I've ended up only wearing them for canyoneering, climbing and caving, when I need the stickiness the most, and use somethign else for hiking etc.

Iceaxe
03-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Is the Five-Ten Canyoneer 2 finally available?

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/24642398/c/108060.html

I am cross posting this link from anther thread to keep all the Five-Ten stuff together. Here is the deal..... Zappos has the Canyoneer 2 offered for sale, but only in a couple of sizes. I have no clue what the deal is. I'm thinking this might be a small batch of shoes from a pre-production run or something. Maybe these are really first generation shoes that are mis-marked as 2nd gen?

Anyhoo.... the 5.10's have been hard to get for the last couple of years and those who like the shoe will probably be happy with whatever they can get their hands on. The Five-Tens are a very popular.

If someone orders a pair of these please keep us posted as to what arrives on your doorstep.

http://www.zappos.com/images/721/7213000/6900-449771-d.jpg

neumannbruce
03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Shane

Your last posted picture is what arrived at my doorstep about 3 weeks ago.

Bruce :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
03-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Nice.... looks like you got the 2's. Did you get them from Zappos?

Looks like I'm out of luck cause I wear a 10.

Unless I'm going to the bar then I always wear size 15's. :haha:

marc olivares
03-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Bruce,
did you have to up size the 2, like the older ones?

what size did you get versus what you wear?

rockgremlin
03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Bruce,
did you have to up size the 2, like the older ones?

what size did you get versus what you wear?

good question!

Alex
03-22-2007, 03:08 PM
I just ordered a pair, should be here tomorrow or Saturday. If any SLC people wanna look at them, you are welcome to come by... once I get them.

Scott Card
03-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Let us know how the size works. I had to take the insole out to wear a neo sock. I should have gone one size bigger with the old 5-10's.

Alex
03-22-2007, 03:18 PM
I bought the 10.5 size, I usually wear around 10. I will do a full TR on the shoe once it gets here. :haha:

neumannbruce
03-23-2007, 05:49 AM
They are directly from 5.10 on a warrenty exchange. I held out until the new ones came in. Been waiting for over a year. I haven't even tried them on. I wear a 11 street size, but 12 in 5.10.

I'll try them out in a week or two in some tight slots and see how they hold up.

Bruce

Win
03-23-2007, 06:44 AM
I called a local shop (Springdale) and they're getting their new shipment the first week of April, these will be the second generation.

Win

mrabe1979
03-23-2007, 08:22 PM
I recieved these on the 3-22. I wear a size 7 hiking shoe. So I went with the size 7 canyoneer 2 and they fit great with a neoprene sock. I walked up ferguson canyon about a mile and was impressed with the comfort and support of these shoes. :2thumbs:

Alex
03-26-2007, 06:14 AM
Well I got my 10.5 size and it seems too big, so I am buying 9.5 to compare the two. If anyone cares to look at them or try the size on, let me know.

Iceaxe
03-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Kazak, if you plan to wear neoprene socks make sure you try on the shoe while wearing said socks. It makes a big differance. Also, you can adjust shoe size some what depending on the thickness of neoprene's you plan to wear.

Once I find a sock and shoe size that work well together I usually buy a couple pair of neo's, because you will wear out several pairs of neo's over the life of the shoe and finding the right combination is not always easy.

anyhoo.... that's my 2 cents.

:cool2:

Alex
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
I now have 9.5 and 10.5 Canyoneer 2 shoes in my house, going to send the wrong size back in a few days. If anyone wants to try out the size, please PM me. I live in East Millcreek (east side of the SLC valley)

Alex
04-11-2007, 01:14 PM
FYI, I just came back from Canyons Sports place in Ogden on Riverdale and they have 5.10 Canyoneer in stock.

Wasatch
04-11-2007, 01:44 PM
FYI, I just came back from Canyons Sports place in Ogden on Riverdale and they have 5.10 Canyoneer in stock.

Are they still going for $90?

Alex
04-12-2007, 04:59 AM
Ummm, can't remember, but I thought they were more like 95 bucks or something in that nature. Under a hundred.

Scott Card
04-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Bump..... My buddy, Spiderman Steve, gave really good reviews of the new and improved shoe after doing several Powell canyons in several days. He had no lamination problems after stemming, swimming, hiking, scraping ....etc. No drains popped out nothing like the last shoe. I am off to get a pair, but where? Any other reviews out there?

mrabe1979
04-23-2007, 06:49 PM
I went down to hidden splendor the 16th with the new canyoneer2. We went through segers hole and then through little wild horse on the 17th. The shoes performed excellent. we made it 3/4 the way through segers and it started to rain really hard. We ended up climbing up on a ledge out of the water course and waited for the rain to stop. I was quit scared :eek2: but after that 10 mile treck the shoes are still looking good. :2thumbs: here are some pics we took
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/mrabe1979/canyoneeringapril16-17028.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/mrabe1979/canyoneeringapril16-17030.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/mrabe1979/canyoneeringapril16-17033.jpg

Iceaxe
05-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Short Update:

A bunch of the folks I canyoneer with have been using the new Five-Ten Canyoneer 2 for over one month. My first impressions are....

This shoe appears to be a major improvement over the old style Canyoneers. My current take is if you liked the old style you will really like the new style. If you did not like the old style you may or may not like the new style.

From what I have experienced and witnessed to date, and considering all other canyoneering shoes currently available..... If I were going down today to buy a new canyoneering shoe for myself it would be the Five-Ten Canyoneer 2.

That statement might change with time, more testing or a new shoe being introduced.....

YMMV

Iceaxe
11-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Zion Adventure Company has the Canyoneer 2 on sale for $75.

mrbrejcha
11-11-2007, 06:31 PM

I liked it when they had the used Canyoneers for 10 bucks.

Randi
11-13-2007, 11:58 AM

1. No ankle support. I've rolled my ankles countless times

3. Plastic straps? Who the hell came up w/ these? I've had them break during a canyon. Luckily we had a zip tie in the canyon.

Agree with all of the above. 2nd or third time out, one of the plastic buckes broke. Used a rivet to secure it back onto the shoe for the next time out. Eventually had to rivet the other as well.

4. Fit. They're so difficult to get on my feet that I've actually needed to clip a biner onto the heel strap so i can pull hard enough.

Yup. They get particularly stiff any time it's cold out. I would get muscle cramps in my calves just trying to get the darn things on. I solved the problem by cutting some relief into the shoe with a pair of scissors.

5. Internal foot slide. After canyons w/ a lot of steep descents or downclimbs my big toe has ended up w/ blood blisters under the toe nail.

6. Water drainage. The metal screens that keep sand and small pebbles out while draining the water from the inside have fallen out on ever pair of 5.10's that I've seen.

Mine were a bit big on me and they gave me blisters at first. I solved that problem by wearing two pair of socks. But the drain holes fell out, the side seams got tears in them and the insoles became delaminated. All of the above after less than a dozen canyons. Which in turn, allowed little rocks and debris in. Who the heck wants to be taking their shoes off every 15 minutes to empty trash? :frustrated:

7. Stealth Rubber Sole. It is VERY, VERY sticky. However, I've seen the entire sole peeling off of the shoe on several pairs. Super glue is a temporary fix.

Loved the sticky rubber at first. I wore those crappy 5.10 canyoneers until the end & got a good two years out of them at least. They pretty much disintegrated off my feet last trip, so I went looking for a replacement shoe.

Here's some reviews on the 5.10 Insight. It sounds like a good shoe
http://tinyurl.com/9a4h3

I just bought a pair of the insights and like them so far! With the exception, of having bought them a half size too big. I still need to wear two pair of socks.

~Randi

Scott Card
11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
The new canyoneers are great. I have had no problem with them in 3 canyons. My feet are 13's so I had to buy 14's. There are no half size for big feet. I found the 13's were too small and hurt my feet. They are sticky, no lamination problems and drain well. I like the neo cuff. My foot is narrow and frankly I wish they had one or two more holes in the buckle to really tighten the thing up. Other than that, best shoe (imho) on the market for canyoneering. My canyoneering partner has beat them up in many, many canyons and they still look great. He used to hate the old shoe but seems to really like the new one. Also, I have had no ankle problems or problems with the buckle. :ne_nau:

Alex
11-13-2007, 02:27 PM
I took my canyoneer 2 through about 8 canyons now and beat them up as a newbie suppose to :haha: I like them so far and every time I think I have blisters at the end of the trip, I surprise myself as I take my boots off. So far so good, I am surprisingly happy with the shoes and how they fit me.

shaggy125
11-26-2007, 08:05 PM

Now they are down to $60, with tax and shipping to SLC my total was about $74, not bad. They still seem to have most sizes in stock. I think you have to call to order them.

Eric.

Scott Card
11-27-2007, 09:25 AM
The 5.10's work great for hanging Christmas lights. :haha: I have steep pitch on my roof. I put on my tennis shoes and slipped and slid and scared the crud out of me, so I put on some cheep hiking boots which also slipped and slid. So finally the light bulb went on and I put on my canyoneer 2's and up on the roof I went. Stuck like glue. I did however lasso my daughters bed and anchored on a pine tree on the opposite side of my house so as to appease my wife. It was a fun time last night in the wind and the dark with my head lamp on, my harness cinched up, my shunt locked off and my trusty 5.10's sticking to the roof. I wonder what the neighbors thought? :lol8:

Iceaxe
11-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Now they are down to $60, with tax and shipping to SLC my total was about $74, not bad. They still seem to have most sizes in stock. I think you have to call to order them.

ZAC
435-772-0990

Iceaxe
06-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Black Diamond in SLC has the 5.10 Canyoneer 2 on sale for $89. Shoes are located downstairs and they had most sizes last week when I stopped and bought the hot young stripper wife a pair.

Redpb
06-07-2011, 07:41 AM
sonofa! I just bought mine two weeks ago.
On a thread related note: buy insoles to replace the crap ones it comes with.

Iceaxe
06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
FWIW: The Canyoneer 2's were retailing for $129 but the price just jumped to $145. Five-Ten already has them marked $145 on their website but a lot of places still have the $129 price tag, which makes the $89 shoes at Black Diamond a pretty good deal if you are wanting a pair.

ibenick
06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I called the BD store and they still have that sale going for the sizes left in-stock. Largest available was 12.5.

On that note, my last pair of the original Canyoneer's I bought size 14's to wear with neoprene socks and it was a good fit (I'm usually a 12). They officially fell the rest of the way apart last month so I'm going to pickup a pair of Canyoneer 2's. Is the sizing about the same? From what I've read most buy just one size over their usual shoe size but I don't think I could have fit into a 13 with my original pair. Maybe my neo socks are just too thick?

Iceaxe
06-07-2011, 11:01 AM
My experiance is that the sizing is not consistent between production runs of 5.10 Canyoneers.... in other words a size 9 is not always a size nine.

Your Mileage May Vary

ibenick
06-08-2011, 07:25 AM
If you had to make a generalization would you say that one size larger to accommodate the neo socks is usually fine or do a lot of people go two sizes larger?

Iceaxe
06-08-2011, 07:53 AM
It really depends on the neoprene socks. I always buy Neo socks with the shoes and consider them mated for life.

My shoes are currently one size larger and I wear them with what I'd call a thin neoprene sock.

FWIW: I've found a heavy wool sock is NOT as thick as a thin neoprene sock. If I'm shopping for 5.10 canyoneers and I don't have a neo sock to drag along I'll bring a heavy wool sock and make sure the shoe is not tight with those.

The only time I ever go up two shoe sizes is if I'm heading out to the bar and want to impress the ladies. :lol8:

hank moon
06-10-2011, 11:01 AM
FWIW: I've found a heavy wool sock is NOT as thick as a thin neoprene sock. If I'm shopping for 5.10 canyoneers and I don't have a neo sock to drag along I'll bring a heavy wool sock and make sure the shoe is not tight with those.

Try these:

http://www.sweatersintl.com/store/norsocks.html

I can wear my Canyoneers with these or with 5 mm neos. When guiding cold/wet canyons, I hike in with the wool and put on neos before hitting the water. They are the thickest wool socks I've ever seen, and work well with 5.10 Canyoneers. YMMV, etc.

jman
06-10-2011, 11:12 AM
FWIW: The Canyoneer 2's were retailing for $129 but the price just jumped to $145. Five-Ten already has them marked $145 on their website but a lot of places still have the $129 price tag.

FWIW - Backcountry.com at my request (I know the canyoneering/rock-climbing buyer for Backcountry) is now carrying the SAR edition of the Canyoneer2 (http://www.backcountry.com/five-ten-sar-shoe-mens). In essence still same show, however it has more surface area for gripping, improved and higher ankle support, and not bright pee yellow. And the price is $139, compared to the Canyoneer2 at $129. But, if you have a Bro Code (which is easy enough to google) you can drop it down by 10-15%.

And a side-note: And by summer of next year (2012), they should be carrying most of Tom's inventory (and of course if Tom agrees to it next year)! The buyer recently made a huge purchase of Blue Water and Black Diamond before I had her check out Tom's stuff...so she is waiting for that that inventory to go away before she purchases some new stuff, and unfortunately that's not till next summer.

hank moon
06-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I have not worn them, but have heard that the SAR edition of the Canyoneer is very stiff-soled due to a plastic shank. If true, might not be the best for climbing/stemming (but prolly nice for hiking). Anyone out there w/experience in these?

jman
06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
I have not worn them, but have heard that the SAR edition of the Canyoneer is very stiff-soled due to a plastic shank. If true, might not be the best for climbing/stemming (but prolly nice for hiking). Anyone out there w/experience in these?

I have a pair, and think they are exactly the same. Feels the same, acts the same - however the ankle support definitely feels better. The canyoneer1/2 dig into my heels if I'm not wearing neoprene, and I walk way with blood blisters on the back of my heel. Not fun. So far, in wool, the SAR doesn't dig into my heel since they raised it a bit.

I've taken them through Heaps, Corral Hollow, Lodge, and Pinecreek, and have no complaints.

Although, getting a $10 pair from ZAC in "sufficient" shape has it's appeal too...I have 4 used pairs of those for loaners and work great.

dougr
06-12-2011, 10:55 PM
On the other foot, I've been partial to La Sportiva. I did not like the original 5.10 Canyoneers 5 years ago, so I opted for the Exum Rivers. They lasted till this spring, in unholy beat up condition with basically a smooth tread and threads holding the sides together. I went La Sportiva again and got the Exum Pro (the River is discontinued). La Sportiva's "Frixion" rubber is probably not as sticky as the stealth rubber of the 5.10s, but the shoe is ungodly tough, very comfy, sticky enough in my use, and eminently great as an approach shoe.

Iceaxe
06-13-2011, 09:25 AM
La Sportiva's "Frixion" rubber is probably not as sticky as the stealth rubber of the 5.10s,

The biggest difference I have seen been the Frixion rubber and Stealth rubber is that in extreme cold (below 25 degrees F), the stickiness of the frixion rubber disappears to a much great extent than the stealth rubber. And if it gets reallllly cold the frixion becomes like wearing horseshoes on slickrock. YMMV.

ratagonia
06-13-2011, 10:41 AM
On the other foot, I've been partial to La Sportiva. I did not like the original 5.10 Canyoneers 5 years ago, so I opted for the Exum Rivers. They lasted till this spring, in unholy beat up condition with basically a smooth tread and threads holding the sides together. I went La Sportiva again and got the Exum Pro (the River is discontinued). La Sportiva's "Frixion" rubber is probably not as sticky as the stealth rubber of the 5.10s, but the shoe is ungodly tough, very comfy, sticky enough in my use, and eminently great as an approach shoe.

Guiding, we have an upclimb we do pretty often. When wet or especially gritty, I take a sling from above, but usually I do it on my own. In Canyoneers and other 5.10 shoes, I am somewhere around 50 for 50 on the upclimb. On Sportiva shoes, Exum Rivers and other approach shoes, I am 3 for 5. So, no, not as sticky.

I found the Exum River got torn up really fast. The Cirque Pros I got a lot of use out of and enjoyed, for dry conditions.

Tom :moses:

Canyon_Cal
08-08-2017, 10:21 PM

7. Stealth Rubber Sole. It is VERY, VERY sticky.

...other than that, the 5.10 canyoneers are great! :wallbash:

I just got a pair of these and agree with the above. My solution was to pull out the insoles and replace with the orange Super Feet insoles. The shoes are just dandy now :nod: